Looking for a DHCP server

darrenster

Weaksauce
Sounds simple, but not quite....

I'm looking for a DHCP server to replace my win 2003 server box. the DHCP service is the only thing running on it. I would like to get a Cisco router to take its place. This is for a home network. I would like a cisco ASA or a Cisco SRP 521W, but I cant figure out if they meet my dhcp requirements.

I have two requirements for the dhcp I need...
1) I need to be able to setup a client reservation list table so my dhcp requesting devices always get the same IP address. (yes i could do static configurations, but thats not the point)
2) The dhcp server needs to be able to hand out addresses to mac address such as xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. Yes that's a 10 octet address. My parent's computer, which are out in the wild, connect to my network through logmein hamachi vpn. I want their computers to always get the same ip address from my network.

I know there are other options for vpn but this is what works in my scenario.

I want to keep this router/dhcp server at $200 or less

ideas? Thanks!

ASA can do DHCP no problems

en : password

conf t

dhcpd address <ip-from ip-to> inside

dhcpd dns <ip dns>

dhcpd lease <lease_length>

dhcpd domain <domain_name>

dhcpd option 3 <ip gateway_ip>

dhcpd enable <interface_name>

exit

write mem

now I can't be 100% sure that in the correct order!

ASA can do DHCP no problems

en : password

conf t

dhcpd address <ip-from ip-to> inside

dhcpd dns <ip dns>

dhcpd lease <lease_length>

dhcpd domain <domain_name>

dhcpd option 3 <ip gateway_ip>

dhcpd enable <interface_name>

now I can't be 100% sure that in the correct order!

I got that part down, but what about my two requirements?

off the top of my head I can't remember the static via MAC address commands and I have never tried with none standard MAC addresses. Not sure ASAs can do that actually.

I know that my 1841 can.

Where are you going to get an ASA for sub $200? Don't forget the basic ASA is limited to 10 devices

Last edited:
you may be able to get a PIX 515e for that money but i'm still not sure about its abaility to do what you need it to do.

I'm curious why you would have a 10 octet MAC. Why are you sending IP requests over the VPN? Leave traffic like that on the local site. I'm not very familiar with Hamachi.

hold on if the device doesn't have an IP how can it route to get the IP over the VPN?

the hamaci virtual adapter mac address is 10 octet. this is the adapter thats used for the vpn communication. the physical adapter on the machine is still the standard 8 octet address and that gets its ip configuration from the remote site dhcp server.

im using hamachi over, say, open vpn because it is sooo simple to deploy to the remote computers. once its installed it always works.

hold on if the device doesn't have an IP how can it route to get the IP over the VPN?

We have 2 sites that connect through VPN and pull IP's that way. DHCP can work over VPN. Just all in how you configure it to operate.

Either you are forwarding broadcasts across the tunnel or you have a "helper address" configured on the VLAN. Still seems strange to me. Makes more sense to use their local router to statically assign their IP's. Keep it simple. I just downloaded Hamachi and will be setting it up as I want to reach my home network from my personal network here in Iraq. I'll still use the routers at both locations to assign IPs.

Either you are forwarding broadcasts across the tunnel or you have a "helper address" configured on the VLAN. Still seems strange to me. Makes more sense to use their local router to statically assign their IP's. Keep it simple. I just downloaded Hamachi and will be setting it up as I want to reach my home network from my personal network here in Iraq. I'll still use the routers at both locations to assign IPs.

we use a helper address.

Back