Looking for a good and loud computer speaker system, any ideas?

Vithar

Limp Gawd
I've seen the Logitech Z906 and that's 1,000 Watts peak I wanna know if there's anything out there that's 1,500 Watts or more, you know something that can shake the neighbor's walls.

lol at 1000 watts....nope, not close to that in real measurements. Come on man, logitech is just crappy gear.

You can do way better for the money. Hell, a t-amp and two decent bookshelf speakers will get as loud as you can stand in a desktop stereo.

Okay, so if I'm not looking for an expensive speaker system what can get the job done?

some neighbors have guns .... just saying

what is your objective? discourage a loud neighbor or to be the loud d-bag yourself (my motivation to help you depends greatly on the answer to this question.)

also what city do you live in ...cause if it is SoCal you'd best not be my neighbor (see my first point =p)

actually in my case I assure you I have enough stereo gear / watts to make the most optimistically rated multimedia speakers bow down before me...

some neighbors have guns .... just saying

what is your objective? discourage a loud neighbor or to be the loud d-bag yourself (my motivation to help you depends greatly on the answer to this question.)

also what city do you live in ...cause if it is SoCal you'd best not be my neighbor (see my first point =p)

actually in my case I assure you I have enough stereo gear / watts to make the most optimistically rated multimedia speakers bow down before me...

Lol, I wanna make my loud neighbors cry, they play their music/tv in the daytime so I can't really call the cops, and yes I'm in SoCal.

Lol, I wanna make my loud neighbors cry, they play their music/tv in the daytime so I can't really call the cops, and yes I'm in SoCal.

well...ok however and I feel your pain on this one... it is a tough one

as everyone in this place seems to have some sort of sense of entitlement that allows them to make as much noise as they want whenever they feel like it...

have you talked to these people at all about the issue(s)?

if not you may want to try that first ...as once you start down this path you can't be sure how they will respond... more noise earlier and later in the day... and you may wind up starting to bother other neighbors who in turn respond.

if you wind up spending too much on this exercise ... is it worth it.. maybe you get lucky and they fold and move but someone new will come and who knows what they will be like... but maybe they'll stay and you'll have some sort of tense pain in the butt.

house or apt / condo (rent or own)... if you own then i guess maybe it is worth more of a fight...if you rent how long left on lease?

but if all you really want is to make other people scared to make noise cause you make noise also

probably your best bet is thrift stores or craigslist look for cheap used/ vintage gear

I have a bridgeable to 120wpc amp i got on 1/2 off day at a animal rescue thrift store for $5 that would likely do the trick and i have a $10 pair of Advents 8" woofers that would probably do it (condo / apt) point those at the wall a while.

but if you rent or live in a area with a hoa or some property management you might also try talking to them (trying the loud people first ... grit your teeth and be nice at first (i have been there).

subwoofers generally do the most to piss off neighbors as they take awhile to bloom ... people in apts really shouldn't be allowed to own subwoofers IMHO.... subwoofers tend to get the crap beat out of them so they are tricky to buy used..however.

now if you actually want some better sound and after solving one way or the other the current issues you want to enjoy at neighborly levels some nice quality audio.

still used gear can be just great for that... I have some JBL L1's I got for $40 for the pair that if combined with my $20 Kenwood KR-V106R (100WPC) and even my little PSW10 subwoofer could make the neighbors here think twice..... I have to admit i have done that once with the new~ish neighbors here.... so far /knock on wood they quieted down a fair bit.

how much money you willing to toss at this p*ssing match?

Peak means nothing.
Only consider RMS.
Next, the higher the sensitivity of the loudspeaker, the more sound it outputs for the same power input.
+10dB = outputs 10x the power, sounds twice as loud.

ps if your hifi is louder than theirs, they will probably steal it.
fyi

pps buy some earplugs

What's your budget?

I'm going to assume you have a lot of money.

Buy 4 of these:
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc13-ultra#.UwQH70JdUxM

plus 9 of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RF7IIC/Klipsch-Reference-RF-7-II-Cherry.html?tp=185

and 1 of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7008/Marantz-SR7008.html?tp=179
(it has AirPlay so its a good value)

buy a lot of Monster Speaker Cable from Best Buy - its the best cable money can buy. Everyone knows that.

I would go with 4 Velodyne DD-18+s, those will have significantly more output than the SVS subs.

Also the Marantz receiver is a little underpowered. I would recommend a UMC-200 or Marantz pre/pro and 9 Emotiva XPR-1 amps :D

What's your budget?

I'm going to assume you have a lot of money.

Buy 4 of these:
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc13-ultra#.UwQH70JdUxM

plus 9 of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RF7IIC/Klipsch-Reference-RF-7-II-Cherry.html?tp=185

and 1 of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7008/Marantz-SR7008.html?tp=179
(it has AirPlay so its a good value)

buy a lot of Monster Speaker Cable from Best Buy - its the best cable money can buy. Everyone knows that.

A lot of money eh :)

Imagine if you bought 17 ounces of gold in 1971 for $595. You could buy all that and have a couple hundred dollars left over today :-D

Back then the average salary was what, $7,000? You'd have to make $280,000 today just to achieve that same purchasing power as someone in the working class in the 70s. This is why the jobs had to be shipped overseas and slave labor had to do the work to keep our prices somewhat manageable...because government printed so much god damn money that nobody could do business in America anymore.

Well Drago that's why I asked what I'm looking for, because obviously as you guys pointed out I have no idea how the speaker market works.

So to rephrase what's the best I can do for $300 and under?

You could probably throw together a combo of budget priced receiver, sub, and some bookshelf speakers for that price. Clearances, outlet specials/open box, and refurbs from places like accessories4less, electronics expo, crutchfield, polk's ebay outlet, harman's ebay outlet are good starting points. Places like slickdeals and fatwallet can help steer you towards good deals running right now.

i mean if you are just looking to bother your neighbors just get some big subwoofers. Are you willing to buy used stuff?

I bought a Logitech z5300e on Craigslist for $60. Fantastic 5.1 surround and serious base. Now I'm no "audiophile" like so many people on here seem to be, I use it for gaming but music as well and I think it sounds awesome. The z5500 is a step above that and a lot of people stand by these systems. They are a bit older so you'll have to try and find one used and in good shape (and the right price).

Update: So I was debating between a lot of systems and in the end my brand loyalty won out on me and I chose the Corsair SP2500 for a couple reasons:
1. They were on sale
2. In Corsair I trust: my SSD, PSU, and Case are all by Corsair.

So do you guys think it was good buy for $200?

Back