Looking for a decent engineering laptop under 1K, no lenovo.

I loved my thinkpad back in the day and want to try something new. I already have a mac book pro, but need to pick up a dedicated windows machine to take into the field with me. I dont want to bust up my mac. I was thinking of the dell latitude or precision lines. Anyone know the differences between the two lines?

I'm looking for a 15.4, dedicated vid, at least 2gb ram, something with a decent keyboard and a nice screen. Any suggestions?

a windows machine with a good keyboard to take with you into the field?
pardon me for saying, but i think it is very silly of you not to consider lenovo if these are your needs

well, needing a nice screen, kind of limits you to macs, sony Z, or the high gamut T510 screen.
though i hear good things about the dell studio series' screens.

I watch this site,

http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/laptop_deals.htm

there's a couple of dells on it for around 1k, I don't follow dells so don't know if there a good deal or not..

the Studio 15 15.6in laptop w/ Core i7-720QM Quad Core 1.6GHz, 15.6in High Definition (720p) LED w/ TrueLife and Camera, 4GB, 320GB, DVD+-RW, 802.11a/g/n, Bluetooth, 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit for only $1118 - $119 off = $999 w/ free shipping.

the Dell Studio 17 laptop w/ Intel Quad Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz, 17.3in HD+ (900p) Bright LED w/ TrueLife and Camera, 4GB, 500GB, DL DVD+-RW, 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, 802.11n wireless, 9 cell Battery, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 1yr warranty for only $1263 - $164 off = $1099. $10 shipping.

My friend has a Dell Precision M4400 for engineering. It's a little pricy, but very nice. Might want to look into that.

well, needing a nice screen, kind of limits you to macs, sony Z, or the high gamut T510 screen.
though i hear good things about the dell studio series' screens.

I have the Z and let me tell you the screen is amazing! If you like the keyboard on your mac you will love the Z. Only problem is the starting price is $1800......
The Studio laptops are decent enough, though extremely chunky and heavy, which was a turnoff for me.

FWIW, I just picked up a Z820 for $1500 at microcenter...
2.53GHz, 4GB, vzw wwan, and gps
They're being replaced by the new models so you should be able to find them a little cheaper right now.

FWIW, I just picked up a Z820 for $1500 at microcenter...
2.53GHz, 4GB, vzw wwan, and gps
They're being replaced by the new models so you should be able to find them a little cheaper right now.

Same thing I got, only it was $1,000 more this time last year. I hate how that happens!

lol that does suck, nice ass computer though, how's yours holding up, any complaints?

Back