looking bad on front of wife (and can't connect Roku stick to any wireless network)

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am extremely frustrated and desperate, and embarrassed on front of my wife, who used to think that I was the master of all things tech in our house. :confused: If something is not clear in this post, please tell me and I'll reply right away. I'm getting email alerts for this thread.
  • My router is a Netgear X6 8000, updated to V1.0.4.84_10.1.84. the latest available firmware. I have the router configured with SSIDs for 2.4, 5.0 (1) and 5.0 (2). FYI: this router has two independent 5.0 radios. Security is WPA2-PSK [AES] on all wireless networks.
  • At present, the router supports connections to 3 laptops, 2 iphones, 2 iPads, plus a connection down several months ago to the 5.0 network with the "downstairs TV" Roku stick.
  • Our "upstairs TV" Roku stick used to work with connections to the 5.0 network, but no longer.
  • I use the same very complex password for all wireless networks, to simplify configuration just a bit. But it's still a real hassle to enter this password using the Roku password interface, just saying.

However, I cannot establish a password protected WiFi connection:
  • To the current "upstairs TV Roku stick, despite numerous attempts to enter the network password. Again, this Roku stick used to be able to connect to the 5.0 network.
  • I changed the channel for the 5.0 (2) network.
  • So I got a newer Roku stick with 4K support. This Roku stick is intended for the "upstairs" TV, and has "better Wifi support" built into the power connector cable, and plugged that in to the downstairs TV, separate by maybe 10 feet from the router. Plugged into the downstairs TV, signal strength is excellent, so I thought that I could eliminate latency/timeout issues.
  • I got a TP-Link Range Extender RE550, and created an _EXT SSID for just the 5.0 (2) network. The RE550 was plugged into an outlet less than 10 feet from the downstairs TV.
I have stared and stared and stared again at my Netgear Advanced configuration screens for a really long time, and I can't see any reason why the new network connections aren't accepted.

Exactly where do I go from here? If the RE550 doesn't improve the upstairs TV Roku stick performance, then I want to return it to Amazon.

Long term, I want to go with a MoCA network but post-Covid issues prevent me right now from doing work under the house to replace the very old splitters, etc. The RE550 is intended as a stopgap.

I would use your phone as a mobile hotspot for 5g or 2.4g and see if the roku connects, if not return it. This is always my go to for testing wifi devices.
The more I think about this problem, the more I think it's a Netgear router issue. I don't know why I've been a loyal Netgear customer over the years. Next router will definitely been from a different vendor.

Working now with the Netgear router (web interface) it's really frustrating to do IP address assignments, since that's on a different page from devices that have been detected. It's also clear that the router reports some IP address connections that are not active at the time. Also, when I want to change a device name, the change doesn't take effect, which is a bug in the software/firmware. I recently got Angry IP Scanner, and that simple tool has been really helpful.

I would use your phone as a mobile hotspot for 5g or 2.4g and see if the roku connects, if not return it. This is always my go to for testing wifi devices.

I've had some devices (*cough* nest *cough*) that decide they don't want to connect to the wifi that hasn't changed, connecting to a hotspot and then back the the regular helped. (Except for when Google pushed firmware that simply broke the wifi, and then had to ship me another device, whoops)

For my Rokus, the only wifi problem I have is I can't get them to consistently disable that direct-wifi BS; I run them on wired ethernet though.

I've had some devices (*cough* nest *cough*) that decide they don't want to connect to the wifi that hasn't changed, connecting to a hotspot and then back the the regular helped. (Except for when Google pushed firmware that simply broke the wifi, and then had to ship me another device, whoops)

For my Rokus, the only wifi problem I have is I can't get them to consistently disable that direct-wifi BS; I run them on wired ethernet though.
I got relatively inexpensive Roku sticks, with no wired Ethernet port. In any case, it would be prohibitively expensive for me to run Ethernet to the upstairs TV bedroom.

I don't have any Nest products. Only PCs, phones and tablets, TVs, Roku sticks, and an outdoor camera.

Your new 4k roku should have an ehternet port. Get a pair of these powerline adapters and plug them in--one near where it can get a ethernet connection in and another near the roku where the roku can connect to the powerline.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ine-starter-kit-white/5687904.p?skuId=5687904

As soon as you plug them in, they should be ready to go. Run iperf across the link and you should be seeing >100Mbps. Once you've confirmed that, do an internet speed test and it should look good. Then plug in your Roku and never look back.

We have our Rokus and other streaming hardwired or via powerlines like this and it's night and day. For the cost of moca adapters and all the work, the powerlines will do the job for the Rokus. (If you had other plans for the moca like nas backups or something then moca is always better, but there's also the part about just being able to set it up and enjoy it.

