Looking for a 24" S-IPS Display

dclam

Weaksauce
So I've just been hired to do web design with a local company, and I'm looking to upgrade my dell 1703 to something larger. (Nonetheless, the dell has served me very well.)

I'm looking for high quality of colors, so S-IPS panels are a must here. A large display area (minimum 19x12) is also a requirement.

Any reccomends?

The only S-IPS panels in that range that are out now are 23 inchers (Sony, Apple, HP, etc.). There's supposed to be a new NEC 24" coming out in November, I think, but it'll cost a pretty penny. Something like $1400, IIRC. Paging travbomb...

NEC will be launching the LCD2490WUXi this Nov/Dec with the A-TW-IPS panel. I think we will be the first to use it but i am not sure. The 23 inch panels are going to be discontinued across the board at some point here and replaced by 24's but that may not be until beginning of 07.

LCD2490WUXi - Preliminary Specs
$1400
1920x1200
12 bit LUT
Color Comp
Spectraview II Calibratable - Firmware Calibration.
4 Year warranty.
Fully adjustable - Height, swivel, pivot
178/178
500 cd/m2 (based off LG panel spec - not final)
800:1 (based off LG panel spec - not final)
6ms GtG (based off LG panel spec - not final)

Let me know if I forgot anything.

I'm wary about the glossy screen on the NEC's I've seen. How does it compare to matte/standard in terms of glare and color reproduction?

dclam said:
I'm wary about the glossy screen on the NEC's I've seen. How does it compare to matte/standard in terms of glare and color reproduction?
The colors look clean as hell but the screens are practically mirrors. EVERYTHING is reflected in them in a big, bad way.

Yeah, I'm guessing that in a flourescent lighting environment, that would be bad.

So my options are now what, the apple 23" or whatever lg puts out based on this new 24" panel?

dclam said:
Yeah, I'm guessing that in a flourescent lighting environment, that would be bad.

So my options are now what, the apple 23" or whatever lg puts out based on this new 24" panel?

There's a bunch of different 23" ones besides the Apple that have more adjustment options and lower prices. Sony, HP, Viewsonic, and Philips all have 23 inchers.

dclam said:

This monitor will NOT have a glossy screen. This is part of our high end color critical series "90 series".

Hi I'm also very interested in purchasing a 24" S-IPS Lcd monitor. I will mainly be using this monitor for photos and graphic design, some gaming as well. I'm looking for a monitor that'll display excellent pq. Personally I prefer the glossy look since it gives richer colors. The sony lcd that I own shows some reflections but it's not any worse then a crt. I'm looking for a monitor to replace my sony sdm-hs94p. Travbomb How does this nec lcd compare to the eizo or lacie displays in terms of pq? I dont want to spend over $5000 on the profesional eizo coloredge monitor. thanks, Stu

TechStuey05 said:
Hi I'm also very interested in purchasing a 24" S-IPS Lcd monitor. I will mainly be using this monitor for photos and graphic design, some gaming as well. I'm looking for a monitor that'll display excellent pq. Personally I prefer the glossy look since it gives richer colors. The sony lcd that I own shows some reflections but it's not any worse then a crt. I'm looking for a monitor to replace my sony sdm-hs94p. Travbomb How does this nec lcd compare to the eizo or lacie displays in terms of pq? I dont want to spend over $5000 on the profesional eizo coloredge monitor. thanks, Stu

Very comparable to Eizo and we make the Lacie for them (they are OEM'd 90 series) and write their software. They will not be $5000 like the LED. $1400 and $1700 respectivly.

They will not be glossy but the 26 will be the first LCD or CRT to display 92% of the adobe color gamut.

awesome, thanks for the response. I'm going to defenitely consider purchasing one of these when they're released. One more question, do you happen to know the dimentions on the 24 & 26" nec displays? (I'm hoping that it will fit on my desk.) Any additional info about these monitors is greatly appreciated. thanks, stu

so, is the 26" going to have HDCP, component, and a glossy screen?

TechStuey05 said:
awesome, thanks for the response. I'm going to defenitely consider purchasing one of these when they're released. One more question, do you happen to know the dimentions on the 24 & 26" nec displays? (I'm hoping that it will fit on my desk.) Any additional info about these monitors is greatly appreciated. thanks, stu

2690 - 23.2" x 16.4-22.3" x 10"
2490 - Should know more soon.

HDCP yes.

Component and glossy screen no.

dclam said:
I have an Acer F-20 with a glossy coating similar to the NEC....the only time I really notice it is when the monitor is off or on a completely black screen. I actually prefer the glossy screen to the matte/sparkly anit-glare of other monitors.

travbomb said:
2690 - 23.2" x 16.4-22.3" x 10"
2490 - Should know more soon.

HDCP yes.

Component and glossy screen no.

Just found out the LCD2690 actually covers 93.4% of the Adobe color gamut and 92% of the NTSC. Just a little bit better than i thought.

I got a chance to use it a little bit today and it is sweet. HUGE.

I am bringing my digital camera in on Tuesday to take some pics and also look at some of my own photos on it to see how good the colors really are.

travbomb said:
Just found out the LCD2690 actually covers 93.4% of the Adobe color gamut and 92% of the NTSC. Just a little bit better than i thought.

I am bringing my digital camera in on Tuesday to take some pics and also look at some of my own photos on it to see how good the colors really are.
That's great travbomb. Keep up the good work :) LCD2690 does sound very interesting. Maybe you could ask NEC to send us one to TFTcentral for the early review. It could complement nicely the already present 20WGX2 review ;)

and maybe one to me as well?

as a beta tester?

(a man can dream, can't he?)

travbomb said:

thanks, I'll be anxiously looking forward to seeing those pics :). btw what's the dot pitch & resolution of the 26" lcd?

TechStuey05 said:
thanks, I'll be anxiously looking forward to seeing those pics :). btw what's the dot pitch & resolution of the 26" lcd?

Native Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Pitch: 0.2865

Here's a database with information on nearly all of LCD panels out there.. it tells you if it's an S-IPS, a TN, or a PVA.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

However, it does not have information on the Philips 230W5VS (230W5VS/27 or 230W5BS).. it has nearly all the features of a Dell 2405FPW or 2407WFP and more than an HP L2335!!!

Here's one going on Ebay starting at only $500.. mind me, I'm not the seller (nor do I know the seller!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-230W5VS...ryZ51047QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
karadur said:
Does any one know if NEC 2490 or NEC 2690 have 1:1 pixel mapping capability?
For the NEC LCD2690WUXi I verified this personally and I can confirm that according to the OSD it's supporting the full pixel scaling, scaling but keeping the aspect ratio and no scaling at all (1:1 pixel mapping & unaltered picture). It seems that integrated scaler chipset is doing the job properly. Also, this monitor have dual DVI inputs.

While we are on this subject, last week I wrote the article for TFTcentral about the upcoming NEC LCD2690WUXi 26" WS model. If someone is interested, take a look here. It's an interesting read. You have also preliminary PDF spec sheet, provided by NEC. TFTcentral (and me personally) will review this monitor in early November, when NEC send us the sample from the evaluation stock.

On Wednesday this week, I attended the NEC press conference here in London. They were showcasing the new products and technologies. That included also the LCD2690WUXi. It looks really promising! :)

DVL73, I hope you will also compare new 24" NEC to 26" when 24" be available.

Travbomb:
Will the 2690 accept 1920x1080 over VGA or DVI?
Aspect ratio control built into the monitor?

Back