Looking for a good set of 5.1 speakers...

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a good set of 5.1 speakers. What I need is a decoder in it as I would like to connect a PS3 to it when I can get one. This will be mostly for the computer and should perform everything from music playing to games to movies.

I'm looking at the Z5500 and the Gigaworks, but I dont need 7.1 - though I need that decoder. I also thought about the Klipsch Ultra 5.1, but it doesnt have a decoder and it has had reports of failing amps.

If anyone has any good options for me to check out, by all means, let me know.

If there are any standalone decoders out there for PC speakers, let me know too.

Thanks!

Joey :)

A far as stand alone decoders creative labs makes some and klipsch makes some for the units you just listed and they are expensive. As far as the S750 they can be found on sale after MIR at zipzoomfly for $300 shipped, you could have it set up as 5.1 then use the extra 2 speakers on a normal receivers since theyre reference speakers. If you don't wanna complicate stuff go for the logitech 5500, I have researched on them and actually went to the logitech forum and found there's some problems with some 5500 sub dying also or speakers going but it's minimal and most ppl on those forums usually have problems, nobody goes to say I got a good set. If your gonna use this for your PS3 I would consider it an injustice, you would need way better audio, a $200 receiver, some decent speaker and a sub should beat pc set any day, but for practical reasons people have unreasonable expectations from theyr pc's speakers. As far as getting a receiver and speakers if your in college and strapped for cash I don't recommend blowing you funds on speakers and receiver's it can get expensive. As far as speakers for your needs 5500 fit the bill but don't have the best sound just best value, best satelites the S750 wins the prize, and best sub is the klipchs wich makes really good sound but have a tendency of dying. I am deciding between these 3 sets but I am not gonna use it with anything else but my pc so the codecs won't be a problem, my sound card will do all the job. I am currently working on building a new receiver/speakers for my tv set thinking of getting a Denon 2807 and a solid pair of cambridge sound works speakers then slowly build up from there, it would be umpractical to buy a 2nd receiver for my pc. Good Luck.

ellover009 said:
you could have it set up as 5.1 then use the extra 2 speakers on a normal receivers since theyre reference speakers.
With the equipment in Pinipig523's sig, I don't think the S750's would count as "reference speakers".
:D

The question i have; Is with such a nice 2ch setup why are you going to buy a set of at best mediocre computer speakers, instead of going with say a reciever and bookshelfs/sats or even adding speakers to your existing?

squeezee said:
The question i have; Is with such a nice 2ch setup why are you going to buy a set of at best mediocre computer speakers, instead of going with say a reciever and bookshelfs/sats or even adding speakers to your existing?

Receiver at least 200-300, Good speakers at least $100-300 pair, subwoofer $200. And the receiver takes up space. I am gonna invest in a receiver and speakers for my home audio so I dont wanna spend on two sets, Denon 2807 with hdm 7.1 will set me back 1,150 with 4yr insurance, it has exellent reviews from c-net. Im gonna talk to my boss and see if he want to sell me his cambridge sound works M80 speakers as satelites, then Ill prob get a subwoofer and some other speakers when the next sale at the cambridge sound works warehouse, my friend got a 600$ sub for $300 with a 10yr warantee. Im gonna test the receiver I have, Ill see if I can get the rear speaker imputs working and maybe use it with my pc but i doubt ill be any good, I liked the S750 for $300 I get a complete package and the receiver wont take up space.

squeezee said:

Here's the thing, money.

In order for me to build a good solid multichannel system, I would need atleast $2K.

Klipsch RB15 x 4 = $600
Klipsch RC15 x 1 = $300
SVS PB12+/2 = $1300
Receiver = $300

On a slightly more expensive route, I could go:
Polk LSi9 x4 = $1600
Polk LSiC x1 = $500
SVS PB12+/2 = $1300
Receiver = $500

Plus, you have no idea what kind of pain it is to move speakers the size of my Summits... I really dont want 2 sets of speakers to move plus a 150 pound subwoofer to boot. I figure, go small with some decent PC speakers and call it a day. This is all for my 1 bedroom apartment by the Medical School so I dont need the best of both worlds. When I graduate, sure... you'll see me with a $5K PC setup.... but for now, I need a solid PC setup that doesnt break the bank but sounds decent.

Joey

ellover009 said:
A far as stand alone decoders creative labs makes some and klipsch makes some for the units you just listed and they are expensive. As far as the S750 they can be found on sale after MIR at zipzoomfly for $300 shipped, you could have it set up as 5.1 then use the extra 2 speakers on a normal receivers since theyre reference speakers.

