Looking for a non-IPS 1920x1200 Monitor

dan415

n00b
I'm looking for a good quality 1920x1200 monitor but definitely do not want to get an IPS. I purchased a u2412m and it had bad glow in the bottom right corner so I returned it. I know TN monitors aren't so great for color but do I have any other options? If I have to I'll get one but I don't really know of any better non-ips technologies.

I primarily will use the monitor for gaming and do not want to spend more than $350. I want to be sure before I buy the monitor that it will have no corner glow. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
All LCDs are prone to backlight bleeding and the chance of obtaining one with uniformed black is entirely down to luck.

Last edited:
Do you think that IPS = bad backlight bleed or something?

Backlight quality varies between model to model, and can even vary between two of the same model but generally this is less of a problem.

I don't see why you should want to exclude IPS in your search for a more uniformly black monitor. Your brightness level shouldn't be that high either... defaults usually pump brightness way up which accentuate backlight bleed (and doesn't help with color accuracy either). Properly configuring one's monitor would help.

All LCDs are prone to backlight bleeding and the chance you getting one with uniformed black is entirely down to chance/luck.

I understand that but there are so many complaints about the 350-400$ HP, Dell and Asus IPS panels in regards to IPS glow that I rather not get one.

Original poster is talking about IPS glow (look it up), not back light bleed. Gotta hate when people mix these two up.

So you'd rather have tone shifts, poor contrast, bad viewing angles, dithering and inaccurate colors than IPS glow? Wow...

So you'd rather have tone shifts, poor contrast, bad viewing angles, dithering and inaccurate colors than IPS glow? Wow...

I had pretty bad IPS glow before on my u2412m. In any dark games or when watching a movie it looked like there was a reflection on the bottom of the screen constantly, but it was just glow. I know some people say that they don't have it but many people do, and I don't have the option of buying it from Amazon because they don't sell it anymore. If they did, I'd buy it again and return it if it had any significant glow like I had before.

I'm looking for a good quality 1920x1200 monitor but definitely do not want to get an IPS. I purchased a u2412m and it had bad glow in the bottom right corner so I returned it. I know TN monitors aren't so great for color but do I have any other options? If I have to I'll get one but I don't really know of any better non-ips technologies.

I primarily will use the monitor for gaming and do not want to spend more than $350. I want to be sure before I buy the monitor that it will have no corner glow. Any suggestions?

1920x1200? Those are usually overpriced and somewhat inferior to 1920x1080, and most of them tend to be IPS. There are plenty of TN panels at that resolution though...

VA panels are another technology with good blacks, no glow, and decent color, but they don't make them at the resolution you're asking for, AFAIK, and most current ones are too slow for gaming. Next year's models will likely be good, but they won't be 1920x1200...

If you REALLY want a 1920x1200 TN panel, though... I would go with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001540

Samsung can be somewhat overpriced for average performance, but the monitor will last you a few years and perform well.

If I can talk you into dropping down to a 1920x1080, though (the industry is moving that way and gaming panels are NOT made at the resolution you want really)...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

I think THIS would serve you better as a gaming monitor if you don't mind TN. TN is ideal for gaming in many scenarios anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014299&Tpk=GW2450

And... this is one of those VA panels I was telling you about that has good blacks and contrast, unlike an IPS, and has better colors than a TN. It's one of the rare VA panels that has a 4ms response time, so it should be decent for gaming.

It's actually the one I would have gone for, if I had both the space and hindsight. LOL.

1920x1200? Those are usually overpriced and somewhat inferior to 1920x1080, and most of them tend to be IPS. There are plenty of TN panels at that resolution though...

VA panels are another technology with good blacks, no glow, and decent color, but they don't make them at the resolution you're asking for, AFAIK, and most current ones are too slow for gaming. Next year's models will likely be good, but they won't be 1920x1200...

If you REALLY want a 1920x1200 TN panel, though... I would go with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001540

Samsung can be somewhat overpriced for average performance, but the monitor will last you a few years and perform well.

If I can talk you into dropping down to a 1920x1080, though (the industry is moving that way and gaming panels are NOT made at the resolution you want really)...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

I think THIS would serve you better as a gaming monitor if you don't mind TN. TN is ideal for gaming in many scenarios anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014299&Tpk=GW2450

And... this is one of those VA panels I was telling you about that has good blacks and contrast, unlike an IPS, and has better colors than a TN. It's one of the rare VA panels that has a 4ms response time, so it should be decent for gaming.

