Looking for a new rogue-lite

quadnad

Supreme [H]ardness
I love rogue-lite and rogue-like games like Rogue Legacy, Nuclear Throne, Binding of Isaac, and FTL. Darkest Dungeon is pretty great also.

Spelunky and Enter the Gungeon are alright (I'm not sure why they didn't click with me in the same way as the others), and while I love the general combat in Dark Souls 1 against regular NPCs I feel that the boss battles grind progress to a halt and therefore detract from what I enjoy the most. I haven't played through 2 or 3 because I don't want to deal with the bosses.

I suppose it's the high stakes combat that I enjoy the most - the thought that if I die, Im losing something material (progress, experience). Are there any games you might recommend that fit the bill? I was looking at Nioh but it also seems to have the same boss battle obsession.

Oh shit, how have I missed dead cells? This looks fantastic, thanks!

Yeah definitely, I'm all for any dimension that's fun. Dark Souls for example is 3D, and I love the combat. I just don't like the bosses which bring progress to a standstill; I'm OK with dying continually in a rogue-like/lite game where the content changes, I just don't want to be fighting the capra demon fifty times in a row to make progress.

Thanks for the recs on Heat Signature and Everspace.

Dead Cells for sure! Also check out Sundered. Wizard of Legend is also pretty fun, especially with two players. Those should get you started.

Dungreed is good. I like Unexplored. Cave Blazers. Chasm is kind of like that with a randomly generated map.

Edit : didnt see you mentioned Enter the Gungeon. If you like Rogue Legacy you will like Dungreed.

Last edited:
Aside from the "Lites" that I mentioned above... If you want something "Rogue as Hell TM" that's actually very fun, and a bit different. I'd highly recommend taking a look at Caves of Qud. I picked it up a couple of months ago, and played quite a bit of it. I had a blast with it, and plan to roll another character sometime in the nearish future. I barely scratched the surface in something like 20 hours. (Great game to play while working since it's turn based too. You can take your turn, get some work done, go back, set up your next move, take your turn, get some work done. :D )

Also, another rogue one that I really enjoyed: Invisible, Inc. For RPG elements, Shadowrun. 2D platformer: Mark of the Ninja.

If you can get through the (generally) confusing menus, ASCII artstyle, and learning cliff of Dwarf Fortress, the Adventurer mode is extremely detailed through it's simulations. Randomly generate world, pick a race, starting stat level, stats, and starting position, and off you go. Usually towards death ("It was inevitable.")

Have you ever wanted to chop someone's leg off, then use that leg as a weapon? Now you can!
Want to decapitate a colussus with a fluffy rabbit? Thanks to wonky thrown item physics, you can!
Want to punch someone so hard you have time (for your character) to finish eating lunch before he hits the ground? Easily achieveable.
Have you ever tried being a werecapybara necromancer? Thanks to desecration code and slabs, you can raise the dead, and turn into a really chill mammal crazed for flesh and blood every full moon!

In all seriousness, it is a very fun game, and on par with Factorio in the "Oh crap, it's 3AM" level of suck-you-in gameplay. I'd highly suggest reading tue quickstart guide on the wiki, but stumbling around until you figure out how to attack things is always !!FUN!!. Think of it as a more in-depth Rogue, but your worlds aren't deleted between playthroughs.

If you can get through the (generally) confusing menus, ASCII artstyle, and learning cliff of Dwarf Fortress, the Adventurer mode is extremely detailed through it's simulations. Randomly generate world, pick a race, starting stat level, stats, and starting position, and off you go. Usually towards death ("It was inevitable.")

Have you ever wanted to chop someone's leg off, then use that leg as a weapon? Now you can!
Want to decapitate a colussus with a fluffy rabbit? Thanks to wonky thrown item physics, you can!
Want to punch someone so hard you have time (for your character) to finish eating lunch before he hits the ground? Easily achieveable.
Have you ever tried being a werecapybara necromancer? Thanks to desecration code and slabs, you can raise the dead, and turn into a really chill mammal crazed for flesh and blood every full moon!

In all seriousness, it is a very fun game, and on par with Factorio in the "Oh crap, it's 3AM" level of suck-you-in gameplay. I'd highly suggest reading tue quickstart guide on the wiki, but stumbling around until you figure out how to attack things is always !!FUN!!. Think of it as a more in-depth Rogue, but your worlds aren't deleted between playthroughs.

Sounds a lot like Caves of Qud actually.

Back