Looking for a good AP.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ShepsCrook, Oct 2, 2015.

1. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm looking to get rid of my Netgear R6300 which I have flashed with DDWRT and currently use as an Access Point, and replace it with two Wireless AC Access points. The two below are what I've seen on Amazon that look somewhat decent, but I'm curious if there are better ones without breaking the bank. All routing is handled by my PFSense box.

I would like PoE.

I'll be streaming 1080p HD Audio/video
    5-6 cell phones on average
    2 laptops
    3 chromecasts
    1 wireless PC (HTPC that needs Wireless AC)
    5 tablets.

This one has the best ratings on Amazon.

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AC Enterprise WiFi System - UAP-AC @ $287
    http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...125&sr=8-11&keywords=Wireless+AC+Access+point

Or Ubiquiti Unifi AC, UAP AC, UAP-AC Dual Band Access Point a/b/g/n/ac 3x3 MIMO @ $299.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0005-000E0

Or Ubiquiti Dual Band UAP-AC-EDU @ $382
    http://www.balticnetworks.com/ubiqu...B7QrUpd_dc86m2OoAt0w6OQPEayPxuVIpPRoC_pTw_wcB

Or Ubiquiti Dual Band UAP-AC-US @ $285
    http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...UTF8&qid=1443839044&sr=8-1&keywords=UAP-AC-US

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. Shockey

Shockey [H]ard|Gawd

3. Mopower

Mopower Gawd

4. ShepsCrook

The Stickie was about Routers. I'm not looking for a router. I didn't read much further than the first post.

5. +Eric

+Eric Limp Gawd

I have the new UAP-AC Pro. I upgraded my original UAP's which were rock solid. No reason at this point to go with the older UAP-AC's that are way more expensive. Get the lite or the pro imo. I've only had the pro a few days now, seems quite stable so far.

6. ShepsCrook

So the model you upgraded to does Dual Band, but not simultaneous dual band correct?

7. xrealm20

xrealm20 Gawd

Were'd you pick it up? I've been looking to upgrade my old UAP-Pro as well...

8. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

9. ShepsCrook

@dizzy

I know APs don't replace your router... Not sure where you got that idea. I'm running a pfsense router on a dual core atom, 4gb, 40gb msata drive. The netgear R6300 is a router that I've flashed with dd-wrt and turned into just an AP. But I want to simplify my setup and use equipment that is meant for the job.

10. diizzy

diizzy 2[H]4U

The Engenius APs are a good buy and dual band.
    //Danne

11. +Eric

+Eric Limp Gawd

I got mine from double radius. But I've ordered from streakwave too years ago.

It does both bands simultaneously yes. It also has band steering although that may not be in the current firmware yet. I think they released it and found some issues so they pulled it. Should be back soon.

Mine continues to be reliable. I never had any trouble with the original UAP's and that trend seems to be continuing with my UAP-AC-PRO.

12. Daedalus0101101

Daedalus0101101 [H]Lite

he got that idea probably the same way I did. You didn't mention in any of your other posts that you have a pfsense box. I was about to tell you the same thing of no router, no internet. Ubiquiti AC Access points are still buggy from what I hear. I have the UAP Pro and it works just fine. Its not my primary Access point. My primary is a Cisco 3602l that I wouldn't trade for anything.

13. ShepsCrook

True, my mistake, I meant to put that I'm currently using the R6300 as an access point in the original post.