Looking for a Air cooler for 250D and MSI Z97I

Outbreaker

Limp Gawd
HI,
I'm looking for the good Air Cooler for the case Obsidian 250D with the mainboard MSI Z97I GAMING AC and with the CPU i7-4790K. I don't plan to overclock but i'm looking for a CPU cooler that can cool down 4.4GHz to a normal temperature. :)
I found the PCCooler S93E this one looks interesting but i'm not sure if that is the best choice. There are so many CPU coolers out there and every review site has other test results. :rolleyes:
The max hight i can use in this case is 135mm and i would also replace the CPU fan with a Noctua one. ;)

All suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
You know, I looked briefly for an air cooler for my 250D. My conclusion is there isn't really any good options. You don't have the vertical clearance for a quality cooling tower, and there is no intake vent for a top down cooler.

The case is basically designed to take the H100i, and that's pretty much it.

By the way, that cooler you listed doesn't list compatibility with 1150 explicitly. It will probably fit, but something to be aware of.

I thought the 250D had 140mm .. AnandTech said 145mm. Either way there are better solutions than the S93F/

Where you live make a big difference in what is available and prices. Where are you?

Carefully measure the CPU clearance. You can measure from surface of motherboard and subtract 8mm .. the CPU surface is 8mm above motherboard surface. ;) If you have 143mm, the Scythe Katana, .. I think it's better than what you've linked to. Katana 4 is on par with 212.
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/katana-4.html

Can't really tell anything from that picture. Need a straight line view from one top frame rail to the other rather than the angled view it gives.

Best way to verify what will fit is to actually measure the distance between cover and top of CPU.

Back