Looking at getting a 6800GT OC, have some questions

Steamed Turtle

Weaksauce
I have found the BFG Tech 6800GT OC at best buy for $400 shipped and I am probably going to get that. First I have some questions... my price range is 400 bucks, is there another GT out there that I would like more? I am an overclocker. Second will my system bottleneck the card? It's not terribly old but it's not next-gen either, my specs are...

EPoX 8RDA3+ Rev. 3
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.5Ghz
1gig of Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2-5

Lastly, I have a quality Antec PSU that has worked wonderfully with my BFG 5900NU, Leadtek 6800NU (wasn't mine but was in my system for testing) The PSU is only 300W but I think it'll be fine, what about you? Those are all my questions, any help would be appreciated.

what other components are you running? How is the cooling in your case? I do believe the BFG GT card comes with a lifetime warranty, and that's always a plus. I don't think your system will bottleneck that card. just my .02 though, good luck with your purchase

I've got 2 HDs, 2 CD drives and a SB Live! 5.1... never had a problem. I've got pretty good cooling if I do say so myself. Yes, it does come with a lifetime warrenty.

Look, if you don't have an FX-55, you are going to be CPU-limited sometimes with any current high-end graphics card. So don't worry about it.

300 W will probalby be fine.

Steamed Turtle said:
I have found the BFG Tech 6800GT OC at best buy for $400 shipped and I am probably going to get that. First I have some questions... my price range is 400 bucks, is there another GT out there that I would like more? I am an overclocker. Second will my system bottleneck the card? It's not terribly old but it's not next-gen either, my specs are...

EPoX 8RDA3+ Rev. 3
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.5Ghz
1gig of Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2-5

Lastly, I have a quality Antec PSU that has worked wonderfully with my BFG 5900NU, Leadtek 6800NU (wasn't mine but was in my system for testing) The PSU is only 300W but I think it'll be fine, what about you? Those are all my questions, any help would be appreciated.

I doubt the GT would run right w/ a 300w PSU. Try to get an Antec True 430 or 480.

i have a BFG 6800 GT OC and it is the best card i have ever had. i also bought mine from best buy and have had no problems with it. On the issue of the PSU i doubt a 300W will work . when i put in my new card i had a 350w thermatake and it burnt up in about 2 or 3 days. My system is OC'd quite a bit and my graphics card is to plus i have a koolance exos system on the psu also. I am now running a Enermax noistaker 600w and have not hade a problem since.

I would recommend a bigger PSU +500W

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.2 Prescott @ 3.84
ASUS P4P800-e Deluxe
1 gig of corsair Pc4000 (3-4-4-8)
BFG 6800GT @ (430/1110)
2 x WD Raptor 36Gb RAID 0
Enermax Noistaker 600W
Koolance Exos (CPU & GPU)

2/3 say get a new PSU so far... I'll probably wait and see after I get the card and run a few tests and then make a decision. BFG only suggests a 300W... and they always suggest higher than what is really needed because a lot of people have crappy PSUs.. and I'm *SURE* mine is of amazing quality.

Steamed Turtle said:
2/3 say get a new PSU so far... I'll probably wait and see after I get the card and run a few tests and then make a decision. BFG only suggests a 300W... and they always suggest higher than what is really needed because a lot of people have crappy PSUs.. and I'm *SURE* mine is of amazing quality.

But look how much you're powering. First off, you're OCing your CPU like mad and you have two HDD's and opticals. My old 6800GT barely ran with my antec true 430.

Take a trip to the power supply forum there is a sticky that has a formula you can use to determine your pwoer requirments. IceZcar posted it

you instantly void the warrenty if you overclock to video card anymore......so that's not really a selling point for you.

KaptainBlaZzed said:
i have a BFG 6800 GT OC and it is the best card i have ever had. i also bought mine from best buy and have had no problems with it. On the issue of the PSU i doubt a 300W will work . when i put in my new card i had a 350w thermatake and it burnt up in about 2 or 3 days. My system is OC'd quite a bit and my graphics card is to plus i have a koolance exos system on the psu also. I am now running a Enermax noistaker 600w and have not hade a problem since.

I would recommend a bigger PSU +500W

A 500+W PSU is overkill, all he really needs it a good reliable Neopower 480.

arcanetripwire said:
A 500+W PSU is overkill, all he really needs it a good reliable Neopower 480.

Lol....the difference between a quality 500w psu and a 480 isnt much. I suggest the OCZ powerstream 520, best PSU i've ever owned.

HEY steamedturtle!!! lol this is muqri omar.

Anyways you cant go wrong with BFG 6800GT, overclocks farther than an ultra on stock cooling and looks really nice.

Back