Looking for a good 290

SolidSnake3035

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I unfortunately need to get a new GPU and I've figured out that for what I need, a 290 will be my best choice. Unfortunately the prices for them new are too high for me right now, so I'm going to need a used one.
I'm thinking my best choices are the Sapphire Vapor-X, or the ASUS DirectCU II, and maybe the XFX DD, based on what I've been reading.

So I was hoping I could come here for some suggestions and to see if anyone is looking to sell one, or maybe if some place has a really good deal on one new.

What do you guys think of these cards? Are there any other models I should be looking at?
I'm thinking based on their age and current retail prices I'll be looking at spending around $200 on one.

If anyone with one of these cards is looking for an excuse to get something new, and is willing to help out a dude stuck on ~5 year old hardware, that would be awesome. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the help!

I love my Vapor-X. By far the best cooling system I have ever had on a GPU thus far. Really impressed at how well it cools the 290.

Buy a Sapphire Tri-x or Vapor-x.
And ask to be sure it has Hynix memory.

Ive personally never seen a Vapor-x or Tri-x with Elpida memory...but since you're buying used, you have the luxury of asking before you buy to be sure you get Hynix memory.

Buy a Sapphire Tri-x or Vapor-x.
And ask to be sure it has Hynix memory.

Ive personally never seen a Vapor-x or Tri-x with Elpida memory...but since you're buying used, you have the luxury of asking before you buy to be sure you get Hynix memory.

Interesting, I haven't heard about this before. What's the difference?

Anyone have any idea where I could find one of these? The only place I can find that's selling it is amazon and it's expensive.

I'd love to get one used, but I don't know...

Yeah I've been looking at that one, though I'd much rather the Vapor-X. It seems like a much more solid design, especially with the backplate.

I might get this Tri-X one if I'm not able to find a reasonably priced Vapor-X though. I wonder what noise and temperature differences are between them...

Price after rebate $283.26 at amazon for the vapor 290x doesn't seem to bad in my opinion...surely they sold a few at almost double that price long ago

The reason I mentioned avoiding Elpida was because with Elpida ram you're much more likely to have the blackscreen issue with Elpida Vram.
LINK
Of course also,Some people with Elpida vram never have any issues.
But why take a chance if you dont have to.

As I said, I dont think Ive ever seen someone with a Tri-x or Vapor-X say they had Elpida ram.

Of course Im not 100% sure ALL Tri--x and Vapor-x have Hynix, but they're your best bet for Hynix vram when buying according to the overclock.net forums.

Last edited:
Had Hynix on my first R9-290 XFX, it lasted 3 hours. The one I have now has Elpida. No issues and not really feelin the need to OC the memory with 512 bit bus, but was interested in playing with the Hynix since my last card was Elpida.

The small premium for the vapor-x is well worth it in my opinion.

Its built like a tank,

Back