Looking for 8-port POE switch with integrated power supply

metropole

Limp Gawd
I need to upgrade my 8 port switch to power two POE AP's. I don't wnat to use the injectors.

My needs:
  • 8 ports
  • POE (I think my AP's have 7.5W max; might want to plug-in a camera down to road)
Wishes:
  • I like the clean installation of not needing a power supply.
  • I always like to ground everything. So, a ground screw is preferred.
Manageability:
  • I don't have big needs. Nice to know I could configure more if needed

So far I found the three models:
1.) Netgear GSS108EPP (doesn't have ground screw
upload_2019-4-16_19-0-54.gif
)
2.) Unifi US-8-150W (I have Unifi AP's - so this woudl complement; but reading some mixed reviews about internal power supply quality and runs hot)
3.) Netgear GS510TP

Anything I should add to list? What should I pick?

If your APs are only 7.5W max, you don't need the Unifi US-8-150W; the US-8-60 will be sufficient.
The 60W runs about half the price and doesn't seem to have the heat issue to the degree that the 150W does.
(I just got the 150W about two weeks ago and it was running quite warm to the touch powering a UAP-AC-HD; I changed the UAP-AC-HD to a 48V 0.5A injector and the heat has decreased dramatically).

MM

2.) Unifi US-8-150W (I have Unifi AP's - so this woudl complement; but reading some mixed reviews about internal power supply quality and runs hot)
I'm a big fan of the unifi suite as well, the USG has the same heating problem if you sit it flat, however mounting it vertically/on its side alleviates those heat issues. Its possible it may work for the 150 model too.

If your APs are only 7.5W max, you don't need the Unifi US-8-150W; the US-8-60 will be sufficient.
The 60W runs about half the price and doesn't seem to have the heat issue to the degree that the 150W does.
(I just got the 150W about two weeks ago and it was running quite warm to the touch powering a UAP-AC-HD; I changed the UAP-AC-HD to a 48V 0.5A injector and the heat has decreased dramatically).

MM
The US-8-60 is only a 4 port poe though, the other 4 ports are non-poe ~ it could work, but would limit you to 2 camera add-ons.

The 60W Unifi would be a reasonable choice. I am still pursuing the clean look of an integrated power supply. Might be a trade off.

Do Netgear's run hot as well? I just noticed that the GS510TP actually has a fan (which I am trying to avoid).

The majority of the integrated PSU models need active cooling, the ones that don't often end up running hot, or are unmanaged.

Does it need to be a managed switch? what about rackmounted?

That being said this is the only one I've found so far that is managed, rackmountable, fanless, and integrated PSU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9X72VR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_9NZTCb1Z4HRGX
I can't speak for quality or how good the brand is, but it does come with a lifetime warranty.
From the reviews the web UI is pretty crappy, it meets all your asks though.

If you're fine with unmanaged theres a triplite option: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ethernet-Rackmount-NG8POE/dp/B01N7HMLUJ

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't need rackmount. Managed is a nice to have. The Zyxel appears to be a good choice. I do have a USG40...

I do understand that switch with integrated PSU will run hotter. But I don't understand why the Unifi is reported running that hot even at idle.

I am assuming the Zyxel is as fast and reliable than other switches such as Netgear?

Last edited:
I have 3 of the Netgear GS510TP's that I got super cheap off of Amazon a couple years ago and they have been great!

Their web interface is a bit antiquated but it is plenty usable.

I have an EdgeSwitch, 2xSG250-26P's, SG350-28P, SG200-8, and the 3xGS510TP's at my house (plus a couple of dumb switches) and they all seem to work fine and work well together with the 5 VLAN's that I have currently.

i have used these as well. they are made for tower deployments and tend to be more rugged. they have more options than most switches in the price range.

https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-8-150-ac.html

The problem with that one though is that it's Passive POE (24V, 48V) and I doubt the OP's AP's are Passive POE compatible. The issue with Passive POE though is even though his AP's may allow for Passive POE the wiring specs can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. I really dislike Passive POE and am thrilled that Ubiquiti no longer requires it.

I might go with the NG8POE. Can't really think of an use case that requires a managed switch in my home setup.

Back