Looking for a keyboard that feels good to use.

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
I've used about a dozen different keyboards over the past decade or so. Mostly cheapo Microsoft, Dell, IBM, Logitech keyboards. Last year I took a dive into "gaming' keyboards with a Microsoft gaming keyboard Sidwinder X4. It was OK, but I didn't love the layout.

Recently, I scored a deal on the SteelSeries Apex keyboard for $30 new from BestBuy. Tried it out and I hate it.

The keyboard layout is actually more 'compressed'. All of the keys are as smooth as ice, (no texture). Of course all of the keys are flat as glass too. I can't easily feel my way around on this apex keyboard.

I'm looking for something with Cherry Browns, maybe a few macro keys, normal keyboard layout (not the oversized enter key with the micro back slash key), with texture/concave keys, and with a 10 key on the right (I'm a lefty)... back lit keys would be a plus.

budget is whatever it takes, however I'd like to stay under $150 if possible.

There aren't very many keyboards that come standard with textured/concave keys. I know a few of the Corsair mechanical keyboards have a few textured key caps that are included with them, but they may be lacking some other qualities that you are looking for. No mechanical keyboards that I know of, come with concave keys. That's something you'd have to purchase separately.

The closest thing to what you're looking for would probably be something along the lines of a Cooler Master Trigger Z (fulfills everything besides the texture/concave keys) or the Corsair K95 (macro keys, normal full size layout, I believe it comes with a few textured keys, backlit, but I don't think it comes in MX browns).

Hmmm... a quick search on Corsair and it looks like the Vengeance K95 has concave & texture on the keys. The k70 looks to have concave keys and some really decent texture on a few left side keys (too bad I'm left handed).

the CM you mentioned keyboard has concave keys as well.

and maybe concave is the wrong term... maybe "Cylindrical keys" is the right term from what daskeyboards states.

djgizmo's right, that key cap style is cylindrical. The reason "conccave" isn't normally used is because that would better describe spherical key caps.

Here's another question... do vendors like Corsair sell additional keycaps or would I have to go through a 3rd party?

I like the idea of the K70, but because I'm left handed, the textured key caps are in the wrong place for me. I'd like to move / replace them accordingly.

Here's another question... do vendors like Corsair sell additional keycaps or would I have to go through a 3rd party?

I like the idea of the K70, but because I'm left handed, the textured key caps are in the wrong place for me. I'd like to move / replace them accordingly.

I think they come with regular keys you can use instead of the textured ones. You can always just move them too.

Back