looking for a case modder in the Los Angeles area

to all those who e-mailed me, I just got home after a long day at work and am replying now.

Thank you for your interest in participating.

Badmofo is about as far as it gets from "tool". The only tools here are people asking for thousands of dollars to build their clientele. I find it unbelievable that people actually think they can make money while hawking their wares.

From Bad's initial post, I can understand where people would think that this was a paid position...blame internet communication for that. But the fact is, if we were to pay someone $4800 for attending the event, they'd literally be the highest paid individual there.

I'm one of the organizers of this event. It is far from "ghetto", or "small" for that matter. There's basically big events (CPL, QuakeCon), mid-line events (this one), and everything else that's held in people's apartments or at best at the Best Western. We are hosting nearly 600 players this time around, and ATI, Sierra, Crucial, ThermalRight, Bawls, NyKo, and HomeLAN don't seem to think we're "ghetto". Until you hold a LAN party on two coasts simultaneously, with major sponsors and press coverage - please don't begin to think you can pass judgement on what has become a phenomenon. Sorry if I come across as self-righteous, but a lot of people have put a lot of unpaid hard work into this, and I take a little offense to that.

This event represents the opportunity for a case modder to get in on the ground floor of an event that will only grow over the years and will be covered by much press (video and print) over its course. What we are looking for is someone to come in, set up a table, and make a case. We will cover admission for the modder and two other seats. We will not cover lodging or travel to the event. We will also cover parts cost and reasonable labor to create a Tribal Wars themed case for the event, for giveaway to a player. It shouldn't be that hard. I mod cases myself and I understand the labor involved.

The prospective case modder will be allowed to charge whatever he or she deems appropriate to the player base at the event to mod cases. Lots of people just want windows cut, lights added, or other little mods done. You'll be at least kept busy at the event, and make a little money. We are not looking for seminars, keynotes, or anything value added - if we wanted a DJ, we'd hire one! :)

We have had a case modder at all of the previous UVALANs (the former name of the event). He comes back every year, and is always on board as an official sponsor (AngryMan, of AngryMods). He has donated thousands of dollars worth of cases, parts, and time, because he sees the value in attending the event.

I hope this clears things up for everyone. There are some seriously talented modders on this forum, and a lot of up-and-comers who are looking for the opportunity to make their mark. This could be your chance. You pro guys, who are looking for a lot of money - don't bother. We don't have it. If we made money off this thing we'd all be driving Ferarris, right? I'm sticking with my Scirocco for now :\

I'm BadMoFo's biggest fan.

Mark 'old_skul' Szabo
Tribal Wars Administrator
[email protected]

I can do case mods. All I need is some Duct Tape and Chicken Wire. :p

Wow. I can't believe this "discussion" is still going on.

Most modders can be classified into three catagories: kids in school (high school, college, etc.), adults with day jobs, and adults whose day job is modding.

People from column A are the most flexible, as thier expenses (rent, food) are often subsidized by thier parents. People from column B have little free time for modding, and thier mods take longer. People from column C have time and can do mods quickly, but must always watch the bottom line.

Usually, but not always, the mods from column B & C people tend to be more professional, more impressive, and qualify as art (but there are exceptions).

For this event, only people from column A need apply.

Crimson's perspective is totally reasonable for a column C type of person.

Also, the lack of travel expenses greatly limit which modders could attend this event. The LAN event may be a major event, but without the proper money set aside for modding it will be a small event for modding.

JediKnight0 said:
Wow. I can't believe this "discussion" is still going on.

Most modders can be classified into three catagories: kids in school (high school, college, etc.), adults with day jobs, and adults whose day job is modding.

People from column A are the most flexible, as thier expenses (rent, food) are often subsidized by thier parents. People from column B have little free time for modding, and thier mods take longer. People from column C have time and can do mods quickly, but must always watch the bottom line.

Usually, but not always, the mods from column B & C people tend to be more professional, more impressive, and qualify as art (but there are exceptions).

For this event, only people from column A need apply.

Crimson's perspective is totally reasonable for a column C type of person.

Also, the lack of travel expenses greatly limit which modders could attend this event. The LAN event may be a major event, but without the proper money set aside for modding it will be a small event for modding.
i fit column A... oOo... PICK ME PICK ME :D

JediKnight0 said:
Also, the lack of travel expenses greatly limit which modders could attend this event.

hence the thread title :)

I guess I should've been more clear right from the start.

hi Mark

Badmofo said:
hence the thread title :)

I guess I should've been more clear right from the start.

hi Mark

Well, I guess it's not clear whether you contacted Crimson or he contacted you. It's generally known that Crimson's home base is NY...

Heres my concept art for the tribe case. Maybe I will be selected to Mod.. Vote for me :)

detail

old_skul said:
I'm BadMoFo's biggest fan.

Mark 'old_skul' Szabo
Tribal Wars Administrator
[email protected]

I just dont understand why these people are bent on explaining and defending eachother now--Your "help wanted" ad for charity services is turning into a soapbox for justification--

JediKnight0 said:
Well, I guess it's not clear whether you contacted Crimson or he contacted you. It's generally known that Crimson's home base is NY...

Yes I was contacted by badmofo, an Executive with Wayside Events. We spoke on the phone briefly (where I proposed to him the idea for the Tribes themed case as a grand prize for gaming) and said I would get back to him with a price quote. After 5 days without a response I found this fun thread here.
:D

CrimsonSky said:
Yes I was contacted by badmofo, an Executive with Wayside Events. We spoke on the phone briefly (where I proposed to him the idea for the Tribes themed case as a grand prize for gaming) and said I would get back to him with a price quote. After 5 days without a response I found this fun thread here.
:D

Don'y you love dealing with professionals? :p

CrimsonSky said:
I just dont understand why these people are bent on explaining and defending eachother now--Your "help wanted" ad for charity services is turning into a soapbox for justification--

Justification? For posting a thread on HardOCP? :rolleyes: And for clarifying what we were looking for, once questions arose? Please. It sounds like someone's been chewing sour grapes.

This is not charity services. This is a business opportunity. This is not a featured spectacle for the event: it's a way to get in front of hundreds of people and in front of press, who will undoubtedly be interested. If there's no one here who is interested, that's okay - we have plenty of other modders interested who want to contribute.

JediKnight0 said:

I was pointed to his site, filled out a "contact us" form on the site.

Sorry, I dont really follow case modders :)

2004? This thread is ancient forum history.

Man, what a wild time it was, back in '04, when people representing organisations looking to hire talent would sign up to forums with usernames like "Badmofo".

Damn. I was at tw since it went up. Not so much the last few years though...

Back