Looking for a new modem and router or combo. Suggestions

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having to replace my Motorola 7315 due to the router sucking so bad Motorola is giving me my money back (They don't have another one in stock, probably because they are such POS.)

Combo modem/router or individual?

--I don't need all of the bells and whistles, and my internet plan is probably not going to be any higher than it is right now at 100Mbps download.

--A basic QoS would be nice, but nothing fancy is needed, or nothing at all really. Price is more important.

--2.4 and 5Hz, definitely.

--Other than that, price is the main concern. I want to keep it right in the $100.00 area give or take 20.

I would buy individually. Prices will vary these days. I did a quick search and here is what I would buy in this price range. Linksys AC2600 Router $80 ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 Modem $60 Arris modems are dependable and compatible with all cable internet providers unless they are aholes. Linksys is dependable and makes user friendly routers and so does Netgear. I would pay around $50 for a Nighthawk AC1900.

Only problem with the SB6190 is that it uses the problematic Intel Puma chipset:
https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/

Unless you're budget-constrained or your ISP is way behind, there's little reason not to buy a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. The Arris SB8200 is probably the standard. I've had good luck with a Netgear CM1150V (this particular model also supports telephony on Comcast, so you probably don't actually want it, but other Netgear models might be just as good).

Only problem with the SB6190 is that it uses the problematic Intel Puma chipset:

Unless you're budget-constrained or your ISP is way behind, there's little reason not to buy a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. The Arris SB8200 is probably the standard. I've had good luck with a Netgear CM1150V (this particular model also supports telephony on Comcast, so you probably don't actually want it, but other Netgear models might be just as good).
For sure I would never buy anything els than Doc 3 modem. The 8200 is way overkill for my needs.

I thought they finally patched that ping bug last year.
What do you all think about TP Link?
Yeah TPLink is OK. I use their ethernet over powerline adapters. I don't have a whole lot of xp with their routers but from what I have seen they work. I would buy TPLink over Belkin (if Belkin still exists).

Yeah TPLink is OK. I use their ethernet over powerline adapters. I don't have a whole lot of xp with their routers but from what I have seen they work. I would buy TPLink over Belkin (if Belkin still exists).
Your song:

Reading lots of reviews on Amazon and seems all of these routers have their problems. Not so much modems, but the routers seem hit and miss. Some people are having the same problems I'm having with my MotoCrapaRola. It works fine for a few months, and then speeds get slower and slower. I'll post a few before I commit to see what you all think. I need to do this soon because I'm going to get the return shipping information from Motorola soon, and I ant to get that back and credited asap.

Buying a router use to be so easy, and they all worked. Now it's like playing Craps.

One thing that is important is customer support. Motorola had that. From what I'm reading, ASUS and TP Link, sucks, with farmed out CS that you can't even understand, operating out of a cave on a 10 year old cell phone somewhere deep in central Afghanistan, or whatever. lol No way do I want to deal with that crap.

At least Motorola had excellent support.

Last edited:

Is a combo Modem/Router a no go? Seems I can find a combo cheaper than singles.

Found this so far.
60.00 Motorola 16/4: MODEM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E6BA2/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
40.00 Medialink, no QoS: ROUTER: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is a combo Modem/Router a no go? Seems I can find a combo cheaper than singles.

Found this so far.
60.00 Motorola 16/4: MODEM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E6BA2/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
40.00 Medialink, no QoS: ROUTER: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB
I steer clear of combos but mainly for upgrading. Router protocols change more than modem. If you can find a combo that will meet your needs for cheaper than buying separate, I'd go for it.
SB6121 renewed for $30 Thats an old one but it's technically more than enough for 100Mbps. Also no PUMA PING defect.

What do you all think about TP Link?
I have a TP Link TC-7610-E that has been rock solid. It's the first modem I have ever owned that never needs to be rebooted. I have never had great luck with any of their wireless equipment tho.

I run that with an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and Unifi APs, but that is way over budget once you add APs.

For a combo unit I would probably look at the netgear nighthawk C7000. It's a bit out of your price range, but IMHO it's not worth skimping on something that's going to be heavily used every day in most households. Short of that, if you have Comcast, their current combo units actually perform very well when you get one that works. You could just pay them the $10 a month and never have it be your problem again.

Honestly your combo budget is about what I would expect a 1/2 way decent wireless router alone to start at. You may want to consider upping it if possible.

