Looking for a quiet cooler that doesn't take up half the case

MJGunn

Weaksauce
Hoping someone can help me with a suggestion, I'm building a quiet pc, and the last part I'm stuck on is the CPU cooler. I have a scythe mugen 2 on the way, but the more I read about it and see that it basically makes the 4th ram slot unusable and the 3rd iffy at best (especially when you're stupid and bought ram with a tall heatsink like I did), I've decided to keep looking. Any suggestions for a good cooler? I'm running a SB 2500k so it should run pretty cool, and if I do overclock it won't be to huge numbers, I might take it to 4ghz or so. Looking to keep it under $50 if possible.

My other option is to keep the mugen and mount the fan on the opposite side facing the back of the case pulling air off the cpu instead of on the front pushing it onto the cpu. Any opinions on if this will even work and cool the cpu decently?

Last edited:
If you have a big case then you should check out the Thermalright Archon.
My other option is to keep the mugen and mount the fan on the opposite side facing the back of the case pulling air off the cpu instead of on the front pushing it onto the cpu. Any opinions on if this will even work and cool the cpu decently?
It'll work but not effective as pushing does.

How not effectively, are we talking an extra degree or 2 or a 5 degree+ jump? I've got a fractal r3 coming.

Alright that wouldn't be too bad. And actually I'm starting to think that the ripjaw x ram I bought should fit under the cooler, apparently the ripjaw series has one of the shorter heatsinks out there (I keep saying to myself "you had to buy the ram with the fins didn't you....")

Found some pics here that are encouraging me

Not sure about the Mugen 2 but my Ripjaws can slip under the Venomous X and its fan holder.

Don't take my word for granted,but i'm still against the idea of pulling with a single fan setup.

Back