Looking for a good email client

jnick

2[H]4U
As of the last 2-3 years I've been using Incredimail. This was mainly because of the enhanced GUI system, and most importantly, the active notifier. As long as IM is running, it will display these fancy notifiers ACROSS THE SCREEN to let me know I have an email.

However, after using IM for this long, you start to find very annoying bugs, which have gone unfixed for quite some time. Also, IM doesn't have any sort of date book etc.

Therefore I was wondering if you guys knew of a good email client which will let you know when you get mail. I know outlook and thunderbird are top candidates, but from my knowledge, they do NOT actively tell you that mail has arrived. Or, if they do, it's just a little icon on the task bar. No large visual effect, nor any sounds.

Since I don't get hundreds upon hundreds of messages, graphic/audio notifications are a must, as I don't consistently check my email every 5-10 minutes.

Also, if I'm having relay conversations with someone, it's good to know I can walk away from the pc, and with a glance at the screen or via sound, I can tell if they replied yet.

Sooo, in a nutshell, I'm looking for a good e-mail client that provides graphical/audio e-mail notifications.

Thanks!

Aside from a tray icon, Thunderbird has an audible new email alert, and you can set Thunderbird to check for/download new messages as often as you'd like. I have mine set at every two minutes, but you can go down to one I'm sure.

Opera's intergrated mail client has a little window that pops up when you recieve a message, so long as you have it open.

I know for sure Thunderbird does audio alerts and IIRC it also pops up a little window when mail arrives, not sure though.

I wouldn't recommend Thunderbird because you can't export your email to another program without a good deal of hassle. That's a personal issue, though.

Outlook 2003 does audio alerts; it also (I know for a fact :p) pops up a little window in the corner when new mail arrives and you can set for how long you want the little popup to stay there.

I switched to Outlook 2003 from Thunderbird a couple weeks ago. Once I got over the initial hurdle of importing my email, it's been good. The junk email detection rate has been 100% and only one false positive so far, but you have to download the updated filters or whatever they are from WU.

most e-mail software give visual & audible alerts. i use eudora 7.2. i like eudora because it's easy to use & has a clean interface.

outlook gives you audio prompt to know it has arrived. I've used it since the 97 edition.

I use Thunderbird. Outlook's IMAP client sucks. Evolution for Win32 also sucks. The software crashes constantly and never exits properly.

another vote for Thunderbird

used to use the netscape be for pertty much the same app

Mozilla Thunderbird is great. I love its customizations and advanced features. It let's you email behind a proxy if you want to be sneaky. ;) It can be used for RSS feeds. You can specify the client to check mail whenever you want. For instance, setting it to every minute if you desire but I find it rather counter productive. Don't forget about all the extensions as well.

I'll tell ya, I rarely need help with apps, but Thunderbird is killing me. With all of the e-mails I get, I never knew anything about compacting folders, and now I need to recreate and rebuild my profile.

Any takers of giving me a hand? Because I can't get my old stuff to appear properly in my new profile.

DigitalMP said:
With all of the e-mails I get, I never knew anything about compacting folders, and now I need to recreate and rebuild my profile.

Any takers of giving me a hand? Because I can't get my old stuff to appear properly in my new profile.
Xpunge
An extension that compacts your folders.

Honestly I've abondoned all applications for e-mail, I use only gMAIL now, the thing is smart, fast and well, just darn awesome.

elation said:
Why not? A little more detail please.

I think I provided a good amount of detail.

As annoyed as I'd become with OE that caused my interest to become attracted to TB, OE never tied my hands behind my back with an issue I couldn't resolve. Any issue was so minimal that I could find a clear path to resolution and allow me to use the app efficiently again. Switching from Hotmail to GMail was a big reason, but when I resolve this matter someday, I'll be using Outlook.

I've tried several times to rebuild my profile and copy my old folders and data to the new, a result of the "Building Summary File for Inbox" message in my status bar that occupied TB's priorities.

I didn't expect a resolution it to be simple, but I can follow any set of directions, and there was no clear process that helped me recreate my profile with my old folders in it. I've created two threads here (July and October), and have had no responses. I've been locked from my old messages for a few months now.

While TB has some nice features, it sucks for creating mailing lists, and you have to be very proactive from the start to avoid big problems later on if you use it for your main e-mail address.

My vote as of this second goes to Outlook. It does give audible as well as visual notification when e-mails arrive, as well as includes calendar, contacts and task management.

Back