Looking at FPS vs playing the game

Which is more important to the average video card enthusiast on [H]?

• Having a card good enough to play the latest games

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • To get the highest FPS possible on the latest games

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
Which is more important to the average video card enthusiasts [H]:

1) Having a card good enough to play a game you enjoy
2) To get the highest FPS possible without much care for the game

i guess a combination. but really. pc dont last very long even more so before. every now and then having the best for past 15+ years i been a gamer. i think only time i been able to max everythingh out is just recently because i have more finances. but hey i completed witcher 3 1080p on laggy medium settings, the graphics were still good and i enjoyed the game, same with da:i but i have to admit both looks spectacular on max @ 1440p 27"

"Good enough to play?" really?. that is not a question that should be made at [H] where every frame with the higher setting available is highly appreciated... so I guess at least 90% of the [H]OCP user base will agree with the highest FPS possible on the latest games, This is specially true for old school members which also buy the better money can afford, remember this is an enthusiast community forum.

I play on the highest settings available on games that are 3-4 years old. Never saw the need to keep up with the latest and greatest titles (except for battlefield multiplayer).

Kind of a common sense question all you really need is to match your refresh rate. Anything beyond a 20-30fps cushion is pointless in my opinion unless you're competitively benchmarking.

I generally will upgrade or sidegrade each generation depending on what I'm playing or planning on playing since mid range cards retain a good amount of resale.

Last edited:
144FPS at 1440p is my goal. The 980 Ti was excellent, the 1080 is even better. G Sync helps tremendously with framerate drops so having VRR makes a big difference in how one answers this question. Maxxing out the FPS isn't quite as important. That being said, this is [H]. The Softforums are down the hall.... ;)

Last edited:
I think when talking about enthusiasts, this is a bad poll.

Top end enthusiasts always want bragging rights, but the holy grail right now is a consistent 60fps or better at a game's highest graphical settings, regardless of resolution (1080p, 2k, 4k).

There is nothing more fun than playing a fun game with all the bells and whistles turned on, and have it play as smooth as butter.

144FPS at 1440p is my goal. The 980 Ti was excellent, the 1080 is even better. G Sync helps tremendously with framerate drops so having VRR makes a big difference in how one answers this question. Maxxing out the FPS isn't quite as important. That being said, this is [H]. The Softforums are down the hall.... ;)

I have a 1070 sitting on my doorstep right now. Can't wait to get home and try it out with my new Dell 27" 1440p Gsync monitor!

I have a 1070 sitting on my doorstep right now. Can't wait to get home and try it out with my new Dell 27" 1440p Gsync monitor!

I need your street address :p

It seems the poll is split right down the middle right now. Interesting.

I have noticed that GTA V sometimes distracts me from the FPS counter, I think there should be an option of a big FPS counter in the middle or a full screen FPS counter. But then I might need a FPS counter for my FPS counter to ensure that the FPS of my FPS counter is locked at 60 ( everyone hates those FPS dips in their FPS numbers )

Frankly, if FPS was king, I don't think Kyle and them would need to worry about the experience as much as they do in their reviews.

A card or a processor can give you 300+ FPS - but if its inconsistent and you stutter like a sonofabitch, you aren't going to be happy with that 300+FPS are you?

If only I had the passion for fps as some of you people. Guess I have make due with happily playing a video game.

Frankly, FPS is really a relic of the past that is still clung to.

It used to be in the past that FPS had a direct correlation on how smooth an experience you had. This is back in the day when models and engines were far less complicated and less realistic. A boost in FPS translated into a much smoother and far superior experience.

However, as lighting, models and pretty much everything became more complex, FPS become something that was unsteady and uneven, and could spike and dip.

Hence, using it as a benchmark is pointless.

To put it another way, what's the point of saying a car you have can do 300 MPH if it can't stay there steady, but throttles between 300 MPH and 30 MPH? That ride won't be as smooth or enjoyable as a car that goes 60 mph consistently from point a to point b....

Neither, looking at FPS games, or playing them makes me puke - lol.

Max refresh at native resolution in the games that I play, I don't care about witcher 3 and ashes of singularity as much as Overwatch, CS GO, DOTA2, ect. In he past I've build computers specifically to be good at certain game types, mainly high fps first person shooters. I like high detail settings in games but in the end hitting max frames per second is MUCH more important to me

Back