Looking at getting a new video card!??

Wickedout2011

Weaksauce
Well, I was thinking of upgrading my rig but decided to hold off for a awhile. So I'm looking for a new, faster and better GPU.

What would you do? I've been looking at the 6950 SAPPHIRE Toxic. I read somewhere you can turn these cards into 6970's with a switch of a button. I'm no expert on GPU so what's the truth to this? Thanks!!

If you are OK with waiting through the holiday season and into next year, I would hold on for the 7xxx series or the whatever series Nvidia(kepler) is coming out with.

Why not drop a 2nd 6870 into your rig? Getting the 2nd 6870 would be much cheaper than a 6950 and would give you more performance than a 6970, easily. Your motherboard looks like it can do crossfire just fine.

The only 6950s that can be unlocked into a 6970 are the boards based on the reference design. Most board makers have come out with their own cut-down cheaper designs by now to save on cost and none of those can be unlocked.

If I was to throw in another 6870 can I use any brand with my current XFX GPU?

Waiting for the 7xxx series might be a good idea as well.

I'll definitely look into X-fire and getting me another 6870. Not sure which brand I'll go with though.

Well, I was thinking of upgrading my rig but decided to hold off for a awhile. So I'm looking for a new, faster and better GPU.

What would you do? I've been looking at the 6950 SAPPHIRE Toxic. I read somewhere you can turn these cards into 6970's with a switch of a button. I'm no expert on GPU so what's the truth to this? Thanks!!

Not guaranteed in the slightest. I'd go with a normal 6950 or a 6870 (the latter is better value).

Not guaranteed in the slightest. I'd go with a normal 6950 or a 6870 (the latter is better value).

I'll pretty much upgrade my entire rig soon. It might be better to wait for the AMD 7xxx or Nvidia cards that will be here soon. New generation video cards.

Though I've read the new AMD Bulldozer is to be released to the public on Sept.19th. I'll just wait it out see all the reviews before I pull the trigger. Don't like waiting but I have a good feeling it might be worth the wait. Hopefully Intel lowers their prices to stay competitive.

Back