Looking for a new mouse, Razer Abyssus worth while?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I've spent the past few days trying to figure out what mouse to buy to replace my Sidewinder X5 which has a dying wheel (only lasted a few months!).

Always regretted buying the X5 anyway, I tend to be a finger tip gripper which doesn't suit the X5 at all. I rest my middle 3 fingers across the mouse and use my thumb and pinky on the sides of the mouse to do most of the controlling. I actually find my old Microsoft Basic Mouse pretty comfortable (at least 4 years old, dont remember when I actually bought it, was so long ago), its just a bit slow for my liking.

Looking at the Razer Abyssus it seems to be the right shape for how I like to handle my mouse, though hearing some reports of reliability issues with the mouse wheel starting to squeek and buttons wearing out after not much usage has put me off a bit.

Could anyone share some experiences, good or bad, with the Abyssus after prolonged usage? Or maybe suggest another mouse that might suit? I've looked at most of the Razer and Logitech range and nothing else really appeals to me (just based off the shape of them all and not so glowing reports of the Twin Eye Laser in the Imperator).

Cheers,
Tudz

I don't actually own the mouse, but when you say button squeaking, I think you may be refering to the older model of that mouse (Razer Salmosa)... Anyhow, there's a bigger issue you may be facing with the Abyssus and that is the sensor jitter. It has the same sensor as the Deathadder 3.5g, however you cannot update the firmware unlike the Deathadder where the fixed the problem. So depending on the mousepad you are using you may or may not notice the sensor jitter, can you let me know what surface you will be using it on and I can let you know how that may or may not work out...

You may want to look at the Salmosa however, it should have a fairly similar shape and a good sensor, but that mouse is known to have squeaking buttons.

Also if you really liked the shape of the Microsoft basic mouse, have you considered the Microsoft WMO (Wheel mouse optical)?, very popular mouse still used by many pro gamers, excellent shape and sensor, and of course very cheap!

I've heard of the squeaking salmosa buttons which can be fixed with some WD40, but also looking at reviews of various Razer mice people have complained that after some usage the wheel starts to squeak.

I've also heard the Salmosa has prediction and the Abyssus doesn't, though there's a shop near by advertising a Salmosa for only $33AUD, cheaper than the $49AUD Abyssus. Maybe Razer mice aren't for me, sounds like they all have some sort of issue with them.

As far as the mousepad is concerned. I'm currently using a Xigmatek mouse pad, got it because it was relatively cheap and its big, but after using it for a while I realise I dont need anything that big and it gets in the way more than anything, so I'm not adverse to buying a new pad. The Razer Goliathus can be had for less than $15, I assume they'd work well with Razer mice?

I am tempted just to buy another MS optical, its just my current one is very insensitive. I have it set to 1 click below the highest sensitivity because at the highest sensitivty it starts to jump pixels and it still feels very sluggish. Not that I need insanely high DPI like a lot of these mice have, but I found 800 DPI to be the most comfortable on my X5.

Well I think prediction is overrated... You wouldn't notice it unless you were in paint... So the Salmosa would be a great choice.

As for your mousepad, I think the plastic may work better then the cloth pads that seemed to have sensor jitters with the Abyssus, however I'm not exactly sure how it will work never heard of anyone using that pad before at all. if you do go with a Goliathus and the Abyssus, make sure to get the speed edition because the control has jitter problems.

And of course the WMO would be a great choice, I think it uses a different (better) sensor compared to the Microsoft Basic, but someone needs to double check for me cause I'm not 100% sure about it.

The sensor, even though it's 400 or 450 dpi, has no neg acceleration unless you are using an incredibly low sensitivity. Just try to bring up the pulling rate to 500/1000hz for best performance and that should hopefully do it!

I don't recommend the Abyssus. I own both the Abyssus and the DA3.5 and the Abyssus jitter is intolerable. The DA3.5 doesn't have the jitter, I might've just gotten lucky, or it's part of the fact Abyssus firmware isn't flashable and the DA's is (which I used @ the newest). The Abyssus shape is great but the jitter basically ruinds the mouse.

