Look at what me and my friend did

mmx+

n00b
So, I was over at my friend's house for the afternoon, and we got bored, so we decided to have some fun with his cold cathodes. Unfortunately, however, they were too big to fit in the Antec 300 in any reasonable location, so he decided to put them on the monitor.

Specs:

Antec 300
Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
Q6600 @ 3.6GHZ
2GB DDR3
Visiontek HD 3870X2
WD Raptor 150GB & WD 200GB
Enermax Galaxy 1KW
TT Big Typhoon
A whole bunch of Apevia LED fans

So, here's the pic:

351fsb6.jpg

(I am the person whose computer it is)

Yeah, it will, but when it does, I can just turn them off! :)

Just a proof-of-concept thing IMO. It was funny.

Look at what my friend and I did. :p

The bottom one might be a helpful for typing in the dark. Two does seem to be a bit overkill but it looks cool.

Yeah, I originally (not MMX again, person who owns it) put one on, but what the hey, we had two. We also made things out of Antec TriCool 120mm fans to keep hands from being sweaty and to cool an overheating laptop. :D

I plan to register here soon, but my account needs to be verified.

Constantly staring into bright lights is bad for your eyes...

I went as far as modding my FF so it always display in gray on black. Regardless of original page.

Blue has been proven to be the color that keeps the eyes awake. I used to do this during my freshman and sophomore years of college, when I needed to stay up studying. Took the cold cathodes out of my case and used them as lights.

Well, that would explain my eyes being almost frozen very wide open. I had to turn them off eventually.

Those bright lights just disturb actual use of display.
Back to the working bench with that display...
http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/transtft/index_eng4

That's just awesome.

Try them behind the monitor out of direct view.

I was going to say the same thing... having that much light so close to your eyes has GOT to be bad for you...

Other than that, awesome mod!! Love the cathode on the bottom!!

I was going to say the same thing... having that much light so close to your eyes has GOT to be bad for you...

Other than that, awesome mod!! Love the cathode on the bottom!!

Thanks!

Yeah, it probably is horrible for your eyes, but when I turn on the sound function, it's all worth it. :D

Now all I have to do is put a small hole in the back of the 300 to route the cords for the cathodes so I don't have to run it with the side off all the time.

Proof of concept of what? That you can mount bright and irritating lights around your monitor? I don't understand this "concept" that you're trying to prove.

Proof of concept of what? That you can mount bright and irritating lights around your monitor? I don't understand this "concept" that you're trying to prove.

obvious troll is obvious

he just mounted some lights outside a case where they're normally mounted.. ;)

Wow...it hurts my eyes looking at the photo lol. Anyways, look cool, but I don't think anyone could live with that for long.

It looks cool, but it'll hurt your eyes more.

Maybe put them behind the monitor, so that you're not staring directly at them.

Jeez, stop the flames. He is just trying to share what he was proud for, if you don't like it, you don't need to flame about it..

obvious troll is obvious

he just mounted some lights outside a case where they're normally mounted.. ;)

"Proof-of-concept" is fancy talk for "Huh, where can I put these.... hmmm... oh hahaha, this is kinda cool."

Jeez, stop the flames. He is just trying to share what he was proud for, if you don't like it, you don't need to flame about it..

I guess I was kind of overeager. I can't mod for shit and I like to tinker so any little thing I do I think is cool. :p:(

You might consider a external power supply that you can pick up from Radio Shack or online somewhere. Just a 12v with whatever Amperage rating those cathodes use combined. Hook a switch to it and put it under the desk or something and you got a pretty sweet ambient lighting mod. Now, if you were in to electronics you could get multi-cathodes and wire them up to a PCB that changes which cathode is lit and change the brightness so you can change between colors in a smooth fashion. Muwhaha, I'm such a geek.

damn coolermaster for those blue led case lights :p lol

would be cool if listening to music :).

Yeah, not to get off topic but why couldn't they have given me red led fans instead of blue led fans!? I will just have to get new fans and new power/hdd led's.

You might consider a external power supply that you can pick up from Radio Shack or online somewhere. Just a 12v with whatever Amperage rating those cathodes use combined. Hook a switch to it and put it under the desk or something and you got a pretty sweet ambient lighting mod. Now, if you were in to electronics you could get multi-cathodes and wire them up to a PCB that changes which cathode is lit and change the brightness so you can change between colors in a smooth fashion. Muwhaha, I'm such a geek.
I'm going to Google what you just said, because that sounds cool.

That's EXACTLY why they were there in the first place. hooked up the microphone box to the subwoofer.
look at the thread title, you gotta love the grammar of the internets
Yeah, I'm just some stupid redneck with a fourth-grade education hanging out in a mobile home.

I don't think "internets" is a word. I also think you were supposed to capitalize "look".

My friend wrote the thread title, don't blame me :p

My thoughts exactly. It's fun to try new and different things but there is no concept to be proven there.

you'll grow out of being a vampire at some point but by then, your eyes wont being seeing anything but darkness anyway. Pretty stupid to me. WEEEEE let's stare into the bright lights in dark! WEEE!!

My thoughts exactly. It's fun to try new and different things but there is no concept to be proven there.
It was mainly to get whoever asked why I did it to get off my back. ;)
you'll grow out of being a vampire at some point but by then, your eyes wont being seeing anything but darkness anyway. Pretty stupid to me. WEEEEE let's stare into the bright lights in dark! WEEE!!
Yeah, I did it for about an hour, but it sure looked cool.

I'm flattered you all reply to this thread so much. :)

That would annoy the heck out of me in about 5 minutes. Putting it behind something so it's not so "in-your-face" would likely look good though.

Like OMG me and my friend one afternoon for the time were playing wow and GIJoes and stuff and we were like bored and we had to do something! You know? And we like came up with this mod where we put lights on a monitor and we like created that no one ever in the world did, and i had to share it with you peoples, and my friend came up with this idea to post this on [H] and "Look at what me and my friend did" It's so cool, omg! And omg did you see my specs of my system? It's uber cool with blue fans! omg! And it's funny and its a just a proof-of-concept thing.

LOL wtf at this. Maybe you can have a system of multiple colored cathodes and imitate that ambient lighting system a lot of flat panel TV's have

Like OMG me and my friend one afternoon for the time were playing wow and GIJoes and stuff and we were like bored and we had to do something! You know? And we like came up with this mod where we put lights on a monitor and we like created that no one ever in the world did, and i had to share it with you peoples, and my friend came up with this idea to post this on [H] and "Look at what me and my friend did" It's so cool, omg! And omg did you see my specs of my system? It's uber cool with blue fans! omg! And it's funny and its a just a proof-of-concept thing.
Do you really feel better now that you've posted that? Sure, it's kinda silly, but we thought the entire image of the room, etc might be fun to put on [H].

You're also completely inaccurate. First of all, I don't play games. Second, I'm positive someone else has done this, but it's not as if posting this kills a puppy. I wanted to see what people thought of it, and you apparently

a) hate it with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns

or

b) caught me at the wrong time? Maybe you're having a bad day.

Oh, BTW..... that post.... damn, you should consider a career in stand-up. "omg". Comedy gold.
LOL wtf at this. Maybe you can have a system of multiple colored cathodes and imitate that ambient lighting system a lot of flat panel TV's have
That would be fun. :D

Back