Looking for a motherboard with AGP and AMD skt 939

I'm looking at a few boards.Because I have a BFG Tech. 6800 Ultra AGP. But not sure which one to get.But here I go.The first one's are MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 Ultra and MSI K8N Neo2-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra.Whats the difference between the two.All I see is that the Platinum has two lan ports and IEEE 1394.Is that it. And which is better.I can Get the Platinum for $126 and the Neo2-F for $77.I'm having a hard time finding the Platinum.The second one's are the ASUS A8V DELUXE Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro and the ABIT AV8 Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro or ABIT AV8-3RD EYE VIA K8T800 PRO.I do overclock.But I don't overclock to the extreme.For memory I'll be using OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum or Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 1 DDR 400 (PC 3200),if I go for two gig.And Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 600 (PC 4800) Dual Channel Kit or OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel,if I go one gig.Looking at getting a 3500+AMD cpu.Was looking at the 3000+ AMD cpu.But I heard Its better to get a cpu with a higher multiplier.Is that true?If not I could save some money.I'm looking to be at least 2200Mhz or more.I'v read that the 3000+ is a great overclocker.One more thought.If I plan on going dual core which of these motherboards would be the best to go with?I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can give.Sorry so long.Thanks... :)

with the video card you have i suggest you dont go with the nf3 ultra chipset. i had serious stuttering. bad enough it wouldnt run any games or 3d benchmarks at all.

i am still trying decide which motherboard to get. either its going to be the abit av8 or the asrock dual939 sata 2. from all i have rad the asrock is a great board. limited on features though.

as far as memory not sure there. i have some corsair xms pc3200xl tccd 2x512 that im going to use.

any of the other mb's will support the x2. i went with the 3500 as i got it for $5 more then the 3200.

ive never had any issues with my K8N Neo 2 Platinum, and its for sale for $70 if you are interested...

honestly...

id sell teh Ultra on ebay. theres actually a demand for GT/Ultras more so than PCIe cards cause theyre being phased out, and its your chance to get rid of it and pick up a new card (either a new 6800U or a 7800GT)

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...atitle=6800+ultra&saprchi=&coentrypage=search

should be able to get ~350 out of it if you have all the retail stuff

as for hte boards. there are 3 NF3 boards with 939 - the neo2, which i just sold. i had to RMA it twice, the PWM control whined like a little bitch with my X2, and i had general other problems. all NF3 chipsetted boards have two SATA ports unlocked, which means corruption at high HTT speeds. the Epox board only has X2 support in beta form, evendently its rather hard to program X2 support onto NF3 due to diffenret code type.

i wouldnt touch anything wtih a VIA chipset with a 10ft pole, but thats just me. ive had to deal with too much shit from them in the past.

lithium726 said:
i wouldnt touch anything wtih a VIA chipset with a 10ft pole, but thats just me. ive had to deal with too much shit from them in the past.
funny Ive never had a prob with any via chipset but maybe I am lucky.

The rev2.0 of the asus a8v is rock solid and OC's pretty good too.

flynlr said:
funny Ive never had a prob with any via chipset but maybe I am lucky.

The rev2.0 of the asus a8v is rock solid and OC's pretty good too.
ive had problems with every generation of VIA chipset ive owned, and ive owned quite a few..

KT133A, Pro266t, KT333, KT400, KT600

each and every one of these boards has their own unique problems... 4 are ASUS, 2 were MSI. the MSI boards were worse than the ASUS ones though.

We too have had problems in the past with VIA chipset boards.
We came upon an Abit AV8 VIA chipset board. AGP and socket 939 processor.
One of the best performing board we have ever had.
Between November 2004 and May 2005 I tried three nF3 Ultra boards. Epox, MSI, DFI. Out of these three the DFI was the only one that with a hi OC would perform as well as the AV8 at default speeds.
After all this testing, I decided to go with a new AV8.
The most agrivating thing with the AV8 is selection of memory to use in this board.
If you select the AV8, just get yourself a 1gb kit of TCCD chips on BrainPower PCB's. You will never regret this selection.
The AV8 is X2 compatable out of the box.
If you want to run a raid array using SATA drives.
You will have to either use bios 819, this bios is sorta limited in settings for OC'ng.
The better option is in the AbitForum, a post named "Fix for the X850 XT video card and SATA raid" (something of that nature)
There is a modded bios in a post in this thread that combines all the OC'ng settings of bios 824 and the raid bios files in driver 39.
This fellow has named this modded bios to A64-824_39.bin.
I am running this bios now and wish I had not sold my pair of raid hard drives.

lithium726 said:
4 are ASUS, 2 were MSI

thats you're problem. if you had ABIT, there wouldn't have been an issue :p

dammit, I want a NF3 939 board but can't decide if I want a Neo2 Platnium or a -F. I'm going to be overclocking like hell, but don't really want to pay $50 more for the platnuim. does it really OC better?

Bugalaman said:
dammit, I want a NF3 939 board but can't decide if I want a Neo2 Platnium or a -F. I'm going to be overclocking like hell, but don't really want to pay $50 more for the platnuim. does it really OC better?
probably not. just as a caution though, ive had mine die on me twice. the plat is like 75 shipped at ZZF now

There is no difference between the Plat and the F in terms of overclocking. I had a plat (which died on me) and now I have an F because I was too impatient to wait on the RMA.

Neither OC "all" that well with the e6 tho since the 1.8 and older bios' don't really support the chips correctly...but it isn't what I would say bad either. 270 htt using a 183 divider (1.c ballistix modified bios) and a 10 multi is the best I can do that's 100% prime stable. Out of the 939 boards I'd say the MSI is a good choice, just be prepared to possibly RMA it.

Back