Looking for a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor that 'ticks all the boxes'+ sRGB clamp. Does it exist?

RJ_ds

n00b
What I'm looking for is a fairly color accurate monitor that has an sRGB clamp that can be used for gaming. Not looking for 170hz + monitors as those appear to have bad 60hz response times (I still game some at 60hz, Dark Souls player primarily, which is capped at 60hz and likely will always be, but dont want to be stuck at 60hz for everything). *THE* reason I got the MSI is because of the input lag/response times @60hz as they are some of the best. I can deal with a little slower response times at the cost of an sRGB clamp. Heck, I gamed on a 30ms input lag NEC for over 10 yrs so its not THAT big of a deal, as long as everything isnt blurring everywhere when moving around.

Recently I picked up the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD and while it ticks MOST of the boxes, the one that matters most that I didn't think about was the lack of sRGB clamp. Ever after several calibations, the reds are still oversaturated, and anything on the web/youtube that isnt using wide gamut looks overblown. This does not happen on my NEC or Dell.

I've looked at so many monitors, from displayninja.com, rtings.com, hardwareunboxed.com, tftcenteral.com, all had some deal breaking issue: bad black uniformity, really low contrast ratio, blacks look grey, etc., the MSI is the one that ticked all the boxes except the one that literally mattered most.

So I may return it, if I can't find something equally as good but with an sRGB clamp. It seems the only real options for what i'm asking for is a higher end 4k monitor, and thats unfortunately out of the question as I dont have a video card that will push 4k at acceptable frame rates (RTX 2080). If video cards were actually available, I would have already went the 4k monitor route as those seem to be the only monitors manufacturers care about, even though the demand is more, better, 2k monitors.

Thoughts or other monitor suggestions? It seems what i'm asking for is unavailable, and if it is, only at 60hz.

Well I grabbed an Acer Predator XB3 XB273U GSbmiiprzx to compare to the MSI. Where one faults, the other makes up for it and vice versa.
sRGB clamp is OK on the Acer. After calibration, web and YT content look decent and not TOO saturated. Miles better than the MSI, and totally usable for web viewing.

Now the problems. BLB is good, grey uniformity is great, but there is a grainy coating that looks like dust if you get close enough. At 60Hz the overshoot and blurring is extreme. At ANY refresh rate the overshoot is clearly noticeable but especially at 60, and unfortunately I use it a lot for certain games.
No perceivable overshoot or blurriness on the MSI, its excellent.

Both have to go back and I may just wait it out now for another month to see if the new Asus ROG Swift PG279QM is worth it, cause its REALLY expensive. Unless the ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q is suggested? I know they use the same grainy panel coating, but thats passible for an all around better monitor with a workable sRGB mode.

I'm new seeing in order to get all of the ghosting to stop, everything has to be turned off. No overdrive, no adaptive sync, no VRB.

Last edited:
LG 27GP83B and 27GP850 have great 60 hz response and sRGB mode.

The downside is the contrast ratio and black uniformity.

Monitors are about compromises. Rather than finding the perfect one, finding one where the flaws bother you the least.

Back