Looking for a good 15" for watching movies, doing work, and some gaming...

Kuyt

Gawd
I would buy the ASUS N81VP, but its a 14". I just need something that's not too heavy, has a nice screen, and runs cool. Don't need that great of a video card; something like an HD4650 would be fine.

Budget is around $1000. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have the ASUS n81vp-d2. It is great! The only thing I did we replace the original HDD with a 120GB OCZ vertex SSD. There are two things that could be improved on the laptop. First is the keyboard isnt that responsive and a little flimsy when typing. The other is the viewing angle of th screen (vertical) is the best and really only looks good when looking straight at the screen. As for gaming it works great. Besides those two problems it is a great laptop for the price and size. I would recommend it.

Are there really no 15 inchers that have similar specs to the N81VP and can be had for around $1000?

There are innumerable configurations around that pricepoint that would serve just fine, too bad you could not hit the 1200s though, that is dell studio 16 xps territory and there you would have the ability to have a nicer display panel.

Check some of the sony series, above 800 dollars you tend to get better than average display quality for the money.

ASUS N61VG-A2 $1003 its 16'', but most 15'' are 15.6 so its slighly bigger. Another option if want a CULV cpu is ASUS UL50VT-A1 $849 it comes with 220m gpu, its lighter and it will give you much better life than a usual gaming laptop at the expense of a culv cpu and switchable gpu (220 + 4500), but if you dont need that powerful it might work fine, it comes with asus turbo gear to OC the cpu to 1.67 in case you need a little more power for gaming. If you want 15'' with a better videocard also check Newegg has a good deal atm, ASUS G51Vx-X3A, while its $100 higher than your budget.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ASUS N61VG-A2 $1003 its 16'', but most 15'' are 15.6 so its slighly bigger. Another option if want a CULV cpu is ASUS UL50VT-A1 $849 it comes with 220m gpu, its lighter and it will give you much better life than a usual gaming laptop at the expense of a culv cpu and switchable gpu (220 + 4500), but if you dont need that powerful it might work fine, it comes with asus turbo gear to OC the cpu to 1.67 in case you need a little more power for gaming. If you want 15'' with a better videocard also check Newegg has a good deal atm, ASUS G51Vx-X3A, while its $100 higher than your budget.

G51 is 7.26 punds :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
got the ul80vt on december 31st.
extremely happy.
people complain about viewing angles of the screen, what kind of moron would buy a laptop and view it from the sides????

for the price, you cant beat the 1 year accidental warranty in case you drop, burn, runover it, etc...other laptops would charge you $200 for that warranty, ask dell?

Back