lookin to throw a pc together for the girlfriend. Recommend me parts <$400.00

Lookin to throw a computer together for the gf sometime in the next couple months. I got her a laptop last year and wanted to just throw together somethings simple to replace her ANCIENT desktop (win 98)

She doesnt do any gaming (other than yahoo! gin, and stuff like that) and it would be used for internet, cd/dvd burning, and music, thats about it. Lookin for something simple as far as mobo/CPU/videocard/ram

already have a case/hd/soundcard/accessories

any ideas?

thanks

movies? HDCP? HDPC?

im asuming shes not looking to overclock too.... and you have a sound card too... hmm....

the major question is AMD or Intel. i know nothing of intel platforms and the Conroe abillity
and what chipsets are needed to run em... so ill give you amd advice.

any mobo with integrated 6100 or 6150... seems like a good idea. one of the features that makes Nforce 500 nice is the integrated sound, its the new Audigy w/e. but since you have a sound card no sense wasting money.

if you are gonna turn this into an HDPC, you would want Nforce 550 with a 7600GS/All in wonder X1600 (there are HDCP compliant 7600GS out, Asus has one) and i cant see you needing anything more then an atholon 3000+ or Sempron. some DDR2 800, 512mb, autta be fine.

this mobo
this processer
this graphics card
this ram
total: $360

course you can ditch the graphics card and mobo and go for the above mentioned, in S am2 form, save a couple bucks.

considered throwing the sempron up there...it didn't look like he'd be overclocking though, but certainly an option...frankly picking up some used nf2 with an IGP and socket a parts would prolly be fine too.

Biostar 6100-M9 @ $60
G.Skill Value 1gig 2x512 @ $80
A64 3200+ @ $98

Total: $238

Just thought I'd toss my hat into the ring :)

So you don't need DVDRW or PSU or case either huh?
Otherwise you could always stick this all into a cutely colored SFF case!

MrWizard6600 said:
movies? HDCP? HDPC?

im asuming shes not looking to overclock too.... and you have a sound card too... hmm....

the major question is AMD or Intel. i know nothing of intel platforms and the Conroe abillity
and what chipsets are needed to run em... so ill give you amd advice.

any mobo with integrated 6100 or 6150... seems like a good idea. one of the features that makes Nforce 500 nice is the integrated sound, its the new Audigy w/e. but since you have a sound card no sense wasting money.

if you are gonna turn this into an HDPC, you would want Nforce 550 with a 7600GS/All in wonder X1600 (there are HDCP compliant 7600GS out, Asus has one) and i cant see you needing anything more then an atholon 3000+ or Sempron. some DDR2 800, 512mb, autta be fine.

this mobo
this processer
this graphics card
this ram
total: $360

course you can ditch the graphics card and mobo and go for the above mentioned, in S am2 form, save a couple bucks.

Seconded. Good config - Vista Aero ready.

isn't there a hot deal for like $60 atm for some sempron 3000 or 3100+ with motherboard @ frys? That might be a good base start to throw in like a 7600gs and 512mb of ram.

Get a Micro Fly case. Girls like SFF methinks. And add a quiet PSU. nForce mATX mobos such as the Biostart Tforce ones have decent onboard graphics. That'll help keep the budget sub-$400.

Back