Look at the 4080 launch price chart compared to the last 8 launches omg wow

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Nvidia is embarrassing and blatantly disrespectful. Look at this abhorrent launch price. Greed has blinded them because they are a "business" & they "will charge what the consumer will pay" practice is disgusting. Apparently there are 4080s all over the world sitting in stock on shelves because no, we won't pay what you ask. At least not unless some people want to flush money down the toilet. Definitely not for the value conscious consumer or else you are wasting money for poor value.
Screenshot_20221121-124312.png

I don't think the chart accounts for inflation etc.

And honestly it's really missing the ti parts and some kind of performance metric. Because a name only means so much and nvidia and AMD are both abusing that as much as possible.

Your chart makes Turing look good, but it wasn't like that. To most Pascal owners (esp 1080 ti ones, a $700 card you could even pre-order...) it was horrible value and the $1200+ 2080 ti was the only truly worthwhile upgrade path.

Yea the 4080 price is horrible and IMO nobody should touch that card at current prices. Either buy Ampere or save 300 more and get the 4090.

Let’s not forget the 12gb variant that was unlaunched. That’s actually plays into this story quite a bit.

I don't think the chart accounts for inflation etc.

And honestly it's really missing the ti parts and some kind of performance metric. Because a name only means so much and nvidia and AMD are both abusing that as much as possible.

Your chart makes Turing look good, but it wasn't like that. To most Pascal owners (esp 1080 ti ones, a $700 card you could even pre-order...) it was horrible value and the $1200+ 2080 ti was the only truly worthwhile upgrade path.

Yea the 4080 price is horrible and IMO nobody should touch that card at current prices. Either buy Ampere or save 300 more and get the 4090.
A quickie:

1669238399942.png

what would be a reasonable price for the 4080? My mind is settling on $800-$900 range.....

Nvidia is embarrassing and blatantly disrespectful. Look at this abhorrent launch price. Greed has blinded them because they are a "business" & they "will charge what the consumer will pay" practice is disgusting. Apparently there are 4080s all over the world sitting in stock on shelves because no, we won't pay what you ask. At least not unless some people want to flush money down the toilet. Definitely not for the value conscious consumer or else you are wasting money for poor value.View attachment 528878

Great chart, I recall buying my GTX-680 at Tiger Direct back over a decade ago for $599, and then my last video card purchase was my current RTX-3080 was $749 at Microcenter so in ten years the pricing went up approx. 25%, ok that makes sense. But now in 2022 the RTX-4080 is $1200+, making it 60% more expensive, in just two years.

So for a whole entire decade of video card launches nVidia was able to keep the pricing around $600 to $750 for the xx80-Series, then BAM a 60% price increase.

So in ten years the pricing went up 25%, but now in two years it goes up 60% WTF? That's not inflation is pure greed.

what would be a reasonable price for the 4080? My mind is settling on $800-$900 range.....

With inlfation, and the past decade of xx80-Series pricing at launch, the RTX-4080 should have a MSRP of $899 at the very most. ( $899 is factoring in 15% inflation, and lets say "supply chain issues" as well ) But the current $1200+ price is nothing more than greed and a middle finger to customers.

With inlfation, and the past decade of xx80-Series pricing at launch, the RTX-4080 should have a MSRP of $899 at the very most. ( $899 is factoring in 15% inflation, and lets say "supply chain issues" as well ) But the current $1200+ price is nothing more than greed and a middle finger to customers.
There has been far greater than 15% inflation over just the past two years. The CPI metric is a very low cherry-picked statistical average drawn up by the government. If one includes fuel costs, exchange factors, etc, it's way higher. It still doesn't account for the basically 50% increase, but I can assure you inflation is closer to, bare minimum, 30% average, if not more. It's kind of like how we're not in a recession, because the government decided to change the definition overnight.

There has been far greater than 15% inflation over just the past two years. The CPI metric is a very low cherry-picked statistical average drawn up by the government. If one includes fuel costs, exchange factors, etc, it's way higher. It still doesn't account for the basically 50% increase, but I can assure you inflation is closer to, bare minimum, 30% average, if not more. It's kind of like how we're not in a recession, because the government decided to change the definition overnight.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Since 2000, the average inflation rate seems to be between 1.5% to 4%, some years higher, other years less.

But the COVID years it shot up big time to 8% annually, and the latest report is due next month, so by then maybe it has gone up 25% during the pandemic time, these past 2+ years.

