Looking for a motherboard to go with a Ryzen 3 1200

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, could someone tell me what is a good but as cheap as possible board to go well with a Ryzen 3 1200 and GTX 750, no overclocking is necessary.

Thanks

Edit: How about the ASUS MB Prime A320M-K?

Last edited:
ASRock b450m-hdv

Don't get the r4.0, regular HDV.

Should be an uptick in used B450 and x470 boards in a couple days for those trying to offset x570.

For really truly as cheap as possible, whatever the cheapest A320 board of the day is. Probably Asrock A320M-HDV or Gigabyte A320M-S2H. You aren't going to save more than $10 or so over the B450's, though.

According to eBay sold #s $30 vs $40 shipped btw the 320hdv and 450hdv.
I’d be looking for someone trying to offload the $20 prime x370 MC bundled mobo with 2700x deal bc those get dumped on cL and eBay.

ASRock A320M-HDV
ASRock B450M-HDV
ASUS MB Prime A320M-K
Gigabyte B450M DS3H

Those are the boards I'm currently considering from your suggestions, the cheapest is at the top. Are the B450M's better then the A320M's when it comes to performance?

Suggest going B350 or B450 with 4 ram slots at least. Look for a used one to save $. IMO the A320 boards are to be avoided. As are any board with 2 ram slots that is larger than itx. The 1200 cpu and 750 gpu are a nice budget starter set up. BUT dropping 10-20 more on a board now gives you room to upgrade later. Most 350/450 boards will support Ryzen3 for example. A320? Crapshoot.
My 2c.

If you're going ASRock, I'd get the Pro4 over the HDV. At least there is some sort of heatsink on the VRM on the Pro4 board.

I got the B450M Pro4 for like $59AR maybe a month ago. I already have my rebate check in hand too.

Avoid A320 chipset boards like the plague. That $10 you save over B450 costs you potential future upgradeability to Ryzen 3000 series processors. Just because you don't ever anticipate a need to upgrade it now does not mean you won't ever, and that $10 would be the difference between a simple chip swap and a whole board swap.

It really depends on what OP is doing. If this is a price sensitive build that's going to go into some specific usage (shipping station at a warehouse, say) then I see no problem with an A320M-HDV. Once the computer is fast enough, more doesn't always matter. If this is a small office / home office type build, I'd agree with moving up just a bit to something more like a B450M Pro4 since that usage might well have to evolve over time.

A B450 is not going to be any faster than an A320 when running straight stock. I suppose one might hope for marginally better memory speed top end out of a B450 but even if that is the case, it's going to be a percentage point or two overall.

Back