Lookin at speaker upgrade

amb7247

n00b
Nothing wrong with my Klipsch 4.1's. Had them for 3 years now with no problems. But of course the Klpsch 5.1 Ultra and the Logitech Z-5500's look great.

The thing is i have the original Klipsch 4.1's. That's before the 4.1-v.2, before the updated v2 amp and before the upgraded pre-amp (no headphone jack). So what I'm curious is, will I hear any audio improvement from using this to going up to either the Klipsch 5.1 Ultra or the Logitech. I hope it will since I hear around hte net the mid range and etc are improved with the Klipsch.

Midrange wont improve dramatically with any of the new klipsch since the midrange driver is the same in size (but diff in composition). There are new crossovers with the Ultras, though I dont hear a perceptible difference in SQ between my former Promedia 4.1s and my Ultras (actually, my brother's).

What you get, however, is a MUCH better subwoofer. The Ultra sub is definitely a level or two above the 4.1's subwoofer. The ported design basically eliminates all port turbulence that I heard on the 4.1's sub.

The ultra sub grabs you and does let you go. It is downright tight and menacing.

Perhaps even tighter and more violent than my Klipsch KSW10 HT sub.... but definitely not up to snuff compared to my SVS PC+, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, before I ramble on... I would say this:

- If you want true IMPROVEMENT, go for the Ultra 5.1.
- Go on ebay and buy Klipsch B2 bookshelves.
- Replace the front mains (2 main satellites) of the Ultra with the Klipsch B2.

You're set to go for the next 5 years with an awesome system.

Just ask my brother - this is what I did for him for his birthday.

Notice how the Klipsch Synergy B2 match perfectly with the rest of the Ultra sats? Nice, huh? $120 for the pair from ebay. ;)
47b5d625b3127cce936f8a8ae29700000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

Pinipig523 said:
Midrange wont improve dramatically with any of the new klipsch since the midrange driver is the same in size (but diff in composition). There are new crossovers with the Ultras, though I dont hear a perceptible difference in SQ between my former Promedia 4.1s and my Ultras (actually, my brother's).

What you get, however, is a MUCH better subwoofer. The Ultra sub is definitely a level or two above the 4.1's subwoofer. The ported design basically eliminates all port turbulence that I heard on the 4.1's sub.

The ultra sub grabs you and does let you go. It is downright tight and menacing.

Perhaps even tighter and more violent than my Klipsch KSW10 HT sub.... but definitely not up to snuff compared to my SVS PC+, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, before I ramble on... I would say this:

- If you want true IMPROVEMENT, go for the Ultra 5.1.
- Go on ebay and buy Klipsch B2 bookshelves.
- Replace the front mains (2 main satellites) of the Ultra with the Klipsch B2.

You're set to go for the next 5 years with an awesome system.

Just ask my brother - this is what I did for him for his birthday.

Notice how the Klipsch Synergy B2 match perfectly with the rest of the Ultra sats? Nice, huh? $120 for the pair from ebay. ;)
47b5d625b3127cce936f8a8ae29700000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

That is f*in badass. Excellent idea. I'm assuming the B2's are fully compatible with the amp in the Ultras?

All you need to to add is an SWS or 16 and you can make some serious noise.

I had the old Klipsch 5.1's, and the Ultra sub is definitely an improvement. To this day I consider shelling out for good speakers to be one of my best investments (besides the tv tuner card that lets me record stuff...cough*).

Where do you get those stands? I see the B'2 synergy on best buy but I don't see the stands. Also can i easliy plug in my Klipsch 4.1 cables to those or do I have to use 16 guage wires instead?

amb7247 said:
Where do you get those stands? I see the B'2 synergy on best buy but I don't see the stands. Also can i easliy plug in my Klipsch 4.1 cables to those or do I have to use 16 guage wires instead?

The stands I bought from ebay - then gave to my brother.

You can easily plug the bookshelves to your promedia amp... but you need speaker wire that terminates into the usual +/- ends. The promedia 4.1s have a phonoplug at one end.

What you can do is cut off the phono plug end and use the wires as is.

This is my brother's setup.... not mine. Mine is still better IMO hehehehe.... but I guess I rubbed off on him pretty well. :p

Back