It's actually the one I would have gone for, if I had both the space and hindsight. LOL.

The Samsung looks very appealing. I can also order it from bestbuy w/ free shipping and return it if I don't like it. I'm probably going to go with that. Anyone else have an opinion on the S24A450BW before I choose to get it?

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, BLB can occur with any type of panel. If you are fine with TN's limitations, I believe the Samsungs are considered decent.

Do a search here, as I recall one poster liking the Samsung TNs... but I forget the models he recommended. If you want the monitor primarily for gaming, maybe consider a 120Hz panel, or the motion blur ones, being discussed. Some of those may be 1440p though... I haven't kept track of them (not a big PC gamer myself).

You may also like some of the faster 1080p VAs, so long as you aren't super picky about response rates/ghosting. They probably aren't ideal for gaming though.

It's your funeral, but choosing a TN over an IPS is very peculiar taste indeed. Have you even compared the differences in person?

Yes, I've had corner glow in my U2412m that was very obvious in dark games and movies. I absolutely hate that and would prefer a more even black than better colors. Every single IPS I've looked up that is 400$ or cheaper, there's always someone complaining about corner glow. Sure I could exchange it but there's a chance of getting an even worse case of corner glow. Its just something I'd like to avoid all together.

No, I mean have you compared the two technologies side by side? "Even" is the last word I would use with TN.

No, I mean have you compared the two technologies side by side? "Even" is the last word I would use with TN.

Yes I have and even though IPS has nicer colors, it doesn't make up for the fact that it has corner glow if you sit 2 feet from it (which is how far I usually sit from my monitor). The glow is way too distracting for me.

I looked up reviews for the monitor on amazon.de and there's a few complaints about the stand being shakey and the power button actually making the screen glow. This is enough to completely scare me away from buying it. Now I really don't know what to get.

Last edited:
It's the same as the others and the ZR24w has terrible black levels/contrast (500-750:1 contrast vs. 800-1100:1 on the new LED back-lit models) and they commonly have tinting issues.

Forget about the 120 pixel and get a 1080p VA panel. This Samsung goes for 250$, get 2 of these

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/monitors/led/LS24A650SEZ/ZC

There are no reviews of this revision, but its predecessor, the s24a650d is pretty good

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-samsung-s24a650d-led.html

It's the same as the others and the ZR24w has terrible black levels/contrast (500-750:1 contrast vs. 800-1100:1 on the new LED back-lit models) and they commonly have tinting issues.

Forget about the 120 pixel and get a 1080p VA panel. This Samsung goes for 250$, get 2 of these

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/monitors/led/LS24A650SEZ/ZC

There are no reviews of this revision, but its predecessor, the s24a650d is pretty good

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-samsung-s24a650d-led.html

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm already using a 1080p monitor :( Just looking for an upgrade to 16:10. I feel pretty hopeless about all of this to be honest.

hey dan415, you might want to consider the new VA panels from Benq, specifically the new GW2x60HM that's hitting the stores throughout december/january.

these Benq VA's are known for having very deep blacks, uniform screens, no backlight bleeding, no corner glow and extremely high contrast ratio (3-4x times that of a typical TN/IPS)

the only downside in your case is that they are all 16:9 format (but it's perfect for gaming so not sure why are you so fixated on getting 16:10, as some games don't even support it so you'll have to see black bars).

hey dan415, you might want to consider the new VA panels from Benq, specifically the new GW2x60HM that's hitting the stores throughout december/january.

these Benq VA's are known for having very deep blacks, uniform screens, no backlight bleeding, no corner glow and extremely high contrast ratio (3-4x times that of a typical TN/IPS)

the only downside in your case is that they are all 16:9 format (but it's perfect for gaming so not sure why are you so fixated on getting 16:10, as some games don't even support it so you'll have to see black bars).

I guess you're right, the BenQ screens that I'm looking at now do seem pretty nice overall. I'm looking at the GW2750HM currently. Do you think the screen will look to pixelated with 1920 x 1080 on a 27" display if I sit like 2 feet away?

Also, how is ghosting on the display? In addition, are VA colors comparable to IPS?

Back