If your gonna use this for your PS3 I would consider it an injustice, you would need way better audio, a $200 receiver, some decent speaker and a sub should beat pc set any day, but for practical reasons people have unreasonable expectations from theyr pc's speakers. As far as getting a receiver and speakers if your in college and strapped for cash I don't recommend blowing you funds on speakers and receiver's it can get expensive. As far as speakers for your needs 5500 fit the bill but don't have the best sound just best value, best satelites the S750 wins the prize, and best sub is the klipchs wich makes really good sound but have a tendency of dying. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out that 750... do you know if they make a 550 or something? I would rather not have to pay for additional speaker I wont use.

Joey

I have the Z5500s. The deciding factor for me was the DTS and DD decoder. The only complaint I have is that the optical and coax digital inputs are positioned too close together. It's a very tight fit when I have both cables plugged in at the same time.

ellover009 said:
It's funny I went to the logitech forum
http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board?board.id=51_speakers
theres quite a few ppl with DOA's and subs that stop working, but i'll be honest it's not even as close as klipsch is having problems now. The 5500 is a good set, im stuck between those and the S750.

I agree with your regarding the Klipsch especially. My brother had a set of the Ultras and it broke about 4 weeks ago, after a year and a half of good solid performance. It's a good thing I bought him a Best Buy warranty plan for it... he got a receiver instead and some Klipsch speakers instead.

PCMusicGuy said:
I have the Z5500s. The deciding factor for me was the DTS and DD decoder. The only complaint I have is that the optical and coax digital inputs are positioned too close together. It's a very tight fit when I have both cables plugged in at the same time.

Thanks for the input! :)

Les say you don't need the decoders, I'll be for pc would you have chosen the 5500 or the S750 or klipsch?

ellover009 said:
Les say you don't need the decoders, I'll be for pc would you have chosen the 5500 or the S750 or klipsch?

Say I didnt need decoders.... say they were all indestructable (esp. Klipsch)....

This is what I would do:
- Get the Klipsch Ultra 5.1
- Switch out the main front satellites to Klipsch Synergy B2 bookshelves from ebay (around $160).

That's what I would do.

Come on guys.... any other ideas? Any other decoders you guys know? Linkies please...

There has got to be more than just the Gigas or the 5500s as decoder included systems.

ellover009 said:
Klipsch also sells decoder box it's called promedia 5.1 GMX unit.

I know there was talk about the GMX decoder before.... something about being unable to accommodate EAX because it doesnt have the analog outputs for multichannel.

Wasnt there a Yamaha one?

If you guys think of any, help me out.

Are you gonna use the speakers with your pc monitor or TV, if it's for the TV you can purchase a HITB (home theather in a box) and a set of headphones for the pc.

ellover009 said:
Are you gonna use the speakers with your pc monitor or TV, if it's for the TV you can purchase a HITB (home theather in a box) and a set of headphones for the pc.

Use it straight for my PC.... I have the 2405 so I will be using that to hook up a PS3 or 360... then the consoles to the speakers' decoder.

HTiB dont have the analog outs for EAX do they?

Dont want to go too deep.... maybe $400 give or take $200.

It's gotta be enticing to go to $600 for an HTIB.... it better be decent to say the least.

If not, the 5500 is probably my only option. If I can find the 5500 for $200 or so, the deal's done.

But I'm open to options...

As for headphones, I've done that route before... dont really want to go in that direction again - even for my PC. I found that headphones are ok... but they dont have that sound I'm after. I had the Sony SA5000 and Sennheiser HD650 run by a HeadAmp GS-1 amp before... then I sold it.

5500 $265 Free shipping

HTIB Onkyo S790 7.1 1,000 watts, retail at Circuit City for $500, can get it way cheaper with codes and coupons for about $350, I've listened to it, sounds really good for $$.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...48967/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Last option go to ebay, find a c cheap receiver's see if you can find a set of cambridge sound works M90 they retail for about $500 a pair but used you might find for $300 or less.

The Creative Labs Cambridge Sound Works S750 Gigaworks is on sale for $300 after mail in rebate, find a nice $100 receiver or buy the codec thing from creative labs, The S750 has best satelites, I think the 5500 sub is a little better and the control pad is way better than those hard buttons, but the S750 comes with remote also.

I didnt bother to read the whole thread... I just wanted to point out that Logitech has a great set of speakers at sams club for about $50 on sale somethimes, and about $75 at walmart.

On the logitech website they sell a $5 adapter that adapts dolby digital 5.1 surround RCA plugs into front, back, and subwoofer phono plugs. perfect for hooking up your x-box to pc speakers...

and it works great, I have it, and the sounds come out 3-d (some games have something pop out behind you and whatnot)

Back