Looking at replaceing my venerable Pix506E, Suggestions?

Nate7311

2[H]4U
Right now here's a description of my WAN.

I have a T1 for net access at the main office connected to the PIX506E with 11 VPN'd remote locations running either Cable or DSL and Linksys RV082 or BEFVP41 (until they all die) routers. Right now it's been pretty damn bulletproof for about 2 years. As I enter the next big project, a VOIP solution, I find myself needing some QoS support, and unfiortunately the 506E doesn't have anything in that department.

Suggestions on an SMB router in the same class as the PIX with QoS? If the suggestion is liscense based, I'll need the unlimited version.

If you are a PIX fan, Then I would suggest you look at the ASA 5505. Check Point has become my favorite firewall, but the ASA line is a close second.

If you are a PIX fan, Then I would suggest you look at the ASA 5505. Check Point has become my favorite firewall, but the ASA line is a close second.

Get the ASA 5505.

Check Point firewalls, in my experience, have fantastic management interfaces. But the licensing headaches, support atrocities, and installation/re-installation nightmares will have you tearing your hair out and punching your $200/hour firewall consultant in the face while screaming "WHY CHECK POINT FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE WHY DO YOU DO IT THIS WAY?@#(%#@$??)

Check Point firewalls, in my experience, have fantastic management interfaces. But the licensing headaches, support atrocities, and installation/re-installation nightmares will have you tearing your hair out and punching your $200/hour firewall consultant in the face while screaming "WHY CHECK POINT FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE WHY DO YOU DO IT THIS WAY?@#(%#@$??)

I agree that they can be a pain. I just like the level of control you have over the traffic flow. Don't get me wrong, I deploy more ASA gear because it generally comes out cheaper than Check Point.

Another vote for the ASA 55xx series. The 5505 is a SOHO style box IMO, but if you're a small compasy you'll be fine. The ASDM interface is pretty damn jazzy as well.

Back