Looking at a 5700XT or Nvidia equivalent: is now the time to buy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82943

I like to buy used when new cards come out and am in need of a card to replace my RX 580 (perfectly capable but just not cutting it) but j don’t want to buy if newer cards are coming out and the prices will fall even more. Would you guys buy now? Or wait?

i'd wait or look around locally for anything used that would be an upgrade.. with the way things are going there's a good likely hood some people will to have to start selling things off if they're not working.

Honestly, this isn't a bad time to buy used. People are going to expect next gen parts soon, but with the COVID-19 stuff, it will all be delayed. You might get a deal from someone expecting an upgrade soon only for them to realize it's 6 months out.

I've also had good luck with the 5700 to 5700XT bios mod. It doesn't unlock any extra shaders but it does unlock the power and boost. You get within 2-3% of an actual 5700XT for $50-60 less.

Not a bad idea.

mid it relatively safe to flash back to stock if stuff hits the fan?

getting close to XT perf would be nice for cheap since I’ll be paying the German tax

how long you plan on waiting for? new gpus are many months away. look for something in the fs/t thread.

how long you plan on waiting for? new gpus are many months away. look for something in the fs/t thread.
My RX 580 just isn't cutting it for Doom Eternal so I've only been waiting for 6 months I guess since I built this box before the game released based on the perf of Doom 2016 which my 580 runs just fine. In firefights on all settings HIGH fps dip below 45FPS which affects gameplay. The 1700X is OC'd mildly too so I doubt it's that and the RAM is 3200 Mhz DDR4 with tight (not insane timings) so that should fine.

Not a bad idea.

getting close to XT perf would be nice for cheap since I’ll be paying the German tax

Yeah, depending on the card you have. Some with a dual bios is very easy as you just flip the switch to boot into the other bios, flip it back, and flash the old bios back on it. Single bios cards aren't that hard either. Worst case you need a secondary graphics card and then put it in as a secondary card to flash.

If you don't like flashing the bios, there are power tools that mod the registry to do the same thing. I just like the bios flash as it is a set it and forget it type of mod. Shows up in CPU-Z as a 5700XT just the shader count is lower.

A RTX 2060/2060 Super benchmarks well in Doom Eternal and will be capable of Raytracing and DLSS when it arrives to the game later. (and other titles too)

https://www.techspot.com/article/1999-doom-eternal-benchmarks/

1080p-3.png

Not a bad idea.

If you are intending to flash the BIOS on the card, the easiest way to protect yourself is to make sure you get a card with a dual BIOS. There is a risk that you can brick the card, otherwise.

Plenty of them with dual bios, and as Kirbyrj said even if you got a single bios card, if you ended up flashing it wrong you could just pop your 580 back in and flash it back. I have a RX 5700 XT which gave me literally double and then some performance gains over a GTX 1060 I had. It was also was quite a bit quicker than the GTX 1080 I had for a day. I think a 5700 is the sweet spot right now for price and performance at least in the US. It's easily 70-150 dollars cheaper than the XT's. I don't expect next gen to drop until Fall at the earliest is my guess especially with the current Virus problem we have. Wouldn't be surprised if nothing showed up until the end of year.

I tried to wait it out as well, but at my 4K and 1440P resolutions I just couldn't when the rest of my rig (i9 [email protected], 32gigs ram, etc) was just being held so far back. I literally had your FPS drops in the 40-50 range as well but have now doubled that for low drops at 1440P in my games.

I couldn't justify the 2080 ti knowing that within a year they'd probably be replaced at the cost they go for.

TLDR: I feel the RX 5700 is in the sweet spot to get you what you want today, while saving up for next gen that'll probably drop in 7-8+ months from now.

Last edited:
I like to buy used when new cards come out and am in need of a card to replace my RX 580 (perfectly capable but just not cutting it) but j don’t want to buy if newer cards are coming out and the prices will fall even more. Would you guys buy now? Or wait?

What resolution are you playing at and what refresh rate? Freesync?

my dumb monitor only does 60fps at 1080p but the frames drop during firefights -- no free sync but that is in the cards with the next monitor upgrade -- hoping to spring for a 1440p free sync or gsync one

my dumb monitor only does 60fps at 1080p but the frames drop during firefights -- no free sync but that is in the cards with the next monitor upgrade -- hoping to spring for a 1440p free sync or gsync one

I upgraded from one of those to a 1440P, 144Hz IPS screen. I’m never going back. Ever. It’s honestly a night-and-day improvement. Probably the biggest change to my user experience since I switched from an HDD to and SSD for the boot drive.

Don't waste your money on G-Sync. Just get a good Freesync or Freesync2 monitor as, even with an Nvidia GPU, it will detect it and allow you to use "G-Sync" in most cases. No need to pay the Nvidia tax for no reason.

