Looking for a HP LTO-4 tape drive docment

sunjar

n00b
Hi all:
I recently purchased an HP AJ042A (LTO-4 1840)tape drive with reasonable price, it's new HP spare but it's out of warranty, and now it has a self-test error, the TAPE and DRIVE LED are keep flashing at the same time. I need an HP document, the name is: "Hardware Integration Guide, volume 1 of the HP LTO Ultrium Technical Reference Manual"
There are 5 volumes of this series document. I have found the other 4 volumes, but I cannot find the first volume anyway, including searching in hp.com and hpe.com and google.com. I spent few hours searching for it but nothing founded. Can someone help me find this document? It is very useful to me. I will be very grateful.
The other volume I was found in oracle.com, follow url is one of them (Vol5) https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21429_01/en/CRCM2527/CRCM2527.pdf
Thank you very much.

Hi Sunjar,

Volume 1 is for LTO5 drives.
Are you sure you need volume 1? your drive is LTO4

I have volume 1, let me know if you really need it.

Are they flashing with no tape in the drive? Per the legend here that is a firmware problem.

Hi Sunjar,

Volume 1 is for LTO5 drives.
Are you sure you need volume 1? your drive is LTO4

I have volume 1, let me know if you really need it.

Hi trackersoft, Thanks for your relay, Yes, I also have a vol1 about LTO5, but I think the 'HP LTO Ultrium tape drives technical reference manual' is a series documents, each type of LTO drive has a corresponding file. I have two other vol1 files, one is about LTO6 and the other is about 'generation 2 SCSI drives'. So I am trying to find vol1 file about LTO4 drive.

Last edited:
Are they flashing with no tape in the drive? Per the legend here that is a firmware problem.

Hi, mwroobel, thanks for your reply. Regardless of whether there is a cartridge in the drive, the two LEDs are same status. In other HP documents tell me this is a POST test failure. The reason why I am looking for this manual is that there is an ACI (Automation Control Interface) interface at the rear of AJ042A, which is a 10-pin JST PH connector. In other documents, such as 'HP LTO Ultrium tape drives technical reference manual Volume 1: hardware integration LTO5' or 'hp ultrium tape drives
technical reference manual generation 2 SCSI drives volume 1: hardware integration guide
', I saw that this interface can be used to diagnose tape drives with some ACI commands to obtain further failure information. But the ACI connector which mentioned in LTO5 and Gene 2 SCSI's manual is different as my LTO4 drive, so I was looking for this document here.

I still haven't found the first volume of documents, but after referring to a HP documentation of LTO-5 and another documention of HP Ultrium SCSI 2, I have used an RS-422 adapter and a multimeter to find the 5 wires of RS-422 in the ACI terminal at the rear panel . Now I use one The serial debugging tool can already send commands to this tape drive and get some returns, but the returned messages seem abnormal.

I referred to the ACI command in "HP LTO Ultrium tape drives technical reference manual volume 3" and tried to send "0x12 01 80 00 FF 00" to the tape drive at a baud rate of 9600 to query its serial number, but only returned a few bytes of HEX value, I I also tried some other commands, and I only got a few bytes of return value. I'm not very familiar with ACI commands, have I missed anything?

I used another USB-TTL adapter to connect to a 4P diagnostic port under the front panel of the tape drive and also accessed it with a baud rate of 9600. I got the correct plain text information, such as the prompt "DRIVE RESET", I guess some plain text debugging commands should be entered here, but I don't know any commands and I can't find any relevant information. Can someone provide me with some information? thank you very much.

Add tags

If the computer can see the drive you could use Library and Tape Tools to see if it can pull the codes. It can also do some diagnotic tests and flash the firmware.

Back