Looking for a clear answer: DVD to DivX

djnes

Fully [H]
I'm looking for some software that will convert DVDs to DivX files. Simple as that. I have Nero 7, as I've read that Nero Recode might be able to do it, but I'm not sure. These are DVDs of unencrypted content, so I am not looking for any kind of ripper.

As a side benefit, does anyone know of a program that will do the above, but in clips? For example, let's say I shoot some home movies that are of several different events, and I have them burned to a disc as a DVD. Would Nero, or some other program, let me grab the clips and make individual DivX movies out of them? Ha ha, no this isn't homemade pr0n!

AutoGK works good for converting VOB files to Xvid. You simply set the file size (MB) you want; lowering file size > lowering bit rate > lower PQ. I usually use 1450MB file size for viewing on my PC monitor, and 600MB for viewing on my ZVM. Takes about 3 hours to do the conversion to 1.4GB or so; but, very good quality.

After all these years, I'm really surprised that someone or some company hasn't created a fuckin' half-ass respectable DVD to <insert whatever here> application. AutoGK is interesting, and I've used it in the past, but it's a horrible conglomeration of several utilities. Yes it does work but even so... geez. :)

Maybe someday someone will create the ultimate one click (aside from choosing the output format/size) DVD to <insert whatever here> that actually works. If I was a programmer with any skill at all I would have done it long ago.

I'm not sure if my set top DVD Recorder from LiteOn will play back Xvid. I can always give it a shot, but it is sad that there isn't something that can easily do this in a one click process.

hey dj, how bout trying out DVDFab Platinum? its not free, but there is a trial.......

B. DVD to Mobile

6 DVD to Mobile copy modes available: Generic, iPod, PSP, Cell Phone, PVP and PDA. More devices support can be added manually.
Generic: Convert DVD title to PC MPEG-4/DivX/XVID/H.264 AVI/MP4 file. It also supports all other devices which are not listed in navigation bar.
iPod: Convert DVD title to Apple iPod MPEG-4/H.264 MP4 file.
PSP: Convert DVD title to Sony PSP MPEG-4/H.264 MP4 file.
Convert DVD title to specific format which is supported by cell phone, PVP (Portable Video Player) and PDA (Personal Digital Assistant).

there is also CloneDVD Mobile ......

Features
Convert movie DVDs to play on mobile video equipment like the Sony PSP, Apple iPod Video, iAudio X5, Creative Labs ZEN Vision, etc
Convert movie DVDs to other file formats like DivX, XviD, AVI, MP4, etc.
Utilises a high quality picture conversion engine
Supports multi-angle movie DVDs
Video Preview shows an overview of all selectable DVD titles
Target size freely adjustable
Supports chapter trimming
Very easy to use: Our unique Filmstrip assistant will guide you step-by-step through all settings - easy for beginners
Picture snapshots while converting
Logging window available
Stable, fast and does not require an ASPI driver

also available trial. give one a shot. im sure either will work for you for converting. as for clips, that im uncertain. take care now!

Why am I not surprised you had an answer? I've been using their free product, and overlooked the features of the pay version. That does seem to do what I want.

Back