I just upgraded my xfinity to Extreme Pro+ which is 600mbps and went with the Netgear CM1000. I'm loving it so far. I upgraded for the SB6190. I kept my mesh network, Google wifi. This is pre Nest wifi upgrade but no issue so I'm keeping it.

I steer clear of combos but mainly for upgrading. Router protocols change more than modem. If you can find a combo that will meet your needs for cheaper than buying separate, I'd go for it.
SB6121 renewed for $30 Thats an old one but it's technically more than enough for 100Mbps. Also no PUMA PING defect.

Eww, that's a horrible choice anymore. It's very old, and only supports only 4 up/4 down channels. I wouldn't be surprised if support for it has been EOLed by many ISPs.

I still maintain that unless budget is legitimately tight or the ISP has their head up their ass to just get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Otherwise, lowest I can see getting today is a 24/8 channel unit, and be prepared to replace it sooner than later.

Don't forget to factor in any savings on modem rental into the budget. For most, anything spent on the modem will be made up by not renting in a year or less.

I decided not to buy anything 'refurbished.' Don't need that headache. The cheapest I could find a name brand was that combo I linked above. Medialink seems to be ok, but they all hover around 77% for 5 stars and then it goes down from there. The reason I went with Motorola again was that their CS was really fast and no bullshiting around about it. He just checked the router, I did what he said--already did it all already anyway, plus polled the gateway.

The Medialink says on the Amazon page they have USA based customer service with native English speaking help, so that was did it for me, plus the price. After reading how bad ASUS's CS was with famed out CS and reps just reading over the top of you with a script every time you call is bullshit x10. Motorola was on it. That and the Motorola modem still gives me 100% of my down and up. It's just that shitty router they used in that particular model.

Motorola has a 16x4 also for 13 dollars more, but I figured why? The only bad review for the Medialink was one guy who said the power adapter said 1.5 Amps, but the Broadcom chip they say they are using requires 2 amps. So, he tore it apart, and found a Realtek chip inside, not Broadcom. I'll check that shit when I get it.

Last edited:
Eww, that's a horrible choice anymore. It's very old, and only supports only 4 up/4 down channels. I wouldn't be surprised if support for it has been EOLed by many ISPs.

I still maintain that unless budget is legitimately tight or the ISP has their head up their ass to just get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Otherwise, lowest I can see getting today is a 24/8 channel unit, and be prepared to replace it sooner than later.

Don't forget to factor in any savings on modem rental into the budget. For most, anything spent on the modem will be made up by not renting in a year or less.
As far as teh modem goes, my internet plan is 100Mbps. It's jsut me using it. I don't have any internet TV etc, just internet. I think I'm paying 55 for the 100Mbps plan and that's all I can do. Most downloads never let you get 100Mbps anyway. Also, it's also just me using the internet, no one else (Except for that FBI dude in the van. Man he downloads a lot of shit.). Anyway, I thought about it a lot and the 8x4 is plenty for me for the foreseeable future. I have two month I can return it and get the 16x8 for 13 bucks more, if I think some reason i need to. Other than that, it's just wasted money.

Now the router, that's where things get dicey. I'll try the Medialink and we'll see.

Well dont let this be your main selling point. I work for a company that uses the same thing as a selling point. USA based with native English speaking. It's all roulete these days there is no higher tier support that you can speak to its all tier one. You will get the same level of support from India based as USA based. LOL that includes being able to understand their English. Most suck at it and once in a while you get someone who knows and is not just reading from a manufactured database.

In most cases 16x4 doesnt make a difference. Unless you are fighting your neighbors for bandwidth.

As far as teh modem goes, my internet plan is 100Mbps. It's jsut me using it. I don't have any internet TV etc, just internet. I think I'm paying 55 for the 100Mbps plan and that's all I can do. Most downloads never let you get 100Mbps anyway. Also, it's also just me using the internet, no one else (Except for that FBI dude in the van. Man he downloads a lot of shit.). Anyway, I thought about it a lot and the 8x4 is plenty for me for the foreseeable future. I have two month I can return it and get the 16x8 for 13 bucks more, if I think some reason i need to. Other than that, it's just wasted money.

Now the router, that's where things get dicey. I'll try the Medialink and we'll see.

This:
In most cases 16x4 doesnt make a difference. Unless you are fighting your neighbors for bandwidth.

