Looking for a 1070 powered laptop - not MSI

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I'm considering just ditching the desktop altogether now. Currently running a 6600k/1070 setup so I wouldn't be losing a whole lot.

That being said, how would a laptop 1070 fare with an external 1440p 165hz screen? It seems like the laptops keep the heat in check with 1080p/60hz screens where a 1070 wouldn't be going full bore in most games anyways with vsync on. I'm worried about heat and noise issues if I were to replace the desktop with a laptop and use it for games on the external monitor.

If anyone has a suggestion that is not MSI I would be interested in it, I just sold my MSI 980M laptop because the Nahemic audio causes crashes in almost every game I play, and the mic/speakers don't work if you unload the stupid program and just run the bare drivers. I'm looking for moderately portable and preferably not over $2000, I don't need a 1080 and 64GB RAM and I do also have a 1TB and 512GB m.2 SSD's to put in it.

Well, I ended up using my dell account and ordering an Alienware 15 since I could get it with a 6820HK and the 1070 within my budget.

Did you end up getting with the 4k screen?

Yes, you have to have the 4K screen for the 6820HK. I don't understand why, but that is the way they do it. I'm hoping mine has no light bleed problems or I'll have to send it back and get a 6700HQ with the 1080p screen. I am going to be using that screen only on the go assuming it has no bleed issues, at home I have the S2417DG 165hz 1440p Gsync screen to use.

I liked the 15 because I could use my own SSD's in it (I got the base model with a single 8GB stick and a 1TB HDD) without wasting money buying those extra bits. I can get 16GB of 2666+ for $100 while dell charges $150 for that upgrade.

I got the Gigabyte P35x v6 with 1070 GPU and 4K screen. It's extremely thin while still fully loaded. Lots of storage options, and battery life for non-gaming use is close to 6 hours, which is excellent.

I got the Gigabyte P35x v6 with 1070 GPU and 4K screen. It's extremely thin while still fully loaded. Lots of storage options, and battery life for non-gaming use is close to 6 hours, which is excellent.

I looked at that one, but the cooling system seemed to leave a lot to be desired, plus with my Dell account and the black Friday rebates I paid only $1698 for this one with the 6820HK. I plan to use this laptop for the external monitor 24/7 when its not mobile so I didn't want a leaf blower. I just got the AW15 today, barely had time to open it and make sure it turns on before work (also had time to find out that one of the Kingston 32GB kit of 2400 CL14 I ordered is bad).

The quality of this machine is so far above the MSI GT72S I just had 2 months ago it isn't even funny. It feels like a gaming-grade MacBook pro. And apparently my browser knows to capitalize MacBook o_O

I went with the evoc from hidevolution. Spec for spec its a comparable price to the asus or alienware, but without the gamer flash and you can customize the crap out of it. If you through a couple hundred more at it, you can get a full desktop replacement. Mine arrives Thursday, ill post a mini review then

I went with the evoc from hidevolution. Spec for spec its a comparable price to the asus or alienware, but without the gamer flash and you can customize the crap out of it. If you through a couple hundred more at it, you can get a full desktop replacement. Mine arrives Thursday, ill post a mini review then

I've never heard of this brand, is it a clevo chassis like a lot of the other boutique builders right now? I literally only went with the Alienware because I have a Dell account that I haven't used since around 2007, this way I got 18 months no interest and I can pay it off in 3-4 easily while still having extra money for the holidays.

On a sour note, the laptop developed a pretty serious problem, the right side of the keyboard LED's stuck on and then immediately afterwards the machine started hanging with a black screen or refusing to POST and the fans would go to 100% and sit there. I took it apart today after Dell told me I would have to return it and wait 30 days for a refund to process and then order again instead of just shipping me a new one, and found that the ribbon cable that powers the keyboard LED's was pinched in between the keyboard and the metal chassis and was shorting out (several of the traces are cut completely in half). I took the opportunity to repaste while I had it apart, but it runs flawlessly now with that cable moved to its proper spot and unplugged. Going to try and get them to replace just the keyboard at this point.

IMG_0232.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I ended up using my dell account and ordering an Alienware 15 since I could get it with a 6820HK and the 1070 within my budget.

Have you seen temps on the new AW15 R3? Be ready to open your new laptop and repaste along with bending an arm and maybe the use of copper shims.

Head over to NBR to see what I'm talking about. The new alienware's have a design flaw.

Have you seen temps on the new AW15 R3? Be ready to open your new laptop and repaste along with bending an arm and maybe the use of copper shims.

