Lookin for WoW-like single player game

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Mnx4, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Mnx4

Mnx4 [H]ard|Gawd

I quit wow for a while now, but I'm lookin for a fantasy RPG similar to it. I've played oblivion for the PC and have really enjoyed it, and when my computer is finally set up, i'm going to start looking into addons. Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2 was also an amazing game. I'd get Dark Alliance 2 but it's still 50 bucks at any gamestop. Diablo 1 and 2 are good, but just haven't kept my interest recently. Dungeon Siege 1 entertained, but the story was meh and just wasn't an all around fan of the experience.

Mainly what I'm looking for is a purchaseable ability flowchart (ability/talent points), attributes, luck-o'-the-draw drops, preferably 3D, and preferably fantasy, though genre doesn't matter so much. Vast terrain and decent story a plus. Any console or pc.

Thanks.

2. Citizen86

Citizen86 [H]ardness Supreme

There are many that didn't like it, but it was mostly for the bugs when it first came out, but Gothic 3 (or even 1 and 2 although old now) was a very good game, fun story and can be difficult. None of the enemies levelling up with you crap that comes with Oblivion. If an enemy is too strong for you, you go get tougher before you try and kill it.

There are newer community patches that fix 90% of the problems with the game. Definitely worth a try.

3. Climber

Climber [H]ardness Supreme

4. gregnash

gregnash 2[H]4U

+1 Titan Quest, also might want to look into the precursor for Oblivion, Morrowind or see if you can get into the beta of Mythos (if you want Diabloesque MMO). But really Titan Quest and the expansion are the only real ones.

5. Citizen86

Citizen86 [H]ardness Supreme

Only $20 at Direct2Drive and Steam for Titan Quest + Expansion.

6. krameriffic

krameriffic 2[H]4U

There are tons of great RPG games for the PC. Both Baldur's Gates and expansions are considered to be among the best cRPG games ever made. Neverwinter Nights is in the same vein (but not quite on the same level as BG). Morrowind is frequently considered to be a better RPG game than Oblivion as well. While they are Star Wars and not fantasy themed games, Knights of the Old Republic and the sequel are both extremely good RPGs as well.

7. jslater25

jslater25 Limp Gawd

Its older, but Arcanum might be a game similar to WoW. If I remember correctly, you get to decide which tree ability/flowchart you pursue. You can choose between magic or physical (guns and such). Its based on Baldur's Gate if I remember correctly.

8. strend

strend Gawd

The Witcher and Titans Quest.

9. berzerker

berzerker Gawd

Gothic II and 3. The series is a good third-person RPG with a large, explorable world, skill trees, crafting, alchemy and occasional NPC henchmen. The closest comparison is to the Elder Scrolls series.

10. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Oblivion

Titan Quest

The Witcher

Gothic series

Knights of the Old Republic

Baulders gate

and of course Diablo 1& 2 if you havent played them

11. Garfing Sharks

Garfing Sharks [H]Lite

12. Charger69

Charger69 Limp Gawd

13. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

damn everythign i could think of (really only oblivion and elder scroll) was already mentioned!

14. 2fast4u2c

2fast4u2c n00b

replaying this at the moment, definitely agree. <3 fable :)

15. TheCommander

TheCommander 2[H]4U

Neverwinter Nights and its expansion packs.

16. Shakezilla

Shakezilla [H]ard|Gawd

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are most likely my favorite RPGs of all time 2nd only to FF 7 and 8.

BG 1 & 2 just have amazing depth.

17. Climber

Climber [H]ardness Supreme

I don't know. While Fable was good, it wasn't great, at least in my mind. Maybe it was just that the hype had me expecting something more but i was somewhat disapointed.

18. saladbar

saladbar n00b

Don't know about all of you but I liked all of the Dungeon Siege games, and of course Titan Quest.

19. MrCoffee

MrCoffee Limp Gawd

The Witcher had a great storyline/gameplay, and I could see someone saying it has a WoW'ish feeling to it, interface wise. Anyways, great RPG none the less, one of my favorites.

20. arr4ws

arr4ws [H]ardness Supreme

i will pick that one soon

21. Kehl

Kehl [H]Lite

Gothic 3 has been a lot of fun and was my replacement for WoW. I soloed most the time in WoW anyways.

22. vengence

vengence Level capped

After playing other MMOs, I have to ask. I thought WoW was a single player game... XD

Yeah, try the witcher. You could allways pick up morowind if you don't mind the older graphics.

23. Kaash

Kaash Limp Gawd

The witcher fun long game. also for a cheap game with cartoonish graphics like wow look at FATE.

24. Voltron

Voltron Limp Gawd

/tag

Good list, I will have to try some of these games out.

25. aethelwulf

aethelwulf [H]ard|Gawd

I picked up Two Worlds off Steam for $10 bucks. People complained a lot about bugs apparently, but I haven't have any issues (other than needing to install DX9 for sound, but that was an easy fix.) I don't know how much it's going for now, but it's a good deal for 10.

26. gluzko

gluzko [H]Lite

titan quest ftw

but he company is closin ship so :(

27. Voltron

Voltron Limp Gawd

Well, went home and downloaded Titan Quest and the expansion for 20$ and have to say. So far I love it! It is more like Diablo than WoW but will help me break my WoW addictions.. lol

I so wish I could use my arrow keys to move though. My wrist started hurting yesterday.

28. ex0du5

ex0du5 Gawd

Do you have a PS2? You could check out Final Fantasy XII.

29. D4rkside

D4rkside Limp Gawd

I suppose Dungeon Siege and Titan Quest would work...nothing really like WOW in the single player realm, though. At least, nothing as deep and rewarding IMO.

30. vengence

vengence Level capped

FFXII is really single player FFXI tbh. Of course, that doesn't stop it from being a hell of a lot of fun!

31. Mnx4

Mnx4 [H]ard|Gawd

Wow thanks for the suggestions so far. Yeah, in WoW, I mainly kept to myself, but the game was just ruined for me by the asshattery of others. If there were a single player or coop campaign, i'd still be addicted.

I've got FF12 queued up in the list of playstation games i've still got to play through. I forgot I had a 25 visa gift card, so the other day I went out and got Baldur's Gate 2, and it's pretty much like the first one, but it's got a few differences.

32. knawlejj

knawlejj Limp Gawd

Good list, I'll have to check some of these out as I'm an ex-WoW addict with over 2200 hours logged.

Gonna check out Titan Quest, I have the Mythos Beta (fun btw), looks like I need to get the BG games also.