Your new 4k roku should have an ehternet port. Get a pair of these powerline adapters and plug them in--one near where it can get a ethernet connection in and another near the roku where the roku can connect to the powerline.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ine-starter-kit-white/5687904.p?skuId=5687904

I am looking at my new 4K Roku. Model 3820X. No RJ45 port. Just an HDMI port and a USB port for power. The power cord has a "bulge" that is almost as big as the actual Roku stick, presumably for the "enhanced WiFI." (sorry for the underline. )
As soon as you plug them in, they should be ready to go. Run iperf across the link and you should be seeing >100Mbps. Once you've confirmed that, do an internet speed test and it should look good. Then plug in your Roku and never look back.

We have our Rokus and other streaming hardwired or via powerlines like this and it's night and day. For the cost of moca adapters and all the work, the powerlines will do the job for the Rokus. (If you had other plans for the moca like nas backups or something then moca is always better, but there's also the part about just being able to set it up and enjoy it.
I already have a pair of powerline adapters, that I could repurpose.

I spent some "quality time" on the Netgear forums, and it's clear that there are a lot of people with password issues of one sort of another. I'm going to rewrite my post #1 as an issue with the Netgear router not accepting passwords for new device connections.

In the meantime, I'm not exactly looking good on front of my wife. :eek:

I do not think I have ever had that problem with a device before. I can kind of see how that would be possible if arp tables got screwy or corrupted.

I do not think I have ever had that problem with a device before. I can kind of see how that would be possible if arp tables got screwy or corrupted.
If there is a corrupted arp table, where is it stored? FYI: My home LAN is all Windows 10 PCs. For PC LAN folder-sharing, my desktop is the "master." This desktop shares folders (including drives) with several different laptops.

If the ARP table is in the router, what do I need to do to fix that problem?

If there is a corrupted arp table, where is it stored? FYI: My home LAN is all Windows 10 PCs. For PC LAN folder-sharing, my desktop is the "master." This desktop shares folders (including drives) with several different laptops.

If the ARP table is in the router, what do I need to do to fix that problem?
Does not look like there is a way to login and clear. Only result I found was by rebooting which I am sure you've done a million times.

I am looking at my new 4K Roku. Model 3820X. No RJ45 port. Just an HDMI port and a USB port for power. The power cord has a "bulge" that is almost as big as the actual Roku stick, presumably for the "enhanced WiFI." (sorry for the underline. )

I already have a pair of powerline adapters, that I could repurpose.

I spent some "quality time" on the Netgear forums, and it's clear that there are a lot of people with password issues of one sort of another. I'm going to rewrite my post #1 as an issue with the Netgear router not accepting passwords for new device connections.

In the meantime, I'm not exactly looking good on front of my wife. :eek:
Bummer that new roku doesn't have an ethernet port. Those powerlines would be much better than wifi if they can hit even 50Mbs consistently.

What about no login and just an open network for the Rokus? You can MAC restrict them later if it works and call it done.

I never entirely figured out why, (mainly because I got it working and forgot about it.) But for some reason a year ~ish ago my TP link router just stopped taking the WPA2 password for my 2.4Ghz clients... Tired to re-enter password on router several times and it would show that I had the password set, but it WOULD NOT accept any 2.4Ghz clients rejecting the password... Finally I gave up and added a new character of the END of the old password on router and then updated all the passwords on the 2.4Ghz clients to add this additional character in password and it worked.. and has kept working... In short computers / networking are stupid and this is a stupid hobby =P

Bummer that new roku doesn't have an ethernet port. Those powerlines would be much better than wifi if they can hit even 50Mbs consistently.

What about no login and just an open network for the Rokus? You can MAC restrict them later if it works and call it done.
That would be a security and theft of service risk that I don't want to take.

Well, I finally got a resolution.

I did a post similar to post #1 in this thread, and a very smart guy there suggested that maybe it was a Roku issue. They don't always like special characters. My router has two independent 5.0 networks, so for the 5.0 network I don't really use, I changed the password to just letters and numbers, but a lot of random characters. And what do you know, IT WORKED.

One issue out of the way.

That would be a security and theft of service risk that I don't want to take.
Not really because someone would literally have to wireshark the air and do some old school wardriving to get the macs and then spoof them. And then your rokus would stop working and you'd find out quick.

I did a post similar to post #1 in this thread, and a very smart guy there suggested that maybe it was a Roku issue. They don't always like special characters. My router has two independent 5.0 networks, so for the 5.0 network I don't really use, I changed the password to just letters and numbers, but a lot of random characters. And what do you know, IT WORKED.

Glad you figured it out. This is why I hate wireless and try to wire everything possible.

Without knowing what the original password was I say this with a grain or maybe even a box of salt. It is possible the Roku was enforcing the actual standard. WPA1/2/3 PSKs should be ascii 32-126. Many devices are somewhat lax on that enforcement. I will fault Roku if this was the case, it should have thrown an error when your entered the psk vs sending you down a rabbit hole and wasting your time. If this was the case the real culprit is the pos router that let you set it up to begin with. You have to ask yourself what other parts of the standard are they are letting slip.