Head over to NBR to see what I'm talking about. The new alienware's have a design flaw.

Read the thread mang :p

FWIW temps was the first thing I tested out of the box and they were great, P95 small FFT maxed out around 72C and blend was in the low 60s. My cooler was torqued on there like they meant business though.

Yup the EVOC's are solid laptops. As like LigTasm I went ahead and repasted my 15R3 and this thing runs great now. If only the penny pinchers at Dell would spend a little bit on some better thermal compound and not a stupid Triangle cpu heatsink design they would not have much issues with these new laptops.

If anyone is interested, I ran FS with this machine three different ways. I have the Alienware Graphics Amp and I stuck my desktop 1070 in it. Left to right is desktop GPU external monitor, desktop GPU internal monitor, and internal GPU with external monitor.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/10996860/fs/10996793/fs/10996678

Yup the EVOC's are solid laptops. As like LigTasm I went ahead and repasted my 15R3 and this thing runs great now. If only the penny pinchers at Dell would spend a little bit on some better thermal compound and not a stupid Triangle cpu heatsink design they would not have much issues with these new laptops.

What CPU do you have on yours? Mine has an issue that I'm not sure is with the laptop itself, but maybe the intel power management. Games run great but internet browsing is laggy and stuttery. I have the 6820HK and my last laptop with the same CPU did the same thing, scrolling on web pages freezes for a second and then jumps ahead, keyboard lags behind typing, etc. Games run great and super fluid but it seems like it can't handle being idle. My crappy Acer $250 i3 can browse the web just fine as smooth as can be.

Yup I have the same cpu, no issues at all. The only problem I had was the stupid killer nic has terrible antenna connectors and I am waiting for a replacement card from Dell.

Yup I have the same cpu, no issues at all. The only problem I had was the stupid killer nic has terrible antenna connectors and I am waiting for a replacement card from Dell.

I'm throwing in the towel on it, now my games are lagging and stuttering too. Sending it back to Dell. I have no time or patience to be messing with this thing all the time.

Did you do a bios update? Also what drivers are you on?

BIOS was updated to 1.0.8, re-installed Windows probably 15 times now since last week. I can't get it to run worth a shit so its going back, already packed up and label stuck on it. Dell refuses to send me a functioning one, they want me to wait the 30 days for the refund to process and then buy another one (I only got this because of the sale) for $700 more. They can pound sand, I'm done with these losers.

I just got an Eluktronics P670RS-G which is a Clevo based unit. i76700HQ, 16Gb DDR4, 512Gb M.2 SSD, GTX1070, 17.3" LG IPS GSync screen. Bought it through Amazon 2 weeks ago,they say list is $2599, they had it on sale for $1549 (now is $1949), same config on Eluktronics stie was $2300 at the time.
Excellent build quality, no-bloatware Win 10, actual printed manual, Win 10 & driver discs, even found an amazing service manual online. http://www.mediafire.com/file/hiq6sy4kk0tvicq/P67xRS_ESM.zip
Runs all my games great on highest settings. Cooling fans can get a bit noisy but still way quieter than the Dell i7559 GTX960m laptop it replaced.

Sam

I just got an Eluktronics P670RS-G which is a Clevo based unit. i76700HQ, 16Gb DDR4, 512Gb M.2 SSD, GTX1070, 17.3" LG IPS GSync screen. Bought it through Amazon 2 weeks ago,they say list is $2599, they had it on sale for $1549 (now is $1949), same config on Eluktronics stie was $2300 at the time.
Excellent build quality, no-bloatware Win 10, actual printed manual, Win 10 & driver discs, even found an amazing service manual online. http://www.mediafire.com/file/hiq6sy4kk0tvicq/P67xRS_ESM.zip
Runs all my games great on highest settings. Cooling fans can get a bit noisy but still way quieter than the Dell i7559 GTX960m laptop it replaced.

Sam

I looked at that one, Eluktronics seems like a good company, US based. I'm putting it on hold again, dell called me yesterday after I got into it with the support guy the other day and said they are sending me a new unit, but because they don't have the parts on hand for the 15R3 I agreed to a 17R4 that is slightly cheaper with a 1060 and the Gsync panel I originally wanted. They are refunding the difference. Interestingly, the lady that called me was based in Canada and not India like the last few who were really difficult to deal with and pretty much only know how to say no.

Sam

How is back light bleed?

I don't have any, guess I lucked out with mine.

Sam

Finding that hard to believe, can you post pictures of it on a pitch black background?

