looking at x1900xt, but will CPU be dragging behind?

Bo_Bice

Gawd
im getting a system overhaul soon. I was wondering if anyone knew when CPUs start bottlenecking dramatically with the x1900xt? I'm looking for the dual-core CPU that can keep up with the vid card and not be a weak link, yet not be so great that there is minimal gain. hope that makes some sense.

since im spending so much on the video card, id prefer to pinch pennies, but not at the expense of severe bottlenecking.

hmmm, well im just trying to find out what CPU will go well with the x1900xt, not sure what else is relevant. i'm getting 2gb of corsair value too, but didn't think that was important.

So you're looking for the weakest CPU you can get that won't hold the x1900 back?

-bZj

well i think thats a trick question, right? i mean there will always be a bottleneck, im just looking for the cheapest CPU that will hold it back the least, so that the next CPU up gives just a minimal gain compared to the one i get

A Pentium 4 ~3.4ghz or Athlon ~2.2ghz should be enough. Dunno about dual cores, though, since they usually clock much lower.

I would say a 3700+. 1MB cache @ 2.2 ghz stock for ~$230. And you can always overclock if needed.

Basically, any CPU will do, as the card is not very CPU dependant.

I picked up the Opty Denmark 165 and it's a beast for the price. Dual core and hit 2.6ghz (stable) at only 1.4vcore. It beats the snot out of my old 3500+. Now I just have to find something to do with my 939 3500+, seems like a waste to just let it rot in the closet.

Firebat said:
Are you kidding?

No.

It will do fear at 16x12 w 4x FSAA at high frame rates with an AMD 64 3000.
That pretty much sums it up.

Theres a few benchmarks of people using +3500 with it and than them using a FX60 and seeing a HUGE difference(Like over 50% difference in some benchs). If I were you I wouldnt go any lower than +3800 X2. But If you look at crossfire benchs any CPU completly caps them and they only end up geting a few k higher. So I bet even the fastest CPU is capping it a good amount.

Where that is wrong is in low detail setting no extra's benchmarks...look at FSAA and AA and there is very little difference between an FX60 and a Turion.

Again, any CPU will do.

Look at the Athlon 3200 FPS of 75.2 and an FX 57 FPS of 77.5 with a slower video card even...I don't think he will have a problem with ANY CPU that will work on his motherboard.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/cpu-games2_6.html

Back