Looking for a gaming monitor in the 200-450 price range

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
i want a monitor that can game close to as well as my 19 inch trinitron. i'd prefer good colors over response time, so i guess i can eliminate tn panels. from what i've read, the 2007 s ips panels are the best monitors in this price range. is this true? widescreen or not, i don't care. i just want something that won't bother me during games, yet watching movies will still be enjoyable.

quick question: i had a laptop for a short period and installed ut2004. the screen was stretched. circles looked like ovals. no extra vision, just a messy looking game. are all games like this? was i supposed to change a setting to fix it?

Well, if don't mind a 95lb CRT, you can pick up a fw900(24" widescreen) from ebay for about 400 shipped.

These monitors are just straight pimpin if you have the room.

I actually think UT2004 suppoorts widescreen resolutions, but I might be wrong. If it doesn't, you can change your display to fixed aspect ratio in your graphics card's control panel, and that should give you a black bar on either side of the screen and a properly scaled picture.

I've never used the Dell 2007wfp, because it's $400 price tag was a bit much for my budget, but given that it's an S-IPS panel and has been shown to compete with monitors with as low of a response time as 5ms, it probably is your best choice in the listed range, provided you can win the lottery and get an S-IPS panel. (I've no idea what the status of the lottery is at the moment, though)

I'm currently gaming on a NEC 90GX2, and even though it isn't widescreen, I've yet to see a widescreen (with the exclusion of the NEC 20WMGX2, which is out of both yours and my price range) that I prefer for both general usage and gaming. The 226BW trumped it in games because of its sheer size, but I got a C panel, and the TN panel (yes, I know the 90GX2 is also a TN panel, but it must've been the C panel in the 226BW really getting to me) wasn't great about top-to-bottom color descrepancy, viewing angles, and gradient banding. For what I use the machine for (gaming, surfing -- no movies, though I imagine the glossy screen could only help that, given that it provides more vibrant colors and deeper blacks, just watch out for glare), I have no complaints save that I could stand it being a little bigger (resolution-wise, that is; 19'' in a 5:4 monitor is plenty of physical viewing space).

I might prefer a Samsung 226BW if I got an S panel, but I tried twice and got a C panel, so I've somewhat given up on that one, and the Acer AL2051w intrigues me heavily, but I worry about its response time (listed at 8ms, but I'm very sensitive to ghosting -- even a little drives me nuts), it's supposed 34ms image delay, and the fact that I can't find it from any retailer who will let me return it if I don't like it.

I can vouch for the 226BW and the 90GX2 being awesome for games though, with absolutely no ghosting whatsoever.

I had a 19" Trini, and have now gone to a SGI 22" CRT. Outstanding monitor.

Is a "A" refurb, was purchased from AccurateIT.com.

actually think UT2004 suppoorts widescreen resolutions, but I might be wrong

you are right! it does... still play sometimes.

Just to throw my $0.02 in, I have a Benq 20.1" 1680*1050 LCD... (my first LCD ever)
It's really good for gaming.

what is the point with gaming monitor . the lcd show ghost images in fast games. and the crt no. i got my 19 " lcd and i see every day while im playing the ghost images. and someone up there says something about a crt wich one is better. to buy

I don't game very often, so a gaming monitor isn't that important to me but since I do a lot of video watching I suppose we both want a monitor in the same "range", well I might just end up just taking a gamble on one which I rather not and seems like you aren't willing to do that either

I have an LG 246 WPBN purchased at best buy, it has a PMVA panel which is the same panel used in the 24 inch benq that is highly rated, the LG has awesome colors, deep blacks almost as good as a CRT, fast response time and very low input lag, the lowest among all of the 24 inch panels, by far the best 24 inch panel for gaming, the LG has the same AUOptronics lcd panel as the famous benq monitor but without benqs problems, 600 bucks at best buy.

I highly recommend it, play BF2 here, Starwars Battlefront2, no problems whatsoever.

so the 2007 s-ips panels ARE a good buy? where can i find some kind of update on the lottery?

is buying used lcds online risky?

a store? which store?! i remember reading that costco's return policy was worsened for monitors.

so a 2007 s-ips panel is the best monitor in my price range for gaming/multimedia?

Back