Looking at the Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core for plex..Will that CPU do well with transcoding?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So I currently have a 4790K and transcoding sucks. First time with an AMD, and someone said that they have come a long way.

So would that CPU do well for plex?

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Why don't you enable hardware encoding and use the QuickSync off of your existing CPU's IGP? Probably cheaper that way. Or get a cheapish video card with NVENC to do the transcoding.

But yes, for pure CPU transcoding the 3950x will run circles around a 4790k. How many concurrent streams do you have at a time?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Why don't you enable hardware encoding and use the QuickSync off of your existing CPU's IGP? Probably cheaper that way. Or get a cheapish video card with NVENC to do the transcoding.

But yes, for pure CPU transcoding the 3950x will run circles around a 4790k. How many concurrent streams do you have at a time?
I would like to have 3 streams. I hit more than 1 and the second one starts pausing and unpausing, etc

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Did you ever try hardware transcoding via your IGP or a video card? I mean if a Synology box with a low powered celeron will transcode multiple 4k streams using QuickSync, I see no reason not to at least try it.

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Did you ever try hardware transcoding via your IGP or a video card? I mean if a Synology box with a low powered celeron will transcode multiple 4k streams using QuickSync, I see no reason not to at least try it.
I turned that on.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
My 12-core 3900X handles real time plex transcoding of 4k h.265 great. I wouldn't have minded the extra few cores though, as I don't think I can do two simultaneous 4k stream transcodes at the moment.

For anything less than 4k h.265, it can probably handle as many streams as I can possibly throw at it.

saedrin

[H]ard|Gawd
The real answer is grab a more modern Intel CPU with updated QuickSync. Check the support matrix here to select a part that makes the most sense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

The hardware acceleration will absolutely out perform just chucking more CPU at the problem.

You can also look up adding a low cost Quadro to use NVENC if you want to avoid replacing the entire system. There's a bunch of threads on the Plex forums about this stuff.

I'm running an old E3 v2 Xeon but I direct stream all of my 4k content and don't share that library outside of my LAN, so take my advice with a grain of salt from someone who has only read up on this.

schizo

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, I agree. I use an i5-6500 in a cheap HP mini PC and it handles 4 hardware 1080p transcodes no problem. You want Skylake or later, ideally Kaby Lake for full HEVC support.

That said a 3950X will certainly do the trick too in software, and will handle more simultaneous transcodes. But you'll use a lot more power and it's much more expensive to boot.

Engr62

Gawd
I'm not doing plex transcoding like you are. I'm transcoding from Blu-ray to MP4 using Handbrake (2-pass). But I've kept a spreadsheet of data on the transcoding (using Handbrake, 2-pass, 3000 kbit/s) of the same file on various CPUs that have passed through my hands over the last few years (would love to upgrade the 3950X to a 5950X, but that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon due to availability). This might at least give you an idea of the relative performance of the i7-4790K (~ like my i7-4770K) and the Ryzen 9 3950X. I had an i7-4790K for a short while, but unfortunately, I didn't bench it with the same version of Handbrake (the 4790K was about 13% faster than my 4770K in an older version of Handbrake).

Handbrake transcode.png

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
So I currently have a 4790K and transcoding sucks. First time with an AMD, and someone said that they have come a long way.

So would that CPU do well for plex?
Most of the current CPUs would do better than your current i7-4790K. The i7-4790K had been lingering in "legacy" support status for a few years now: All of the newer iGPU drivers since about 2017 for that CPU had been merely security fixes to a driver that dated all the way back to 2015. And newer plex programs are now requiring a newer iGPU (and thus a newer version of QuickSync) just to even enable hardware encoding at all. Such depreciated support from Intel itself for a CPU that I had used in my main PC for over five years is the biggest reason why I upgraded from that CPU to an AMD Ryzen 7 3800X back in December of 2019.

And a discrete GPU with NVENC cannot come anywhere close to fully compensating for the deficiencies of that i7-4790K: Even a TOTL GPU with NVENC support will still leave the i7-4790K slower than even a cheap newer-gen CPU with a middling-performance Nvidia GPU.

Now, if you're going to encode into other codecs besides H.264 and HEVC, then the Ryzen 9 3950X is an excellent choice.

Last edited: