Looking for a new game—D3?

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I just hit colonel on BF3. Enjoy the game, but I'm not terribly good at it. I would like to try something new and possibly outside my comfort zone.

• Probably no MMORPGs. Woud love to play EVE, but I can't seem to play these games casually. I either don't play them or use them as life replacements.
  • I've always been a Sci-Fi person. Never was much into spells and magic, but would be willing to try it out. (Skyrim? D3?)
  • Loved Mass Effect because it was story-driven rather than cut-throat-competitive-online-multiplayer-driven. Winning > merciless destruction at the hands of much better players.

Any suggestions?

Hi All,

I just hit colonel on BF3. Enjoy the game, but I'm not terribly good at it. I would like to try something new and possibly outside my comfort zone.

• Probably no MMORPGs. Woud love to play EVE, but I can't seem to play these games casually. I either don't play them or use them as life replacements.
  • I've always been a Sci-Fi person. Never was much into spells and magic, but would be willing to try it out. (Skyrim? D3?)
  • Loved Mass Effect because it was story-driven rather than cut-throat-competitive-online-multiplayer-driven. Winning > merciless destruction at the hands of much better players.

Any suggestions?

this prolly didnt need its own thread but yeah man both skyrim and d3 are tight. personally I formated my computer and lost my skyrim game and quit that shit forever. D3 I am playing a lot and I love it :)

Have you played Dead Space 1 & 2? Good sci fi 3rd person shooters, decent story (IMO) and the tension/horror theme is well done.

Have you played Dead Space 1 & 2? Good sci fi 3rd person shooters, decent story (IMO) and the tension/horror theme is well done.

YEAH. Dead Space 1 I thought was significantly better then 2.. :D I concur with this suggestion. I bet it'd be cheap. :)

I thought 1 was scarier, and 2 was more action.

I really liked that in the second one, Isaac talked. Made the overall game so much better.

No MMORPGs? I have to throw out the upcoming (if ever..) GW2. I am biased though. lol

Have you tried portal 1/2? Great games that are really fun.

Skyrim of course. It is so popular for a reason, especially if you like RPG. I can't get on board with it though because I need online interaction with people... Just me though.

BF3 is a great game, maybe try out MW3 or Crysis 2 if you like the genre? Note, MW3 is a lot more popular on console though and Crysis 2 will also likely be tough if you found BF3 difficult. MW3 is a lot more running around and a lot less tactical I find.

Anno 2077 / Civilization V? If you like strategy these are pretty great. Both were fun and got old quick.

Good Luck.

Sc-fi person?
You wont find a better sci-fi FPS than System Shock 2.

If you want a Diablo game, I'd recommend D2.

Also I never played it but it got rave reviews, Deus Ex: HR.

Why haven't you played this, man?

DX:HR is my favorite game of the last, well, 8 years or so. Really fuckin well done if you ask me. And it's not over in the blink of an eye.

I remember after playing it a bit i had all these things i didn't like exactly, but recently i went back and played DX... turns out most of those things i didn't like about HR, were taken straight from DX! =P

I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2, though not overly excited about it.

GW is great because it's a more action oriented MMO. You can play 20 minutes no problem. It's much more healthy in that sense than other MMO's where the mechanics of the game tends to keep you tied to the computer for hours at a time.

Another aspect I loved about the original Guild Wars was that you could advance through the whole story line almost as if it was offline. Even though you'd often need to work with people to complete missions, you have a clear story progression, and it took time and you had the sense of completion. I finished all the story of Guild Wars and expansions and then moved on. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I explored most areas, and had lots of fun. And after that, because there is no subscription, I was free to pop in at any time and play 20 minutes here or there, or go PvP :)

Besides that, I would highly recommend Path of Exile. If you're looking for a true successor to Diablo 2. First act is a little bit drab, and the game really picks up at level 20 or so. My melee ranger (odd ball build) is a lot more fun to play than in Diablo. I actually have * 6 * skills on keyboards and mouse and ALL of them are useful and helpful in different situations. Combat is really nice once you get to the second difficulty (Cruel) things become very interesting. They really imporved on Diablo 2 , keeping all the good things and adding more depth: huge passive tree, lots of active skills that drop as gems, that you can level, really nice post process effects for all spells and melee skills, socketing, creating rares and magics , combining skill gems with support gems etc.

Path of Exile is currently in closed beta but you can buy a "support pack" for 10$ to play whenever you want. Well worth it, in my opinion. I think it will go public beta in the summer.

Edit:

Here is a nice intro video to Path of Exile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OykSPVrX2NY

Something I forgot to mention is that it's very well optimized. I'm running it at 50-60 FPS at 2560x1440 + Vsync, on a 4850M iMac (late 2009).

Last edited:
this prolly didnt need its own thread but yeah man both skyrim and d3 are tight. personally I formated my computer and lost my skyrim game and quit that shit forever. D3 I am playing a lot and I love it :)

Doesn't skyrim have "cloud" saving?

I actually have * 6 * skills on keyboards and mouse and ALL of them are useful and helpful in different situations.

8 ability slots in total. M1 MMB M2 Q W E R T

I use about 5 regularly, with the other 3 being situational or enemy type specific.

Besides that, I would highly recommend Path of Exile. If you're looking for a true successor to Diablo 2. First act is a little bit drab, and the game really picks up at level 20 or so. ... They really imporved on Diablo 2 , keeping all the good things and adding more depth: huge passive tree, lots of active skills that drop as gems, that you can level, really nice post process effects for all spells and melee skills, socketing, creating rares and magics , combining skill gems with support gems etc.

I also recommend Path of Exile. I enjoy it so much I bought $50 worth of points.

I've played up to level 64 in PoE and I played D3 up to level 31 so far.
I'm getting the impression that crafting is only useful in D3 after you've beaten the first two difficulties. There's two reasons for this:
1. The blacksmith is prohibitively expensive to upgrade on your first playthrough and you're better off upgrading your stash
2. You'll get guaranteed items in the Auction House and make more money by selling your items in AH rather than vendoring them. Gold is still a problem, so it's more cost effective to buy an item from the AH rather than destroy 4 rares to get the yellow teeth to craft.

In PoE, crafting is useful from the beginning. Orbs of Transmutation are widely available and you can find any decent white weapon of your choice in the next tier and upgrade it to magic. Reroll the stats with an orb of alteration if necessary. There's no need to spend 50k gold at the blacksmith to upgrade and they don't give you a smurf stash to start.

The $10 entrance fee for instant access to the PoE beta is so cheap you shouldn't even hesitate. This is a steam summer sale price for a game with so much replayability. The D3 story is nice and PoE so far has virtually none, but it is 10x more fun to find viable builds in PoE than remapping skills in D3.

Where/how do you respect in PoE?

Orb of Regret and a couple quests give respec points. You'll likely never get enough orbs to do a complete respec, and you get like 2 quest based respec points per playthrough.

Essentially, you'll either want to plan a build around certain skills, or try to make a botched build viable. If you don't get the skill gems you need via quest or drop, they can be bartered for.

Right now, I tend to plan out a build for certain skills, plan out the gear sockets + support slots, then try to pile on a bit of +quantity mods early on with some +rarity too.

if it does i dont know how to get the save ;(

If you have it on (should be on by default, check in settings> Downloads+Cloud at the bottom) when you download/install/run the game it will also download the most recent save and any steam workshop mods. Then you just play it, and it should be on the saved/recent game list.

Back