I only ask because I like the P670/P650 chassis but due to a design flaw just about every unit suffers from backlight bleed/lcd pinching.

A lot of members have reported back with back light bleed over at NBR and Amazon reviews.

Finding that hard to believe, can you post pictures of it on a pitch black background?

I only ask because I like the P670/P650 chassis but due to a design flaw just about every unit suffers from backlight bleed/lcd pinching.

A lot of members have reported back with back light bleed over at NBR and Amazon reviews.

To be fair I haven't seen a "gaming" laptop in 10 years that didn't have some light bleed on black screens, and certainly none of the ones I've seen recently from any brand were free from it.

Add me to the list of returning my 15 R3, going to look at picking up the 13 R3 instead.

Add me to the list of returning my 15 R3, going to look at picking up the 13 R3 instead.

WHat went wrong on yours? I got banned from OCN for disagreeing with a member that there were problems with the Alienware units and he called me "triggered" because he read somewhere on some laptop forum that they were 100% good lol.

Bad wifi card and antenna setup. They are back-ordered on the parts and are willing to allow me to send the machine back for a full refund. Will go ahead and give the 13 R3 a try, heard some good things on it.

Bad wifi card and antenna setup. They are back-ordered on the parts and are willing to allow me to send the machine back for a full refund. Will go ahead and give the 13 R3 a try, heard some good things on it.

Ah that sucks, good luck with the 13. I'm waiting for my new 17 to ship, if its bad I'll be done with dell forever. I don't have the time or patience to play these games with $2000 laptops.

To be fair I haven't seen a "gaming" laptop in 10 years that didn't have some light bleed on black screens, and certainly none of the ones I've seen recently from any brand were free from it.

I never said free of bleeding, he said it.

" I don't have any, guess I lucked out with mine. "

I'm fine with minor bleeding, the few ones I owned (P650/670) for a short period of time have bleed in all four corners and both left and right side. Common issue with that chassis.

Last edited:
I never said free of bleeding, he said it.

" I don't have any, guess I lucked out with mine. "

I'm fine with minor bleeding, the few ones I owned (P650/670) for a short period of time have bleed in all four corners and both left and right side. Common issue with that chassis.

Ah sorry, I missed it. The mystery of the Dell deepens now, after telling me they WONT send a replacement for the 15R3 and me having to change my order to a 17R4, I find out by going to my Dell orders page that I already have another 15R3 on the way along with the new 17R4. What in the actual f are these people doing.

Ah sorry, I missed it. The mystery of the Dell deepens now, after telling me they WONT send a replacement for the 15R3 and me having to change my order to a 17R4, I find out by going to my Dell orders page that I already have another 15R3 on the way along with the new 17R4. What in the actual f are these people doing.

Reminds me of my Dell XPS 15 experience.

I had requested a 4K model to see if the screen on the 4K had as bad of a response time like the FHD configuration I ordered.

4K model gets here and same thing, horrible response time. I told them that and wanted to return both units and they said yes. I ship both back and a few days later I get another XPS 15 in the mail lol.

Of course in the end I returned that too and that was that.

Reminds me of my Dell XPS 15 experience.

I had requested a 4K model to see if the screen on the 4K had as bad of a response time like the FHD configuration I ordered.

4K model gets here and same thing, horrible response time. I told them that and wanted to return both units and they said yes. I ship both back and a few days later I get another XPS 15 in the mail lol.

Of course in the end I returned that too and that was that.

I really wonder where the old Dell went. I worked with a guy who ordered an Alienware 11 when it was new several years ago, it got lost in the mail so after about 2 months he complained and they sent him a new one. They both showed up at the same time and they told him to just keep the extra one. Same thing with a 3007WFP 30" I had, it had an issue with lines across it and they sent me a new one, didn't want the old one back. It turned out it was a bad cable or something because I tried it after about 2 years it it worked great.

I really wonder where the old Dell went. I worked with a guy who ordered an Alienware 11 when it was new several years ago, it got lost in the mail so after about 2 months he complained and they sent him a new one. They both showed up at the same time and they told him to just keep the extra one. Same thing with a 3007WFP 30" I had, it had an issue with lines across it and they sent me a new one, didn't want the old one back. It turned out it was a bad cable or something because I tried it after about 2 years it it worked great.

Yep. I get that kind of customer service over at Amazon now, dell is not too bad just yet however I feel they lack communication, A LOT.