Personally I've moved on from the DA3.5 and now use a Xai (which I won by raffle) and it's honestly the best mouse I've used. Perfect tracking, perfect skates, perfect weight, wonderful shape, wonderful click feel and scrollwheel, and excellent side grip. I do miss the grooves for my fingers from the DA3.5 but the rest more than makes up for it.

And I've been through quite a bit of mice if that makes any difference to you.

Here's photos all from my own collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24081793@N07/sets/72157625122401600/

I own 3 jitter-free / minor jitter pads for my abyssus, coolermaster battlepad DP2 - zowie G-RF - roccat taito, steelseries NP+ is said to be jitter free too, here's a more complete list http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1881007

Lift off distance is kinda high on some pads too but apart from that the mouse is very good, just plug and play, you don't need any kind of drivers, adjust the dpi and polling rate with the switches at the bottom, set windows mousespeed to 6/11 - enchance pointer precision OFF, apply markc registry fix for windows 7 / cheese mouse fix for windows xp - vista and you're set !

I'm not a fan of Razer mind you, most of their products are stupidly overpriced and overrated, like the razer imperator and their whole starcraft 2 product line, their marketing also repulses me, they want 12yr olds to believe that once they get their hands on their products magically their frag counts will go up, it's common sense, you can't buy experience nor hand to eye coordination.

Anyway aside from the jitter issues and occasional squeeky mouse wheel the mouse is pretty much perfect as long as you dig the shape and weight, you get perfect 1:1 response at 450 dpi while at the same time most mice give you negative accel or in the case of xai/g9x/g500 etc you get slight amounts of positive acceleration if you push it too hard .

Oh and prediction is not overrated, i always noticed that i can make microadjustments to my crosshairs easier with an old school microsoft mouse or the abyssus, not all prediction algorithms are the same tho, for example kinzu has very strong prediction while zowie ec1 sports a not so strong one.

Well it sounds like the Abyssus is good as long as you have a pad that it goes well with. The other one I've been looking at the G9X, more expensive but it looks like it has a reasonable shape, though a video review said the right click was really sensitive which I'd find irritating because I naturally rest both my middle and ring finger on the right click button. Can anyone who has the G9X confirm that? Is it too sensitive to rest your fingers on it without it clicking? It also has the off center sensor, but I think I can get used to that.

I am still leaning toward the Abyssus though, as long as it has no jitter on what pad I buy for it, it looks to be what I'm looking for (either that or a Salmosa, might pick up the Salmosa first because its a lot cheaper than the Abyssus and if I think prediction is hindering me, get the Abyssus)

I never thought it would take me this long to decide on a mouse :) I've just wasted so much money on peripherals in the past, dont want to waste more. I guess part of the problem is there's no shops around here that will let you walk in and test different mice to see which you like before you buy, you just have to research and try and figure out from dimensions and pictures which best suits.

I think you would be best off trying the Salmosa first... I seriously doubt the prediction on that mouse would affect you so much to the point you would hate it. If I'm not mistaken the G9x also has prediction....

Anyways lets say the Salmosa doesn't work out for you, you should know that if you disliked the shape of the Salmosa then you would probably not care for the Abyssus since they are overall pretty similar. In that case you may consider the G9x...

The Abyssus and a Golathius Control is essentially perfect, error-free control for almost all sensitivities. The jittering problem is definitely there with my QcK+ but like I said, it's an amazing combo with a Goliathus Control.

And yeah, G9X has some built in acceleration.

My Razer Mamba squeeks when scrolling fast. In everyday use it don't though....

My Razer Mamba squeeks when scrolling fast. In everyday use it don't though....

But I scroll fast in every day use :p I actually like the G9x's free spin wheel, have had it on a few mice and its nice when viewing documents to have it free spin, a bit retarded to have the button for it on the bottom though.

I've got the Coolermaster Battlepad CS-X DP2 and the Abyssus jitters on it. Jitters on the Goliathus Speed as well (haven't tried the Control), and the Megasoma. So once again, your experience is not guaranteed to be jitter free just because of the mouse pad you get.

Additionally I have the g9x and experience no issues with the right click as well. It's a good mouse but too small for my hands and low sensitivity.

Back