Looking for a card for 2560x1600

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm building a new system and am struggling to decide what graphics card to get. It's going to be a Core i7 system inside a Lian-Li PC-V351. I'm looking at ATI cards because of the Eyefinity feature - I currently have a Dell 3008WFP and plan on getting two 2007FP's to use along with it, so I need something that can support 3 monitors (not including HDMI since that will go to my HDTV). I'd really like to keep this under $200. I'm preparing for a cross country move, so I'm trying to save every dollar possible.

The only gaming I do right now is Starcraft 2. I don't really see myself doing any other PC gaming until Diablo 3 comes out, at which point I will upgrade to make sure I can run the game at the highest settings. For now I'd like a card that will run SC2 at 2560x1600 at Ultra settings. I can live without AA, as it seems as if the extra power needed to enable that will put quite a dent in my wallet.

I will be overclocking whatever card I get to squeeze out as much performance as I can.

The cards I've looked at are the following:

HD 5770 - This is the most budget friendly option, but it looks like it will just barely do SC2 at 2560x1600. It's cheap enough where I could get two, but apparently SC2 does not like SLI/Crossfire setups.

HD 5830 - Seems to be slightly more powerful than the 5770 at a significantly higher cost. I haven't been able to find a good comparison of an OC'd 5830 and an OC'd 5770 though. I'm not sure if the performance difference increases with overclocking. I'm open to buying used cards, which means I might be able to grab one of these in the $150-160 range.

HD 5850 - This one would be going over my budget a bit. I haven't seen a used one go for less than $200, but this would surely provide the performance I need.

GTX 460 - This seems like a good option in terms of performance, but it's also at the top of the range as far as my budget goes. The card is too new for there to be many used ones floating around though. Also, the only card I've found which can output to 3 monitors is the Palit model.

GTX 465 - Read that some of these can be unlocked to a GTX 470. Brings me back to the days of the 9800NP > 9800P flashing. Don't know if there are any unlockable ones that support 3 monitors though.

Any advice? I haven't built a PC in years so I've had to play catch up on what's the latest. I know there are price drops / new cards coming very soon and I can wait a couple weeks or so, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what would be the best route to go.

Wait for the 5850 price to drop and get that, or see how the upcoming 6xxx series cards perform (and wait for the inevitable price drop on EOL hardware, like said 5850). A GTX 460 will struggle at 2560x1600, a 5850 does alright.

6000 series will push the price of everything down. The 6770 will have better performance than the 5770 and will likely cost around $200. It might even challenge a 5850 if the rumored performance increases of 40-60% are true. So that might be your best bet. Release date from what I've heard is scheduled for late october.

Hm, only problem is I'd like to get something built by the end of this month. I've been borrowing a computer to play SC2 on but since I'm moving that won't be an option for me. SC2 doesn't run on my current computer, which is the primary reason I'm building a new system.

The GTX 460 won't do SC2 at 2560x1600? Like I said, SC2 is the only game I'll be playing (I play most of my games on consoles since that's what my friends have) and I really don't see anything on the horizon that I'll be interested in, except maybe Civ V. Honestly, the last PC game I played before SC2 was probably Star Wars: Empire at War so I really *only* need something that will do SC2 on Ultra at 2560x1600.

Eyefinity/nVSurround don't do portrait/landscape/portrait in games, unless all you want to do with those small monitors on the side is to extend Windows desktop that's fine.

There is no card that will run SC2 at 2560x1600 with Ultra settings at playable frame-rates for under $200.

The GTX 460 won't do SC2 at 2560x1600? Like I said, SC2 is the only game I'll be playing (I play most of my games on consoles since that's what my friends have) and I really don't see anything on the horizon that I'll be interested in, except maybe Civ V. Honestly, the last PC game I played before SC2 was probably Star Wars: Empire at War so I really *only* need something that will do SC2 on Ultra at 2560x1600.

The GTX 460 1GB will be enough for Ultra settings with SC2 at 2560x1600 as shown in this review:
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page10.html

But no Nvidia card out now will actually provide three displays from one single GPU. If you want three displays from one GPU, you're looking at ATI.

Eyefinity/nVSurround don't do portrait/landscape/portrait in games, unless all you want to do with those small monitors on the side is to extend Windows desktop that's fine.

There is no card that will run SC2 at 2560x1600 with Ultra settings at playable frame-rates for under $200.

I don't plan to game on the 2nd and 3rd screens...they're just for work.

The GTX 460 1GB will be enough for Ultra settings with SC2 at 2560x1600 as shown in this review:

But no Nvidia card out now will actually provide three displays from one single GPU. If you want three displays from one GPU, you're looking at ATI.

