looking for a new phone on ATT plan

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
so im about to sign a 2 year family contract plan at AT&T. Theres going to be 4 lines, 2 with iPhone 4's w/ the 200mb data plan. The other line doesn't need a new phone. So that leaves my line, and im looking for a phone but havent been really following on them lately.
Basically, im looking for a phone that is
-decent at texting (qwerty/touch, doesnt matter)
-slim(<14mm)
-fast/responsive (i dont know how to measure this because OS may vary and such.)
-doesn't require data plan

I'm definitely fine with buying unlocked phones and such to avoid data plans, but I dont need any superphone like the Driod X type of thing. I will have almost-constant access to wifi, so a wifi-enabled smartphone would be good. Although my main requirements sound like i can live off an old Razr v3 or something,but i would like one thats appealing at least. Im coming off from a Motorla Rokr e8, which was the coolest phone i've had. It looked sick, had great reception/call quality, played music, and had haptics before most phones did. But, the main thing was that it was slower than anything i've ever touched, so i stress on the responsiveness and speed of the newer phone.

I was thinking of something like buying a iPhone 3G and JB/unlocking it, so i can get all the app features, OS, and such while still being able to check emails and such through wifi. Although that would sound good, im checking if there are better options for me out there, for example, some google G2 or HTC-something and whatnot.

if you want to get something and not pay data then prbly an unlocked phone from somewhere else, or another carrier. If it is att branded then you are going to have data plan tacked on. N8? Its slim, i dont think att has the MEID, its fast because of symbia and has wifi.

nokia n8 does look sweet, but i guess i should have mentioned a price range. I would say something <200 USD would be good. However, i dont mind buying used phones, so if i can land a $300 used phone for <$200 that works too.

anything else? im just looking for suggestions for other phones to look into. An unlocked google htc G2 looks awesome, but its pretty hard to find a cheaper used one.

HTC HD2 hands down, can use Android/Windows Mobile 6.5/Windows Phone 7/Meego/Ubuntu/Windows 95 ..... your choice ;) and i can confirm i dont need a data plan on ATT with it (as i use my HD2 on ATT w/o a data plan)

it can be had for ~$150-200 on Craigslist

that sounds good.would i have to buy an unlocked one or can i use it for ATT after i install android or something? Because the HD2 is originally for tmobile.

anybody else have experience with the HD2 or any other phone similar that can be suggested?

Last edited:
Any smart phone from anywhere & you still run a very high risk of ending up with the data plan on AT&T.. random sweeps for them and all.. Honestly if you want a thin phone thats good with texting, then an android with swype is hard to beat.. But If your not getting the data plan then half the phone is going to waste..

but with the constant access to wifi, ill still have the ability to web browse, check emails and such as if i did have a data plan. I just will be missing out when im driving in the car or something.

Back