But it didn't go up anywhere near 70% per nVidia's price hike. Based on inflation and the RTX-3080 MSRP of $699 pricing at launch in Fall 2020, two years later the next gen RTX-4080 should realistically be priced approx. $875 to $925, that's based on 25% to 30% inflation in two years, which is being generous to nVidia.

Bottom line the $1200+ current price is mostly a greed markup, yes partially inflation is in that new high price, but a lot of it also is for greedy corporate profits.

I personally think the 4080 is about three hundred bucks too high for what it is. And the AIB cards selling for $1,399 + tax are crazy, so walking out the store with a new RTX-4080 will drain your wallet about $1500+. WTF

Last edited:
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Since 2000, the average inflation rate seems to be between 1.5% to 4%, some years higher, other years less.

But the COVID years it shot up big time to 8% annually, and the latest report is due next month, so by then maybe it has gone up 25% during the pandemic time, these past 2+ years.

But it didn't go up anywhere near 70% per nVidia's price hike. Based on inflation and the RTX-3080 MSRP of $699 pricing at launch in Fall 2020, two years later the next gen RTX-4080 should realistically be priced approx. $875 to $925, that's based on 25% to 30% inflation in two years, which is being generous to nVidia.

Bottom line the $1200+ current price is mostly a greed markup, yes partially inflation is in that new high price, but a lot of it also is for greedy corporate profits.

I personally think the 4080 is about three hundred bucks too high for what it is. And the AIB cards selling for $1,399 + tax are crazy, so walking out the store with a new RTX-4080 will drain your wallet about $1500+. WTF
You can say that, but even with the slow sales launch - It is now largely unavailable, even at microcenters. Mostly because the 30 series stock is gone. People are buying it at that price, and AMD's pricing at $1k doesn't 'help' either as much as people want to praise them for the 'value'. This pricing is the new norm for the higher-end ,and honestly, given how I remember PC pricing back in the early days - This pricing isn't that bad comparatively. I remember the high-end stuff back in the day costing me $10k - And that was in 1988 dollars. These days you can build the latest highest-end PC for not even half that price, not even including inflation. And again, don't bother quoting the current CPI values. When they changed how they calculated it back in 1978 it became a bullshit number that makes the situation seem better then it actually is.

I'm just basing it on MSRP pricing going back a decade.

GTX-680 @ $599 launched 2012
GTX-780 @ $649 launched 2013
GTX-980 @ $549 launched 2015
GTX-1080 @ $599 launched 2016
RTX-2080 @ $699 launched 2018
RTX-3080 @ $699 launched 2020

RTX-4080 @ $1,199 launched 2022

Something here seems way off.

Guess I'll quote myself to save some time.

Okay; I thought everyone knew by now, but I guess not. So I'll just go ahead and quote our friend from another thread because it bears repeating some more I guess.
And this surprises exactly nobody, Nvidia priced this stupidly intentionally to appease the AIBs so they can sell off their 3000 series cards, anybody who would be interested in the 4080 is actively waiting for 7900xtx reviews.
I would be very interested to know how many 4080s Nvidia has actually sold to AIBs to release and what they actually charged them for it.
Announce the price high, and direct sales to the 3000s, once those are sufficiently cleared out of the retail channels drop the price on the 4080 and below to make them more attractive so they start moving again.
Really until AMD puts their cards on the market and gets them into the retail channels it's Nvidia's game.

Doing the lords work I see

I could do $1k for a 4080. As is... I'll take a 4090 maybe, if I needed one.
I'm not sure if all the prices are accurate, especially on the older cards. I was quite surprised that not a lot of reviews actually mentioned prices in their reviews. I tried to keep it to the "xx80" product category, too, but I'm not too sure if I am accurate on the older cards from that perspective. Like would the GF2 Ultra really be in that category, or would it be considered a "Titan" card?

GTX 680 was $499. RTX 2080 was $799. :)

Funny enough the GTX 680 is when nvidia started being weird with the 80 class because that's when they start passing off the 104 tier dies as flagship 80 class cards. The only two 80 class cards on that list that actually used the biggest dies of the generation is the GTX 780 (GK110) and the RTX 3080 (GA102), the rest are all mid tier 104 dies being passed off as a flagship 80 class card (GK104, GM204, GP104, TU104, and AD103). Of course now the 80 class card is no longer the flagship but at least 3 tiers down from the 90 Ti, 90, and then 80 Ti.

