Looking at 970 to replace 7950

oMek

Gawd
I have one of the first sapphire 7950's runs @ 1100/1575. That being said this card is almost 3 years old now and I have decided to upgrade. I have no pref red/green but am looking for the best bang for my buck.

The gtx 970 look decent and are in my price range (sub $400). I game on a 1440p monitor so the extra ram would also help out some.

Will this be a worth while upgrade? any advise would be great as I have been out of the loop for a few years.

GTX 970 or 290X are close to the same price. You can't go wrong either way. If your games need a little more boost then it is worth it.

I'm not even sure why it had a EVGA 970 GTX FTW for the card. As all the rest are regulars ones. Which is really weird. I thought it would have picked a standard run of the mill 970 GTX. Not sure what is going with that on Anandtech.

Mine was just to give him a general idea of how the card would compare to his. Even though his wasn't a boost version though. Still trying to figure out why that card is there for the 970 GTX results though.

Nice card, but he said sub $400

I'm not even sure why it had a EVGA 970 GTX FTW for the card. As all the rest are regulars ones. Which is really weird. I thought it would have picked a standard run of the mill 970 GTX. Not sure what is going with that on Anandtech.

Mine was just to give him a general idea of how the card would compare to his. Even though his wasn't a boost version though. Still trying to figure out why that card is there for the 970 GTX results though.

Oh I was being unclear, sorry. It was directed at rabidz7.

Sadly he is a know troller in these forums. Making random threads for useless information on old tech, etc. Not really sure what he is up to in here.
Oh I was being unclear, sorry. It was directed at rabidz7.

why evga? i heard their cards are performing pretty bad on overclocks and temp issues compared to MSI/Gigabyte versions. If anything i'd recommend the G1 Gigabyte or MSI 4G 970's.

why evga? i heard their cards are performing pretty bad on overclocks and temp issues compared to MSI/Gigabyte versions. If anything i'd recommend the G1 Gigabyte or MSI 4G 970's.

I always use eVGA cards because of the warranty support.

Went ahead and ordered the G1 gaming 970, hopefully I do not regret it.

It's probably the best overall 970 build wise and with the best cooling and overclocking ability. You should be able to get 1550core/8000mem out of the gate with no issues. If you want to get into the 1600core range check out the custom BIOS' at overclock.net. I don't recommend any of the NOLIMITS BIOS as they will probably hurt your performance. There are a couple good BIOS floating around there though and I have one I modded that several people have used and it works great. It also gets rid of the stability issues in certain games menus.

Between the 2 gaming versions of those brand.
What are the differences between the 2?
I already know about the obvious :extra fan and extra ports on one.

Any other differences?

Thanks

Blarf

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
* Core Clock 1140
* MHzBoost Clock 1279

VS

GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD
* Core Clock 1178
* MHzBoost Clock 1329

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
* Core Clock 1140
* MHzBoost Clock 1279

VS

GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD
* Core Clock 1178
* MHzBoost Clock 1329

the G1 has higher oc and some noise. better temps (67C load max)

the msi is silent, lower madx oc and 78C load max.

I've had my hands on both and the gigabyte clocked at 1570mhz core /7700mhz memory default bios rev 1.1, the msi clocked at 1525mhz core/7600mhz memory.

edit, the noise i was referring to is fan noise, both cards have minor coil whine when gaming.

Does boost clocks very? my g1 gaming is clocked @ 50mhz higher than advertised.

You won't. I just installed one last night, sold my 780. Immediately I noticed differences. I game at 1440P. According to my 3d mark runs, its approx 12-14% faster in most benches. Thats just experience, I have no idea what the numbers on the web say.

Back