Looking for a DAC for outdoor use

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a DAC or AMP to pair with Polkaudio Atrium50 (Recommended Power: 10-80W Continuous) speakers for a hot tub. It needs to have Bluetooth to play Spotify, and ideally, should be able to be left outside. Ideally, it will be stored under the bar next to the hot tub, so it won't have direct exposure to the elements. It would need to withstand the temperature and humidity changes from the outdoors (Vancouver, Canada). If necessary, I can have it wired to sit on top of the bar if it must be taken in after each use. Is a Fosi Audio BT20A a good option?

Look for 'marine bluetooth amp'. The Fosi audio will get corroded if you leave it exposed to temperature changes and humidity. Condensation will occur especially with the increased humidity from the tub. The marine versions cost only a few bucks more but are designed to cope with heavy conditions.

Look for 'marine bluetooth amp'. The Fosi audio will get corroded if you leave it exposed to temperature changes and humidity. Condensation will occur especially with the increased humidity from the tub. The marine versions cost only a few bucks more but are designed to cope with heavy conditions.
Any recommendations for one that can handle 2x 100 watts?

Any recommendations for one that can handle 2x 100 watts?
Not really. You'll probably do just fine with true 2x20W. Your max output will increase only by 1.5-2 db by going from 20W to 100W. Remember that anything with a 12V power supply is capable of 14,4W to 4ohm only unless the amp has a switching power supply (price goes up).
PartsExpress/Amazon seemed to have Pyle brand cheap marine amps, Pyle has been decent price/performance in the past. Dayton Audio is even better but I'm not sure if they do marine versions. All these super cheap amps are made in China so sometimes you can get the same device cheaper from Chinadirect, aliexpress etc.

https://www.caraudionow.com/best-marine-amplifiers/

The Pyle hydra in the above review promises 2x100W of power. It takes in 12V and has a 10 amp fuse. That means that it can deliver a maximum of 120W total without blowing the fuse. When taking efficiency, small size (no cooling), 2 channels etc in consideration the true power rating is probably 2x5W.

Last edited:
Back