Looking for a quiet socket 2011 heatsink

x-cimo

Limp Gawd
Just ordered a i7 3930K with a Asus P9X79. Now a I need a Socket 2011 heatsink.

Any recommandation, I am looking for a not too big, quiet, in the 50-80$ heatsink.

I am not planning at doing massive overclocking, and the computer will be used as a server in the basement (already cool area).

Thanks

CM 212+ Evo now comes with an LGA2011 bracket. Should run about $35, maybe less.

There's also the CM 612 and X6.

Corsair H80?

Regarding lga2011 heatsink, can you think of one that is not too big that would leave all my 8 ram slot available. I will have 64 gb in there..

Thanks!

Regarding lga2011 heatsink, can you think of one that is not too big that would leave all my 8 ram slot available. I will have 64 gb in there..

Thanks!

Weight: 900g (1240g with NF-P12 & NF-P14). Mother of god, 1.2kg???? How come this does not rip the motherboard apart in the typical vertical motherboard in a tower configuration??

It also block 4 dimm out of 8 which is the whole point of lga2011 for me.. But its good just too big..

What dimms r u using. I can use all 8 of my GSkills on that one.

For $90 just get a Corsair H80, can be very quiet, does not block any ram slots, simple, effective, sweet! :)

For 2011, I would suggest going with the H80 over the 50/60/70 as it has a better radiator, and comes with 2 fans. It also natively controls the speed of the fans and on medium speed it's pretty quiet. Of course, if you have the room, the H100 is even better.

For $90 just get a Corsair H80, can be very quiet, does not block any ram slots, simple, effective, sweet! :)

For 2011, I would suggest going with the H80 over the 50/60/70 as it has a better radiator, and comes with 2 fans. It also natively controls the speed of the fans and on medium speed it's pretty quiet. Of course, if you have the room, the H100 is even better.

I haven't seen much of a difference between a H60 ran with push/pull fans vs a H80. And given that you can often find the H60's for ~50 now, they're the real bargain imo (finding an extra 120 fan doesn't account for the price difference). Now this all hinges on whether the OP has room for the rad, but if he does - for low profile cooler and quietness, not to mention good cooling, the Hxx series in general is a great choice.

I think the point is the H80 will manage the fan speed. The 60 you have to get a second fan and have to make the choice based off of cfm and dba. Getting the h80 means you have both fans and the block can slow them down during idle.

At work I have one in an iBuyPower rig we got from from a third party for a research project and I am really liking the H80 paired with the 32GB of ram and the i7 3930. It's almost silent even when all 6 cores are loaded. Although most of my testing so far has been only 4 loaded cores.. Before this experience I was not at all a fan of water cooling however the H80 looks and works very well.

I think that a Corsair H80 or H100 would be best - the block itself is easier to work with than just about any other heatsink. If you don't want to go that direction, consider instead Noctua and Scythe - both companies make high quality heatsinks and fans, don't cost too much, and I'm sure offer one of their (newer) models that will fit comfortably where ever you need it to work.

If you're just looking for quiet the CoolerMaster 212 is pretty cheap and works well, especially if you swap the stock fan out. I have one on my P9X79 WS and changed the fan out for a slow Noctua and it's nearly completely silent. It's also thin enough that it doesn't hang over any of the ram slots.

With slow quiet fans you won't be doing any crazy overclocking, but temps are good enough otherwise.

Back