Looking for a new home NAS

mikey71497

Limp Gawd
Currently I have a netgear readynas duo version 1. It's stuffed with two 1tb drives in RAID 1 and I am more than half way through the capacity of this device. I want to keep this device on the network and purchase a 2nd NAS. The new one will be a 4 bay device RAID 5 compatible. I am having a difficult time choosing between a couple of vendors. A netgear readynas ultra 4 plus, a QNAP 419 or a western digital sentinel. Any thoughts? Current usage is a file server, media server.

Thanks, I did look at those and QNAP. I may just stick with Netgear as I already have one and am very familiar with the web interface. I may step it up a notch to the ReadyNas 6 Ultra. Not sure yet...

I use a QNAP TS-439 Pro II+

Its amazing, recently they added tv record support as well!

Does the QNAP support the streaming of MP4s? Also, is there a client needed in each machine you wish to connect to the device or can you simply map a drive in windows to each share?

Any pics if it in action?

I asked for a pic because I fully admit I have a severe case of blinking light syndrome

I recommend against the Netgear NASes. I have a Synology and I've used the QNAP interface demo and the Synology one is much much better IMO. My DS712+ has been my best electronic purchase ever. I love it.

I recently upgraded from a homebrew HP MicroServer N36L with WHS2011 to a Synology DS1812+

Pretty impressed so far. Tons of features! The only issue i've experienced so far is the unexpected way it handles (or doesn't handle) sleeping of disks.

Argh! So much info to go over when comparing these models.

@usr/home-why do you recommend against the NetGear NAS? I have had my ReadyNas Duo v.1 in production for over a year with no hiccups whatsoever.

I will take a closer look at the synology. Some of these NAS boxes are so pricey for just the chassis with no disks. Then when you see which HDDs are compatiable with the chassis, each drive costs 200+ bucks. The NetGear uses your consumer Seagates, and others, which allows me to keep the costs down on the drives themselves.

The QNAP TS-419P II seems very nice and the price for the device is right in the ballpark. I just have no experience with QNAP.

I have no experiece with Synology either. Will have to google and youtube them.

I have a Synology DS1010+. Would not chose any other brand. Rock solid, fast and takes any drive I throw at it.

Synology and QNAP both use regular SATA drives as well. I have various drives from WD greens to Seagate 7200.12s with no issues.

Ive been converting all my blurays to MKVs and was wondering why people would use these boxes over micro homebrews and after seeing the power consumption I can see why. But god damn these things are freakin expensive if you use more than two drives.

Yes they are expensive and that's the exact reason why I am researching this so hard. I want to make sure if I am going to throw out 800+ dollars, that I make the right choice. Then again, you can't put a price on memories. This NAS houses my pics and home movies of my kids. My wife and I would be devastated should those ever be lost or destroyed. I want to make sure I get a stable, and rock solid device with room
For growth should I need it. Right now I am looking at the synology ds1512. Same price point, a bit more, than the netgear readynas ultra 6.

I built my own NAS running UnRAID. Very simple and you won't be running out of space any time soon.

Ive been converting all my blurays to MKVs and was wondering why people would use these boxes over micro homebrews and after seeing the power consumption I can see why. But god damn these things are freakin expensive if you use more than two drives.

What figures are you comparing? Going from my homebrew HP MicroServer to the Synology DS1812+ i'm at almost exactly the same consumption. There are arguments for and against both...

Ultimately though i think it boils down to:

Flexibility vs Reliability

The homebrew option is infinitely flexible whereas the "real" solutions tend to be a bit more rigid.

I think with the true NAS solutions you are also paying for add ins, firmware updates, and support.

i have had a qnap for several years now and its great. A while back they added some cloud backup options in the firmware. I have my important pics and videos backed up offsite just incase.

I use the unlimited crash plan with my QNAP. I have a few TB backed up from my NAS to Crash Plan now.

is the unlimited crash plan part of the software suite or is this a 3rd party application thats built in that you have to pay for?

By the way, I think I have it narrowed down to two units.

QNAP-ts569L
Synology-ds1512+

Price difference is anywhere from 50-100 with the QNAP being cheaper. Each comes with chassis only and no HDDs. I do believe the QNAP takes more expensive drives. That may, be the deal breaker for me. Not positive yet

The QNAPs take exactly the same drives as Synology or any other home-built NAS.

Your Right...I didnt scroll down the hardare compatability list far enough on the QNAP. Thanks for pointing that out. Time to flip a coin??? :confused:

Try a demo of the interface for each of them. Just google for the links. I think you'll like the Synology one a lot better.

So I ordered a DS1512+ because I decided I needed a real NAS so I can make a few clustered/HA VMs without chaining the storage to one of the host PCs since that kinda defeats the purpose of clustering/HA. While waiting for it to get here (stupid amazon 2 day actually taking 2 days for a change) I was reading up on some of the features over and above what I bought it for, then I saw this little gem about the upcoming DSM 4.2:

DSM 4.2 also includes a number of offerings catering specifically to business users:
  • Synology High Availability (SHA) is now available on all x86-based models, allowing even smaller businesses to minimize the risk of downtime
Real HA in a < $1000 NAS appliance? I'll take 2 please. So yeah it looks like when 4.2 goes release I'll be buying a second DS1512+. I was planning to get a DS413j as a backup array, what with RAID not being backup and all but I think I'd rather have HA instead (maybe get the DS413j later since HA is also not backup, even if it is cooler)

I have the QNAP TS-669 Pro along with 6 Hitachi HDDs at home.
So far it's been quite a delight to have.

Synology DS112 DS212j DS1511+ DS412+

All of them have been fairly solid. I have had issues keeping iScsi Connections open and have also had issues with AFP. As soon as I contacted support (out of warranty on my 1511+), they got on my NAS, found the issue, patched it, and applied it to the next DSM upgrade. That really won me over.

Snology's DSM interface and support is second to none.

I ended up going with the Western Digital Sentinel 4TB model for my main server and a HP Micro Server with two 2TB drives running on freenas as my backup. I was looking Into the synology however the price point for the one I wanted was just too much especially since it came with chassis only and no drives.

Both the WD and HP hAve been great thus far. No complaints whatsoever.

I am running a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 stuffed with 4 x 3 TB seagate drives.

Works like a champ (super fast) streams HD to my HTPC with ease and the software is very easy to manage.

The only complaint is the fan on it is loud, but with 4 hard drives each running around 30-35 degrees C i can understand the need for it.

Back