Looking for a PSU to SLI two 780TI's

Astralogic

Gawd
I'm am planning on going SLI with two Gigabyte 780 TI GHZ Editions. I have my eye on this PSU that I found randomly lol. I don't know if that's overkill in wattage or if I can get one cheaper. Is Seasonic better then corsair? Help ?? :D

Thanks
Astralogic

Edit: I want a fully modular PSU.

Last edited:
some corsair psu's are seasonic units. 1200w is overkill for 2 gpu sli, but i personally tend to over buy on the psu to be able to re-use it in future builds. a good psu and case are pretty much the only parts you can truly future proof with.

Seasonic builds some of Corsair's power supplies. But they build them up to Corsair's specifications. From my experience Corsair has the better warranty and customer service (they have cross-ship and give you a replacement no questions asked), but their build quality isn't as good. Seasonic builds a better powersupply, but their warranty is only ok and if they don't find a problem that you have with the powersupply they charge you. The seasonic I've had no problems 1+ year. The last 2 corsair powersupplies both TX650s purchased a year apart had the power supply coil whine problem.

I'm using a Corsair HX850 in my rig with two regular 780s in SLI. Power draw from the wall under load puts it right around the 80% range (620W-650W). You could probably get away with a 700W PSU, since power ratings on them are for sustained usage at a certain temperature (usually ~30C). But I like to give a little headroom, so 850W would be my minimum for those factory overclocked Ti's. Something from Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, or Antec would be my go-to PSU manufacturers.

I currently have a Seasonic M1211 750W, are you telling me I don't need to upgrade the PSU to fit two 780TI's GHZ editions?

Edit: I guess I'll look into the 850W's. Better safe then sorry.

Edit 2: What would be recommended there are several 850W Seasonic PSU's and I don't understand what the differences are except for modular and non-modular :/

I currently have a Seasonic M1211 750W, are you telling me I don't need to upgrade the PSU to fit two 780TI's GHZ editions?

Edit: I guess I'll look into the 850W's. Better safe then sorry.

You would be cutting it close and you really dont want to run your PSU near capacity. I always recommend no more than 80% but that is personal preference. I personally always go a bit overkill to never have to worry about it but in your case 850 watt solid gold or higher rating should do fine. I am a bit bias however I would go with Seasonic or EVGA both have excellent warranty’s.

psu power ratings are for component draw. so a 700w psu with only 80% efficiency will draw 870w from the wall. most power supplies these days are much more efficient. that's where they get this 80 plus business from. 100% efficiency means component draw and wall draw are the same, meaning your not paying more than what your system actually uses.

So what is the consensus? Will a Seasonic X-850 cut the mustard when you overclock your CPU too, or should you have to move up to the X-1050? :)

800w is probably more than enough. heck, there are users out there powering their overclocked amd 8 core and 290 crossfire systems with 800w psus.

I would suggest an EVGA 1000G2. It is 140AR at the Egg and goes lower on occasion.

Yes it is more than you need, but it eliminates your power concerns and has a ten year warranty if you register it.

A name you dont hear often is Ultra, only psu i buy now. Lifetime warranty, and I actually used it after 5 years my psu went out a 650w, they sent a newer version of their psu to me 850w gold, with another lifetime. Now I have 3 ultra psu a 850w a 1050w and 1200w. Cant beat a lifetime warranty.

I'm using a Corsair HX850 in my rig with two regular 780s in SLI. Power draw from the wall under load puts it right around the 80% range (620W-650W). You could probably get away with a 700W PSU, since power ratings on them are for sustained usage at a certain temperature (usually ~30C). But I like to give a little headroom, so 850W would be my minimum for those factory overclocked Ti's. Something from Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, or Antec would be my go-to PSU manufacturers.

If you're drawing 650 watts from the wall, assuming you have an 80+ gold power supply, you're actually only pulling ~585 watts from your power supply. Which puts you in the 69% load range. If it's the older HX850 with 80+ silver, you're pulling even less from your power supply.

Oh yes I forgot to mention I OC'ed my 4770K to 4.4GHZ is 850W till good enough?

Yes. Two 780tis maxed out on air will probably consume about 260-275 watts each. A 4770k probably maxes out at 80-90 watts on air. The rest of your system will consume approximately 50 watts. You're looking a maximum system load of approximately 700 watts, with typical gaming load being significantly less (probably 600-650 watts). So your current 750 watt power supply is good enough. Heck, I was running two GTX 580s (as power hungry as the 780ti) and an overclocked 920 (way more power hungry than the 4770k) on my Seasonic M12D 750 watt.

A name you dont hear often is Ultra, only psu i buy now. Lifetime warranty, and I actually used it after 5 years my psu went out a 650w, they sent a newer version of their psu to me 850w gold, with another lifetime. Now I have 3 ultra psu a 850w a 1050w and 1200w. Cant beat a lifetime warranty.

Ultra isn't exactly known for high quality power supplies. I would never buy a power supply that was an unknown quality, especially when the company has a history of power supplies such as this:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=174

I have that exact power supply, even though jonnyguru was my go to for psu info. I still go with what i experienced and share my experience with others. I have never had problems with my psu other then that first ultra psu i had and they stuck by their lifetime warranty and it was painless. So I can only recommend what i use. Been running in my system for 5 years no problems. Let me restate something LIFETIME WARRANTY what else psu has that.

Ive been singing Seasonics praises from the hill for years now - The only other companies I would buy from are the AX/HX Corsairs, and Antec's. I swear those 400w Antecs are flipping bulletproof.

I currently run an AX 860i with a 3930k and 1 (soon to be two) EVGA 780ti SC, 2 LED strips, 5 AF140s, 2 HDDs, and 3 SSDs. the AX eats it for breakfast. Stays silent except for when I'm benching. 800w and beyond and youre golden for SLI.

I have that exact power supply, even though jonnyguru was my go to for psu info. I still go with what i experienced and share my experience with others. I have never had problems with my psu other then that first ultra psu i had and they stuck by their lifetime warranty and it was painless. So I can only recommend what i use. Been running in my system for 5 years no problems. Let me restate something LIFETIME WARRANTY what else psu has that.

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean anything when your power supply blows up your motherboard, hard drive, GPU, etc.

I will FOR NOW stick to my 750W PSU, if I run into problem I will upgrade it, the thought of unplugging all those cables and rerouting them.... ugh.... no, please no.

Has it happend to u, never happend to me. Have a bunch of builds under my belt, to much overclocking to take in. Only thing to ever break on me was a 9700 radeon after I over volted it to much. To many fail safes in modern pc's for all ur hardware to just blow up.

I have to admit that you must be very brave indeed if you bought that PSU even after reading the review from Jonnyguru!! :eek: ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=174 )
Takes a lot of guts if you are willing to risk the integrity of your entire system in order to buy that PSU!! I wouldn't have done that not in a million years! :D

I have to admit that you must be very brave indeed if you bought that PSU even after reading the review from Jonnyguru!! :eek: ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=174 )
Takes a lot of guts if you are willing to risk the integrity of your entire system in order to buy that PSU!! I wouldn't have done that not in a million years! :D

OMFG. I just looked over the link.

Its a perfect power supply to give an enemy you really hate. Although if it was more then $30, I would find something else. :p

Back