Bought a $399 mattress, they sent me the wrong size, sent me a new one and told me I can donate the first one or keep it and it's on them for making that mistake.

Amazon has refunded me every single time I paid for over night and the item didn't make it over night.

They've given me partial refunds on all the stuff I bought open box that had something missing. I am one happy prime member.

Yep. I get that kind of customer service over at Amazon now, dell is not too bad just yet however I feel they lack communication, A LOT.

Bought a $399 mattress, they sent me the wrong size, sent me a new one and told me I can donate the first one or keep it and it's on them for making that mistake.

Amazon has refunded me every single time I paid for over night and the item didn't make it over night.

They've given me partial refunds on all the stuff I bought open box that had something missing. I am one happy prime member.

Oh yeah for sure, I love my prime. I order so much stuff there I actually got an Amazon store card for the cash back. Did you by any chance buy one of those foamy type mattresses? I seem to remember reading a review to that effect on one of them.

Oh yeah for sure, I love my prime. I order so much stuff there I actually got an Amazon store card for the cash back. Did you by any chance buy one of those foamy type mattresses? I seem to remember reading a review to that effect on one of them.

Yeah a memory foam mattress. Spring mattresses hurt my back and I am not the type to spend thousands on a bed.

I ordered a queen and was sent a twin. Rep told me items that big can't really be sent back since the bed comes compressed in a box. I had no way of getting it back into the box.
I'm sure anyone stupid enough to abuse their kindness by buying big items and knowing they can't accept it back to get free items would probably get their prime membership revoked and banned from Amazon.
In case someone is reading this, don't try it or be stupid unless you really got the wrong item.

During that whole issue I wasn't even a prime member yet, I was using my brother in laws amazon account. That type of customer service alone made me sign up for prime membership that very day, not even kidding.

I just remembered a few months back when I bought an open box Dell 7559 w/ GTX 960M and the ac port was loose, causing it to not charge unless positioned in a certain way. Took it to a local shop and they offered to repair it for $50, amazon refunded me $50, I sent them the receipt and all was good. I can go on for days about how amazon took/takes care of me.

Anyway, let me know what you end up getting. I am still eyeing the AW15 but will most likely opt for the lowest config AW13 w/ OLED. I bought my wife a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 w/ 6200U and 940MX that I love carrying around and using it for media consumption but definitely does not play Battlefield 1 at the settings i'd like. I figured that if I can't find something to my liking soon I may just wait for kaby lake refreshes on gaming laptops lol.

Anyway, let me know what you end up getting. I am still eyeing the AW15 but will most likely opt for the lowest config AW13 w/ OLED. I bought my wife a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 w/ 6200U and 940MX that I love carrying around and using it for media consumption but definitely does not play Battlefield 1 at the settings i'd like. I figured that if I can't find something to my liking soon I may just wait for kaby lake refreshes on gaming laptops lol.

Well we'll see if either of these AW units work, if not I'm looking at the Asus GL702 or one of the Eluktronics clevo-based ones. I have to get something soon, going to be stuck in a hotel for two months again in january.

Got another call from Dell, both the 15R3 replacement and the 17R4 were cancelled due to lack of parts. I told them to stuff it and give me my money back. In the meantime, I ordered the Asus GL702VM with Gsync and a 1060. Should be here monday, thanks Amazon.

Man I wish ASUS would put their G-Sync panels and decent (well, current-gen) GPUs in laptops like their K501-series. I don't really want all the extra flashiness of their ROG laptops.

Man I wish ASUS would put their G-Sync panels and decent (well, current-gen) GPUs in laptops like their K501-series. I don't really want all the extra flashiness of their ROG laptops.

Yeah, I'm not big on the orange, but the 702 was cheaper than any of the 15" models and it has 3 fans instead of 2 for slightly better cooling.

Yeah- I'm seeing that too. When they get these things updated across the board (Kaby Lake, 1060+) I'll look closer at them, I'm not in any hurry- I don't even really need one this coming semester.

However, my requirements are pretty broad- the laptops primary use would be coding (schoolwork), so mobility (total size and weight of the laptop, power, and any peripherals) would be a priority, but I'm also looking for it to be competent for photo editing as well as gaming.

I realize that I'm looking for something that mostly doesn't exist ;).

So based on what I have been reading with the Alienware it looks like the back-light bleeding and heating issues have been for the most part addressed. Any machine built after 12/06/16 had some updates to the thermal pads (That is what is causing the uneven heatsink contact on the CPU.) Been keeping tabs on this for anyone interested.

Back