Looking for 32GB of Memory for my new 3930k! Reccomend the best OC Potential Memory?

crewxp

Limp Gawd
Hey. Can you recommend me a good memory brand/type that will be able to overclock well and most importantly be stable with 32GB?

I'm looking to purchase new memory for my new machine. It's going to be a Processor housed on a Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard.

I'm been out of the loop for a while so I'm not sure what to look for in memory or brands when it comes to memory. I need 32GB because I do a lot of Digital Animation and Music Production. Samples used for those takes up a LOT of memory.

I would like to be able to play with the overclocking later on also, so I was wondering what the most stable memory was if I had 32GB. I probably want to purchase them at 8GB a piece since I would like to know that if I need more memory later on, I can just add more sticks.

I'm confused on what Timing, Voltage, and CAS Latency to look for

Thanks for the link. It narrows down what to look for.

Would a 2133 or 2400 Speed stick be any faster than a 1600 stick?

Memory speed over DDR3 1600 does not really help most real world application performance. Also anything over this DDR3 1600 is an overclock of the memory controller on the CPU.

Last edited:
I'm confused on what Timing, Voltage, and CAS Latency to look for

DDR3 1600 1.5V maximum (lower is preferred) is your best bet. CAS latency makes little difference in most applications.

ah, thanks a bunch.

I'm dead set on the brand you linked.

Taking your recommendations into account, I'm just debating between 1600 1.5V vs 1866 1.5V Ram. $60 more for the increased speed. Hmm.

Would you recommend ram that comes with heatspreaders?

BTW, DDR3 1866 is technically an overclock of the memory controller on the processor.

Read this article about memory speed:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/8

Would you recommend ram that comes with heatspreaders?

I like the heat spreaders just so I can sit the ram on the desk without worrying about protecting it from static shock. Although I try to get the smaller spreaders when possible. They really are not needed to cool the ram though.

1600 mhz CAS 9 RAM seems to be the sweet spot in terms of RAM price/performance. It has also been proven that anything faster (higher MHZ or lower CAS) does not really affect real world performance.

1600 mhz CAS 9 RAM seems to be the sweet spot in terms of RAM price/performance. It has also been proven that anything faster (higher MHZ or lower CAS) does not really affect real world performance.

If this is true for everyday general usage, are there any specific applications where the increased bandwidth is beneficial? Perhaps video editing applications?

If this is true for everyday general usage, are there any specific applications where the increased bandwidth is beneficial? Perhaps video editing applications?

Some do. But it depends on the application. And even if they do your money is probably better spent elsewhere then using overclocked ram. Although I guess that would depend on the price premium.

Some do. But it depends on the application. And even if they do your money is probably better spent elsewhere then using overclocked ram. Although I guess that would depend on the price premium.

Agreed. I can get my RAM to run at 1866 with the same timings as at 1600 (7-8-7-24) and the only thing that I could find that benefited were RAM benchmarks. Everything else ran the same. Spend the money on SSDs/larger SSDs and you will get an actual return on what you spent.

At best, the gains are maybe 5%. Usually, it's close to nothing. The only CPUs that can and do benefit from faster RAM are AMD's APUs when using the iGPU.

Back