...is why you want additional channels on a cable modem. Having multiple channels available isn't necessarily about max throughput, especially if you're on a lower service tier. Giving the modem as many channels to choose from to avoid being bottle-necked by others on the same circuit to you is important.

Well dont let this be your main selling point. I work for a company that uses the same thing as a selling point. USA based with native English speaking. It's all roulete these days there is no higher tier support that you can speak to its all tier one. You will get the same level of support from India based as USA based. LOL that includes being able to understand their English. Most suck at it and once in a while you get someone who knows and is not just reading from a manufactured database.

This:

...is why you want additional channels on a cable modem. Having multiple channels available isn't necessarily about max throughput, especially if you're on a lower service tier. Giving the modem as many channels to choose from to avoid being bottle-necked by others on the same circuit to you is important.
Maybe I should get that 16x4 for only 13 bucks more?

Well
This:

I ended up sending the 8x4 back and getting the Motorola MB7420 16x4 modem.

I also got this router, which is performing really well, so far. It was 40 bucks! It only has a one year warranty, though. BUT, check this out below--->
61eYgS%2B00GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router - Gigabit (1000 Mbps) Wired Speed & AC 1200 Mbps Combined Wireless Speed (Part# MLWR-AC1200R)

THIS---->
I just requested this as it came up in my Amazon Vine review queue:
51QFyCflzSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
D-Link WiFi 6 Router AX4800 MU-MIMO Voice Control Works with Alexa & Google Assistant, Dual Band Gigabit Gaming Internet Network (DIR-X4860-US)
It's listing for 219.00 F-ing bucks. Is this thing any good? Reviews on Amazon are a mixed bag. Since I'm getting this free, I may send the Media Link back. That's 40 bucks I can spend on more Unicorn vomit.

This is what my adapter is:
Intel® Wireless-AC 9260

I just upgraded my xfinity to Extreme Pro+ which is 600mbps and went with the Netgear CM1000. I'm loving it so far. I upgraded for the SB6190. I kept my mesh network, Google wifi. This is pre Nest wifi upgrade but no issue so I'm keeping it.
I know this is a little late, but if you're gonna go above 600mbps on Xfinity, you need to get a docsis 3.1 modem, even though the SB6190 technically can support 1Gbps they wouldn't allow it to try until I upgraded to an SB8200 even after I upgraded my service. Which ended up being an ordeal in itself, if you have questions I can get into more details. Anyway, long story short, i'd highly reccomend getting a docsis 3.1 modem if you can afford it from here on out.

When it comes to router's i've been super, super happy with my Asus routers (using AImesh), but if you want to future proof that D-Link is gonna be far better than your medialink once more Wifi 6 products start coming out.

Last edited:
I know this is a little late, but if you're gonna go above 600mbps on Xfinity, you need to get a docsis 3.1 modem, even though the SB6190 technically can support 1Gbps they wouldn't allow it to try until I upgraded to an SB8200 even after I upgraded my service. Which ended up being an ordeal in itself, if you have questions I can get into more details. Anyway, long story short, i'd highly reccomend getting a docsis 3.1 modem if you can afford it from here on out.

When it comes to router's i've been super, super happy with my Asus routers (using AImesh), but if you want to future proof that D-Link is gonna be far better than your medialink once more Wifi 6 products start coming out.
Future proof, that Media Link is NOT! It was just a cheap router that so far works well with my 100 down 5 up plan. You know, that's what I have. I don't need DOCSIS 3.1 Modem, and I surely don't need that alien of a D-Link router either. LOL

It's free through the Amazon Vine program. Also, the Medialink says is has a Broadcom chipset, but a reviewer on Amazon tore it apart, and found a Realtek inside.

I contacted the vendor, and they eventually said their engineering department never told them what chip it was, but if it were a problem for me, i could return it. If you all think that D-Link router is a good one, I think the Medialink chip set thing just turned into a problem. I mean 40 bucks is 40 bucks, and I don't need two routers.

Besides, I'm currently looking for a 1440 140Hz+ 32" monitor. So any credit on Amazon helps. I'm also in the process of returning my old Motorola Modem/Router, and I'll get another 100.00 Amazon credit for that. So that will really help with the new monitor.

Again, just wondering if that D-Link router is any good?

Well, that router set up was slick. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, but everything on that D Link is puss. Damn! Admin is really laid out nicely. Happy!

Back