Looking for 20inch 1600x1200 non-TN monitor for gaming

you2

[H]ard|Gawd
My not too old dell 2001fp is dying. I'm pretty sure the version I have is tn panel and I *hate* it. While the monitor is primary for gaming I rather have a little ghosting and a rich saturated image than no ghosting and a washed out dull image. For that reason I'm looking for a pva or ips monitor.

For reference this monitor is also dying. it is 4 years old (purchased on 2004-12-01 for $559

Anyways it has developed a vertical stripe in which the pixels are jumboed. It is intermittent. At first I thought for sure it had to be the graphics card and heat related but then I swapped my 8800gts with an older 1800xtx and the same problem occurred

Anyways enough on tidbits (btw any chance this monitor has a 5 year warrant?) - any suggestions for a replacement ?

Your 2001FP is either a S-IPS or a PVA.
Panel type has nothing to do with how vivid or dull or saturated or washed out the image is. It is mostly just about how the image reacts to changes in viewing angles. For gaming, I actually prefer TN to PVA.

I know it is not suppose to have a TN panel but it is the worse 2001FP I have ever seen - and I sit directly infront of it. My 1900FP (dell) is much nicer.

Anyways any thoughts on a quality replacement ? Per original request I favor picture quality over small amount of ghosting.

Your 2001FP is either a S-IPS or a PVA.
Panel type has nothing to do with how vivid or dull or saturated or washed out the image is. It is mostly just about how the image reacts to changes in viewing angles. For gaming, I actually prefer TN to PVA.

Just don't be fooled by the TN FUD in this forum.

I just got a new 24" monitor, and it was one of the cheapest I could find, the Acer P241W, which is a TN . Its fine, and unless you are viewing the screen from ungodly angles, you will hardly notice.

Well are there any particular models folks recommend in the 20 inch arena ?

Is there a reason you are looking for a 20 incher in particular? Try looking at 22", they are the sweetspot right now.

Is there a reason you are looking for a 20 incher in particular? Try looking at 22", they are the sweetspot right now.

Some of the games that interest me don't fit widescreen. Heck several new games have not supported widescreen very well. Anyways - so i figured I should stick with 20inch for another few years before going widescreen - esp since some of the very old games I play occasionally hate widescreen.

Some of the games that interest me don't fit widescreen. Heck several new games have not supported widescreen very well. Anyways - so i figured I should stick with 20inch for another few years before going widescreen - esp since some of the very old games I play occasionally hate widescreen.

Get a widescreen that has proper support for pillar boxing, So that any 4:3 Image is scaled to aspect with black bars on the side.

Best of both worlds.

24" Is where its at.

Get a widescreen that has proper support for pillar boxing, So that any 4:3 Image is scaled to aspect with black bars on the side.

Best of both worlds.

24" Is where its at.

That ignores my limited desk space.

Find a Dell 2007FP. I have the IPS model and I love mine!

Back