I upgraded from one of those to a 1440P, 144Hz IPS screen. I’m never going back. Ever. It’s honestly a night-and-day improvement. Probably the biggest change to my user experience since I switched from an HDD to and SSD for the boot drive.
what monitor did you get maybe I'll get the same and save myself some time having to jump into a rabbit hole of research

FYI AMD still hasn't fixed some quite notable issues with the 5700 series drivers yet
Really? What issues? I just know if I spring for a 5700 now whatever RDNA2 midrange card is released will blow my socks off (here’s to hoping anyway) but I can’t live like that otherwise I’ll never get a card.

Any new 5700 or 5700XT will work, Hell my 5820K with a 5 yr old XFX undervolted 390X hits 70-100 fps on my LG 2K 144Hz VA panel on ultra nightmare settings, Doom Eternal runs like butter. Vulkan API runs great.

what monitor did you get maybe I'll get the same and save myself some time having to jump into a rabbit hole of research

I got the AOC AG271QG. A few points to consider:

1) Almost all the monitors in that class, to my knowledge, are using the AU Optronics IPS panel. Everything from the AGON to the ASUS ROG Swift to the Acer Predator are using that same OEM as far as I’m aware. I’m not sure if there are any QC differences between the manufacturers (maybe someone else can chime in), but AOC was sharply lower in price than the Swift or the Predator that had the same stats at the time I bought it. When I say sharply lower in price, I mean it was almost $300 CAD less, which was the main needle mover for me. AOC does offer really good warranty coverage for the AGON series as it is their flagship gaming monitor, although I’m sure Acer and ASUS will also offer excellent warranties in that product class.

2) Mine easily overclocked to 165Hz. I understand that quite a few can in this monitor class.

3) My monitor is G-Sync, and I bought it a few months before Nvidia launched the “G-Sync compatible” Freesync monitor list, much to my chagrin, as I would have preferred to go Freesync to save money. That said, when I bought the monitor, it was on sale and, oddly, less than the Freesync equivalent (go figure). One drawback of G-Sync is you will be locked in to Nvidia if you want to use that feature. A “G-Sync compatible” Freesync monitor, however, allows for adaptive sync for either AMD or Nvidia cards, and given that Raja is now developing for Intel, I presume their cards will also support Freesync. Proprietary standards piss me off and I’m locked in to Nvidia for the foreseeable future, but what can you do (note I have no brand loyalty because fanboyism is stupid, I upgraded from an R9 280X to a GTX 1070 Ti). If I’m you, I would start my search from the G-Sync compatible Freesync monitor list on Nvidia’s website and go from there.

Any new 5700 or 5700XT will work, Hell my 5820K with a 5 yr old XFX undervolted 390X hits 70-100 fps on my LG 2K 144Hz VA panel on ultra nightmare settings, Doom Eternal runs like butter. Vulkan API runs great.
Wtf then it runs like shit on my 1700X OC and slightly OC’d RX580...

do I have to turn automatic resolution scaling off? What settings are you running?

Remember the 390X is 2816 shaders 44 CU/ /176 TMU/ 64 ROP/ 512 bus with max bandwidth of 422 gb/s oc at 1750 OC mem.

I am undervolted and at 1200 reduced mem speed runs cooler and faster better timings.

Hmm. I’ll turn off cinematic aberration and check it out. You’re getting more frames at 1440p than I am at 1080p.
Also very cool of you to make a video for this. Kudos man.

I dont think I'd buy an AMD card right now, specially with nvidia DLSS 2.0

It seems turing will still run quite well in upcoming games with DLSS, so I'd take a look at a 2060super as a bare minimum.

I'd say wait, but it seems ampere/navi 20 may be pushed back till q4 if not 2021.

I dont think I'd buy an AMD card right now, specially with nvidia DLSS 2.0

It seems turing will still run quite well in upcoming games with DLSS, so I'd take a look at a 2060super as a bare minimum.

I'd say wait, but it seems ampere/navi 20 may be pushed back till q4 if not 2021.

As I've stated elsewhere, DLSS 2.0 is still fantasy land as it's only available on four games. If you don't play those four games it doesn't do anything for you. If you are waiting on mainstream global support for technology like that you are better off waiting for the next gen.

Quoted for posterity.

Another sheep being led around by a leather jacket clad shepherd.

2 years from now. DLSS might be worth something. Right now, it's just a talking point. Until it is released for the majority of AAA games at the time of the games' release, it might always be a talking point...

Anyone remember waiting for driver releases for SLI profiles? Here we are again just waiting for DLSS implementation. At least a lot of SLI profiles were ready at launch time. The most recent DLSS game was released in Dec. 2019.

Doom Eternal is getting DLSS and RT patch here soon and OP is upgrading specifically for that game, so I say DLSS is definitely relevant to OP now and will only become more advantagous to have over the life of the card as it comes to more games. I say it's totally worth getting a 2060 Super or something now not only because of these ancillary DLSS and RT benefits, but because it's completely competitive with AMD's 5700 XT at the same price point. Sure, you can flash/OC the 5700 to near XT and 2060S level performance too, but you can also OC the XT and 2060S that much more ahead of it as well, so you're getting what you pay for either way.