Last edited:
Glad you got that working! Yay!

Minor nitpick... I had to read this post because you said you looked "bad on front of your wife." This implies that you were physically attached to her in some fashion, and that it was not generally attractive in appearance :)

I think you mean "in front of wife" - that literally means standing in front of her, but also generally means how she perceives you.

Minor nitpick... I had to read this post because you said you looked "bad on front of your wife." This implies that you were physically attached to her in some fashion, and that it was not generally attractive in appearance :)

I think you mean "in front of wife" - that literally means standing in front of her, but also generally means how she perceives you.
HAHAHAHA, how did I not miss this golden nugget! If I would have read that my first reply would have been, 'try getting on your wife's back and see if you look any better' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, damn spell checker.

Without knowing what the original password was I say this with a grain or maybe even a box of salt. It is possible the Roku was enforcing the actual standard. WPA1/2/3 PSKs should be ascii 32-126. Many devices are somewhat lax on that enforcement. I will fault Roku if this was the case, it should have thrown an error when your entered the psk vs sending you down a rabbit hole and wasting your time. If this was the case the real culprit is the pos router that let you set it up to begin with. You have to ask yourself what other parts of the standard are they are letting slip.
Well, the Roku stick allows me to enter special characters as part of the password.

In the past, the special character passwords did work with the Roku stick.

This situation is a good argument for the Apple approach. Do everything, hardware and software. Everything.

Of course, that approach is completely contrary to "open standards." Even Apple has had make some concessions to that. Of course, "standards" aren't always.

Well, the Roku stick allows me to enter special characters as part of the password.

In the past, the special character passwords did work with the Roku stick.

This situation is a good argument for the Apple approach. Do everything, hardware and software. Everything.

Of course, that approach is completely contrary to "open standards." Even Apple has had make some concessions to that. Of course, "standards" aren't always.
Or just don't outsource to countries and companies that will not do what you pay them to do if you turn your back for a single second. Apple is no exception as a good friend of ours used to have to visit china every other month and still has stories of clownfuckery that would make you want to bash someone's face in...no wonder they are considering bringing it back home, and frankly I'd welcome that.

Or just don't outsource to countries and companies that will not do what you pay them to do if you turn your back for a single second. Apple is no exception as a good friend of ours used to have to visit china every other month and still has stories of clownfuckery that would make you want to bash someone's face in...no wonder they are considering bringing it back home, and frankly I'd welcome that.
I guess some of that bringing-it-back-home is going on anyway these days.

Guy I know used to travel to Europe and China on a regular basis for his job. He has an amazing frequent flyer account balance.

I guess some of that bringing-it-back-home is going on anyway these days.

Guy I know used to travel to Europe and China on a regular basis for his job. He has an amazing frequent flyer account balance.
I truly hope so--I know we can build it just as good and at nearly the same price, and that will stop the IP theft in its tracks. They can invent their own MF wheel.

Oh yeah, international travel can do that. One of my wife's previous jobs (pre-pandemic) had her traveling international every other month. And she had the option of putting the company expenses on her own credit cards and then get reimbursed--that on the right cards got us both a free international flight each year to visit her parents. Covid fixed all that though, lol. Although in the wake of covid because AA kept just renewing status, I'm at a ridiculously high level that I will never see again after it expires. Almost every economy flight I've booked has been upgraded. :D

dont worry.. you should see the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) when I introduced x10 door sensor (ds10a), x10 motion sensor (MS13a) a few homeseer events..
goal... open door, light on in garage and trigger motion and after motion triggers off.. light off.. then no more kids forgetting to turn off the lights..

well she came upstairs and yelled at me cuz the garage light did as it is supposed too, then turned off on her while she was in the middle of the garage!!!! LOL

so i feel ya bruh...

Last edited:
well she came upstairs and yelled at me cuz the garage light did as it is supposed too, then turned off on her while she was in the middle of the garage!!!! LOL

so i feel ya bruh...
Can't wait for the wife to get mad at me for the motion sensing light in the shower that times out to 20 minutes, lol. At 5am I'm sure she'll be sure to tell me if it turns off on her!

But seriously motion sensing tech has come a super long way. I really don't understand why every room doesn't have motion sensing lights. And every faucet and toilet for that matter. I don't want to use my hands unless I have to. :D

dont worry.. you should see the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) when I introduced x10 door sensor (ds10a), x10 motion sensor (MS13a) a few homeseer events..
goal... open door, light on in garage and trigger motion and after motion triggers off.. light off.. then no more kids forgetting to turn off the lights..

so i feel ya bruh...
Yeah. I'll meet you up in the doghouse. :)

Make room for me! I'm starting to build a man cave in mine since I spend so much time there, lol.
dude..better leave room.. screw bunk beds..better have quad beds... and fwiw.. i like being the spooner...sometimes...sometimes the spoonee... 😁

Back