Looking for a MP3 bit rate changer

rsnellma

Gawd
Hi,
I am looking for a MP3 bit-rate changer. I am recording my pastor's sermons onto my Creative ZEN Nano Plus MP3 Player using the Line-In. My only options of bit-rate are 96kbps, 128kbps or 160kbps. I would like to reduce that bit-rate down to say 18kbps. It is only him speaking, so there is no need for great quality, because there is no music and such.

I was wondering if Windows Media Player or RealPlayer can do this.

Does anyone know of a FreeWare program that can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

You can do it via a command prompt with any compiled encoder, or use a front-end like CDex (which comes with LAME, a reasonably good encoder). It's not "bit rate changing", but you are re-compressing, so the quality loss will be tangible.

You ever heard of "Switch"? It is free and I think it will do what I want it to and very simple too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob2001

I use dBPowerAMP, but after $30 days you need to buy the mp3 codec. If your Zen can record to a different format you should be fine with it, since most other codecs can be downloaded for free.

You could also try WinLAME. It's a version of the LAME MP3 encoder (the best) with a nice frontend. All open-source and free as well.

Back