But going back to Doom Eternal getting DLSS, if it's nearly as good of an implementation as Wolfenstein YB (which it should be running on a newer version of the same engine and by the same devs), then a 2060S will be able to run it at 4K/60 or 1440p/120 easily at maxed IQ settings, even with RT on with a completely negligible hit on image quality. That's seems pretty enticing to me if that's one of OP's top games right now.

Last edited:

2 years from now. DLSS might be worth something. Right now, it's just a talking point. Until it is released for the majority of AAA games at the time of the games' release, it might always be a talking point...

Anyone remember waiting for driver releases for SLI profiles? Here we are again just waiting for DLSS implementation. At least a lot of SLI profiles were ready at launch time. The most recent DLSS game was released in Dec. 2019.

Tone down on the insults. You seriously need to take a break, get some fresh air.

Tone down on the insults. You seriously need to take a break, get some fresh air.

I'm sorry you feel insulted by my pointing out the shortcomings of your favored graphics card manufacturer.

Unlike yourself, I've used a handful of Navi cards, a handful of Vega cards, more than a handful of Pascal, and a handful of Turing. If you are contemplating buying now (like the OP), pure rasterization potential is more important than gimicky features available on a handful of titles. When you are playing the game, you aren't always going to notice the IQ difference. I played through half of SotTR with RT on with my 2080S and half with no RT on my 5700 and enjoyed the game on both of them.

If you are buying next year (or more appropriately after next gen consoles release), that might be different.

Really? What issues? I just know if I spring for a 5700 now whatever RDNA2 midrange card is released will blow my socks off (here’s to hoping anyway) but I can’t live like that otherwise I’ll never get a card.

As of January GN took up still unresolved issues from last year with AMD at their booth:

EDIT: yeah for for now i think of RT as gimmick but, i got my RTX cards cheap and barley used. what i like from NV is the software has always just worked for me. the RX series concerns me with reports of notable issues still affect some users and AMD claiming to not even be aware of some of the aforementioned issues.

As of January GN took up still unresolved issues from last year with AMD at their booth:

EDIT: yeah for for now i think of RT as gimmick but, i got my RTX cards cheap and barley used. what i like from NV is the software has always just worked for me. the RX series concerns me with reports of notable issues still affect some users and AMD claiming to not even be aware of some of the aforementioned issues.

"as of January" is the key there. its now the end or march and the last two drivers releases have fixed a tonne of those issues.

I see no major " I have to have it" visual difference. Plus it does nothing to improve gameplay or mechanics if game engine is buggy it is still crap.

For example since I am left handed I need a fully mappable controls, but some designers refuse to do this, guess what happens next, game is returned whether it RTX or DLSS perfection. I do not use third party software to fix, with the price of these releases hitting 100 after DLC BS, it is a deal breaker if it doesn't work OOB.

If it works on a $100 card I am all in, but not at a mortgage payment for the next gen 30 series card.

Last edited:
games are at the point where I don't know if raytracing would make a huge difference -- the fidelity of the graphics already is so good

I don't want this to regress into a flame war -- I am mostly just cost bound but am not married to team red or team green -- and I'll just go with whatever runs my games (SC2, Diablo3, Doom 2016/Eternal) better that is also not a jet engine when it gets hot (my 580 runs quiet) etc for the best price.

I think I'd like to stay <400 USD.

games are at the point where I don't know if raytracing would make a huge difference -- the fidelity of the graphics already is so good

I don't want this to regress into a flame war -- I am mostly just cost bound but am not married to team red or team green -- and I'll just go with whatever runs my games (SC2, Diablo3, Doom 2016/Eternal) better that is also not a jet engine when it gets hot (my 580 runs quiet) etc for the best price.

Used - 5700XT or 2070/2060S
New - 5700XT or 2060S

I've seen the MSI 5700XT Evoke for $335 recently from NE. Most of the people in the forums have them around $325-340.
I've seen a 2060S in the forums for ~$340 and new they are closer to $379. Used 2070 pricing is closer to the new 2060S. Occasionally a 2070 non S will pop up sub $400 with a rebate or something like that.

Its been like 18+ months since DLSS was announced, so its about time it becomes relevant.
It seems this time developers are actually excited about the thing, so it may finally see broad adoption.

Control already had arguably the best DLSS implementation, and it became so much better with DLSS 2.0, so the future looks promising.

AFAIK UE is implementing DLSS in its engine and Unity is sure to follow.

I'm kind of glad many developers put DLSS on hold, I recall there were like 30+ games announced last year, today we have like 8 or so. Hopefully we will get support for DLSS 2.0 on some of these games soon.

Won’t be buying anything for the time being. I disabled the cinematic nonsense and turned off adaptive vsync and was running the game in high settings at 1080p at about 200fps it’s crazy

Well, you won’t get playable frame rates for RTX under $400 USD last I checked in the majority of titles. I skipped this generation after I saw how low the frame rates went when RTX was enabled and decided to wait until the 3000 series before I start trying it.

Back