Yeah, I figured ATI would probably be the only way to go. I saw there were a couple of 400 series nVidia cards with DisplayPort, 2x DVI, and HDMI...but they're expensive.

If I could get a used 5830 for $160 or a used 5850 for $200, would those be a good bet? Like I said earlier I know the 5830 seems to have a bad rap but that seems to be because it only offers a slight performance increase over the 5570 (at stock speeds anyway, don't know about overclocking).

If I could get a used 5830 for $160 or a used 5850 for $200, would those be a good bet? Like I said earlier I know the 5830 seems to have a bad rap but that seems to be because it only offers a slight performance increase over the 5570 (at stock speeds anyway, don't know about overclocking).
The HD 5830 is right between the HD 5850 and HD 5770. It is not a slight performance increase.

Yeah if you can find the HD 5830 for $150 or HD 5850 for $200, that would be a good bet.

That is the worst review I've ever seen. Frame rates all capping at 60? They benchmark with V-sync on or something lol? They have the GTX480 SLI and single GTX 460 @ virtually the same speed rofl. My frame rate in SC2 almost doubles with my second GTX480 over a single one. Not to mention no AA since AA wasn't even patched in yet during that early review.

I don't plan to game on the 2nd and 3rd screens...they're just for work.

Yeah, I figured ATI would probably be the only way to go. I saw there were a couple of 400 series nVidia cards with DisplayPort, 2x DVI, and HDMI...but they're expensive.

you still can't hookup more then two screens to a nvidia card. work or pay. for that matter you can't hookup an HDTV to a ATI card that has 3monitors on it.

The only solution to your senero that you list is the 2 5770. (and even then you will have to drop out of crossfire to run 4 differnt pannels. if crossfire isn't working on that game play it on the HDTV

a better option in my book is to up your budget a little and get a 5850 for your monitor and drop in a 4350 for your TV. or something along these lines.

NO nvidia cards will support three monitors by themselves. You gotta have two cards. With ati you can do three. Atleast GTX 465 and HD 5850 on ati side for that resolution and that game.

Get a 5850. No Nvidia cards support 3 monitors, if you're looking at a card and seeing 3 outputs you're mistaken in thinking all 3 work at the same time. NV's current display engine only supports two monitors. So unless you get two cards, NV is ruled out. I'd say look for a deal on a 5850 or maybe get a used one. Going lower to 5830 isn't ideal but would probably work. You won't be playing SC2 with highest settings but you'll definitely still be able to play. SC2 is pretty lightweight.

the ONLY card that fits your requirements is a 4850x2. you can get one used for $150ish. it has 4 separate DVI ports, and has enough juice to run a single 2560x1600 monitor VERY well. you would need to enable/disable crossfire manually or set up profiles for each time you switch between 4 monitors and 2 monitors and they have been known to be a bit finicky, but they are very strong performers and the only card with 4 distinct ports. you can even run sound through one dvi port for your hdtv i think. also, they put out a hotfix for crossfire not working right just yesterday so no problems there.

Hm, I didn't know that the ATI cards wouldn't work with 3 monitors and an HDTV...thanks for pointing that out. There shouldn't be a problem using the HDMI output to my TV if the other 3 displays aren't in use though, right? I think most of the time if I'm outputting to my HDTV I won't be using the computer. I'm trying to avoid going dual cards because I'm building the system in a mATX case and it'll probably be pretty toasty in there.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Looks like I'll be going for a used 5830 or 5850. Definitely stretching my budget here, but I don't want to pinch pennies to save 5% on the total cost of the system only to find that it doesn't do what I need!

Hm, I didn't know that the ATI cards wouldn't work with 3 monitors and an HDTV...thanks for pointing that out. There shouldn't be a problem using the HDMI output to my TV if the other 3 displays aren't in use though, right? I think most of the time if I'm outputting to my HDTV I won't be using the computer. I'm trying to avoid going dual cards because I'm building the system in a mATX case and it'll probably be pretty toasty in there.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Looks like I'll be going for a used 5830 or 5850. Definitely stretching my budget here, but I don't want to pinch pennies to save 5% on the total cost of the system only to find that it doesn't do what I need!

at that res go with the 5850. but hell go here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=361116&SID=FW942xq1

just add a 4350 to your box for 22 AR and enjoy the flash drive.

its not an issue to run 2 different ATI cards in a system and the 4350 does HDTV quite well. you don't have to stuck switching anything around.

No, I flip between my eyefinity group and HDTV all the time. The profile manager has worked very well with me. There has been a couple of times the hotkeys didn't work, but was resolved with a reboot. Plus you can always access them manually through CCC if need be.

If you're thinking of going with a 5850, I would get a reference model or one that you know for certain will OC. SC2 at 2560x1600 on Ultra will really push that 5850.

Back