Look what I got for free. =)

ranviper

[H]ard|Gawd
Sister-in-law gave this too me. Still works, running a Pentium 4 and 512mb RAM. Thinking I'll salvage the PSU, dvd drive, and the case. And idea's what I could do with the case? HTPC? Mod and build a mATX?

009yvk.jpg

008qsa.jpg

007im.jpg

That's actually pretty clean for an old computer (relatively speaking).

I'd take a hard look at that PSU. Chances are it's full of bulging caps by now.

Boat anchor indeed.

#1 circuit board $2/pound down at the port

throw the steel in the alley for the crackheads

PIIIs I will salvage for firewalls, CNC machines etc.

PIVs go in the scrapper, sorry OP

That's pretty cool but I don't think it's thread worthy.
I got a Canon 28-70L f/2.8 for free last year.

Hm. I am feeling perhaps modding the case a wee bit and sticking a micro board in there.

Hm. I am feeling perhaps modding the case a wee bit and sticking a micro board in there.

That'd be cool, it's not a bad looking case at all. I have a few prebuilt P4 machines I've been given over the years and most of them are pretty fugly sadly.

How fast is the cpu? Dunno if this is your sort of thing, but I just built a late-2004-era gaming machine out of an HP I had with a nice Asus board and a 2.6GHz Northwood HT and some spare parts, and just had to buy a new case and an old 6600GT for it. Planning on playing HL2 and Halo on it. Not really useful but personally I love piecing together older 'retro' machines.

That'd be cool, it's not a bad looking case at all. I have a few prebuilt P4 machines I've been given over the years and most of them are pretty fugly sadly.

How fast is the cpu? Dunno if this is your sort of thing, but I just built a late-2004-era gaming machine out of an HP I had with a nice Asus board and a 2.6GHz Northwood HT and some spare parts, and just had to buy a new case and an old 6600GT for it. Planning on playing HL2 and Halo on it. Not really useful but personally I love piecing together older 'retro' machines.

Haha, yes yes this is true. I enjoy it too. I have an old eMac, and earlier the iMac G3 that I love to play nanosaur and SC1 on.

I say mod, some of the best things come out of people who use someone else's trash to fit their needs.

I am hoping for a free score myself, and if it comes through I'll be posting a similar thread looking for ideas :D

For something like this I would probably gut the whole thing and maybe convert it into an htpc. That or clean it up and give it to someone who doesn't have anything, or a charity.

I say mod, some of the best things come out of people who use someone else's trash to fit their needs.

I am hoping for a free score myself, and if it comes through I'll be posting a similar thread looking for ideas :D

For something like this I would probably gut the whole thing and maybe convert it into an htpc. That or clean it up and give it to someone who doesn't have anything, or a charity.

THIS! Sometimes when you get a chassis that's got everything the way you need/want there is no compelling reason to mod it. Taking something that's a throw away and making it awesome is what I like to see!

That's a clean one specially for its age. They must have a clean house!

Yeah - my sister-in-law's a pretty good housekeeper when she's home. Even though she and her husband (my brother) both work and have 2 kids.

Pros.

Amen! Anyone with a Visa card can order a bunch of snap together parts. My vote is that you drag that thing to the garage and fire up the blow torch.:eek:

I have given away a crap load of comps over the years to people who dont have one. So +1 to getting it working and donating it. :)

I have given away a crap load of comps over the years to people who dont have one. So +1 to getting it working and donating it. :)

Gawd, I wish I had that discipline...I get them going and they end up folding like 90 ppd and heating the house...got quite a stack going now

Back