Doing the lords work I see

I could do $1k for a 4080. As is... I'll take a 4090 maybe, if I needed one.
I stacked a coupon code and a credit card rewards promotion (I would not have used otherwise) and picked up an RTX 4080 for $1,000 at Best Buy. PM me for details if you're interested - note, you need a Best Buy credit card through Citi for this to work.

Last edited:
I stacked a coupon code and a credit card rewards promotion (I would not have used otherwise) and picked up an RTX 4080 for $1,000 at Best Buy. PM me for details if you're interested - note, you need a Best Buy credit card through Citi for this to work.
On a 3090 WC right now - the only one that would make real sense for me is a 4090, and until I find a 4k monitor I like, the 3090 is overkill @ 1440P still. Thanks though!

Silly me. I got the upgrade itch and bit, someone here said keep checking Best Buy daily and the FE card will come in stock.

That was literally yesterday, this guy told me that here, so I checked this morning and they were in stock, I thought about it for a second, had 9 minutes to make my decision to keep in cart, and I knew I had an old Gift Card from BB that I never used, so I siad F it, ok. And I did check for the 4090 first, but it was Sold Out

I bought the FE because it's the cheapest version and I had an old $200 Best Buy gift card sitting in my wallet for months. I use that. So got it for the price I wanted it for $999.

Attachments

• PXL_20221201_191044121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221201_191044121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221201_191059856.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221201_191059856.PORTRAIT.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The 4080 is a JOKE and an embarressment. It's a symbol of Nvidia's GREED and being out of touch with the customers.

People who want the best will buy the 4090 of course. But those 4080's are collecting DUST right now.

Hard pass, I'll wait for a 5080 if it comes in with reasonable performance within spitting distance of a 4090 and a price around $699.

Silly me. I got the upgrade itch and bit, someone here said keep checking Best Buy daily and the FE card will come in stock.

That was literally yesterday, this guy told me that here, so I checked this morning and they were in stock, I thought about it for a second, had 9 minutes to make my decision to keep in cart, and I knew I had an old Gift Card from BB that I never used, so I siad F it, ok. And I did check for the 4090 first, but it was Sold Out

I bought the FE because it's the cheapest version and I had an old $200 Best Buy gift card sitting in my wallet for months. I use that. So got it for the price I wanted it for $999.
Lol.

You can say that, but even with the slow sales launch - It is now largely unavailable, even at microcenters. Mostly because the 30 series stock is gone. People are buying it at that price, and AMD's pricing at $1k doesn't 'help' either as much as people want to praise them for the 'value'. This pricing is the new norm for the higher-end ,and honestly, given how I remember PC pricing back in the early days - This pricing isn't that bad comparatively. I remember the high-end stuff back in the day costing me $10k - And that was in 1988 dollars. These days you can build the latest highest-end PC for not even half that price, not even including inflation. And again, don't bother quoting the current CPI values. When they changed how they calculated it back in 1978 it became a bullshit number that makes the situation seem better then it actually is.
I can build a 10k computer doessn't mean i am gonna sit here and justify nvidia stupid pricing. When things are luxury, new, they cost more, so back in the days when it wasn't a every day thing you paid more to have that special toy. These are not those days.

4080 can be purchased anywhere. Its available, micro center has shit ton. Even my best that never even had an ampere card had 2 gigabyte and 1 FE yesterday lmao sitting there. Sure some people that are desperate will. But its still not selling out like it should cuz people know the greed. This card will be quick to get price I can bet a pretty penny on it. Q1 I think it will be 100-200 cheaper easy.

Let's not kid ourselves, the price you paid was still $1199. A $200 gift card is still a form of payment and not a discount.

The RTX 4080 is going to continue to be $1200+ and not a good value until Nvidia can clear stock of their remaining 30 series GPUs. Then I anticipate the RTX 4080 will drop down to $999 and a RTX 4080 Ti will be released to fill that $1200 price point not long after.

The RTX 4090 (especially the FE) will continue to restock at a slow trickle until the remaining 30 series cards are gone. It'll likely continue to sell out at $1600 for months to come which means we'll likely see the 4090 Ti further down the road compared to the 4080 Ti.

I wanted 4080 for other pc. The only reason I will buy a 4080 is so I can use it and return that shit back lmao. That is what nvidia deserves. I never do that but its kinda me wanting to get back about their stupid pricing lmao.

Let's not kid ourselves, the price you paid was still $1199. A $200 gift card is still a form of payment and not a discount.

The RTX 4080 is going to continue to be $1200+ and not a good value until Nvidia can clear stock of their remaining 30 series GPUs. Then I anticipate the RTX 4080 will drop down to $999 and a RTX 4080 Ti will be released to fill that $1200 price point not long after.

The RTX 4090 (especially the FE) will continue to restock at a slow trickle until the remaining 30 series cards are gone. It'll likely continue to sell out at $1600 for months to come which means we'll likely see the 4090 Ti further down the road compared to the 4080 Ti.
This exactly lmao.

The RTX 4080 is going to continue to be $1200+ and a bad value until Nvidia can clear stock of their remaining 30 series GPUs. Then I anticipate the RTX 4080 will drop down to $999 and a RTX 4080 Ti will be released to fill that $1200 price point not long after.

But dude, the itch! lol

Guys It's pretty rude to spoil the guys new purchase. Like poor sportsmanship lol. I'm sure he already knows it was overpriced and a bit poor value. The thing is sometimes you just don't wanna deal with waiting even if it's the more cost effective thing to do. Let him enjoy the hell out of his shiny new toy. If he can financially afford it why spoil it for him? Everyone in this thread or forum for that matter know the 4080 is 2-300 dollars off the mark, no need to rub it in. I'll say this though. Even if something is %15 or %20 more expensive than it should be, it doesn't make it any worse of a product for It's intended use which is great performance per watt. It's just the performance per dollar that isn't good.

Guys It's pretty rude to spoil the guys new purchase. Like poor sportsmanship lol. I'm sure he already knows it was overpriced and a bit poor value. The thing is sometimes you just don't wanna deal with waiting even if it's the more cost effective thing to do. Let him enjoy the hell out of his shiny new toy. If he can financially afford it why spoil it for him? Everyone in this thread or forum for that matter know the 4080 is 2-300 dollars off the mark, no need to rub it in. I'll say this though. Even if something is %15 or %20 more expensive than it should be, it doesn't make it any worse of a product for It's intended use which is great performance per watt. It's just the performance per dollar that isn't good.
never gonna complain about anyone buying this card. Its their wallet to me, shit even if I picked it up. But I will still call it shit value by nvidia lmao and bitch about it cuz they deserve it. Not the buyers being squeezed.

It's all gravy we are all grown men here.. or maybe I am...old lol kinda
The 4090 waterblocked is 2600 stick that in your pipe n smoke it lmao

It's ok to overspend. But if you did, maybe spend a little more and get a 4090, where the performance premium justifies the price.

The 4080 price now is just a slap in the face of the consumer.

And when the 5080 comes out, good luck unloading that 4080!

But just to be clear, I'm not making fun of the people who buy the 4080. Your money is yours to spend. On principle, I could never buy a 4080 at these greedy price points. Nvida should be ASHAMED of themselves! Only a poor launch will wake them up that they need to change their pricing strategies for next generation of video cards.

BTW I used to proudly rock a GTX 1080 back in the day so I'm no hater of Nvidia. But I only support them when the value and the performance match up. I don't care about Red/Green - give me the best price/performance that my money can buy!

The bad thing with a chart like this which just further exposes how bad things have gotten, is the 4080 is not even comparable to say what a GTX 580 was in its day. What we call a "Titan" or a "90-class" card now was just the GTX 580 back then. That was a fully unlocked, top-tier die based card. By contrast, the 4080 and most every 80-class card in each gen since then have been second tier die based cards, sometimes fully unlocked, other times heavily cut down (like the 780).

• GTX 580 - GF110
  • GTX 680 - GK104
  • GTX 780 - GK110 (used top consumer class die, but cut down)
  • GTX 980 - GM204
  • GTX 1080 - GP104
  • RTX 2080/Super - TU104
  • RTX 3080 - GA102 (used top consumer class die, but cut down)
  • RTX 4080 - AD103

So I feel dumb for just finding out that 4080 and 4090 use the same damn size cooler? LMAO I thought it would be little smaller so I can easily fit my side panel with plug in if I was to consider one. I am not sure wtf to make of it. Why do that to the 4080 lmao.

Back